Author Topic: New sheep guardian puppy  (Read 327 times)

Offline MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
New sheep guardian puppy
« on: October 23, 2017, 07:23:19 PM »
I thought I had posted a recent picture of our Akbash puppy but can't find it.  Thor is 15 weeks old and just went over 37 pounds this morning. Our Pyrenees Maisy literally adopted him and started showing him the ropes after two weeks of keeping him away from the sheep.  She would leave him by our shop when she went out on patrol and would let him out with her at night since the sheep bed down until it starts to get light.  We were starting to worry that she was keeping him away from the sheep completely but then we noticed she would take him around once the sheep seemed to accept him and he started his growth spurt.  His sire is 140 pounds and judging by Thor's feet he will probably also be a big boy.  He is getting more obedience training than you normally do for a guardian but I don't have any desire to fight with a dog as big as I am. :)

Smart is an understatement and even at such a young age is acting like an adult around the sheep.
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
Re: New sheep guardian puppy
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 08:58:53 AM »
Very Cool!
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 06:35:26 PM »
Nice post, he does look like he could be a bigun!

Offline MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 08:30:01 PM »
Our Great Pyrenees has been the wonder.  She has taken care of all of the training so far.  We expect some issues when he hits the year point but most of them do.

Offline Ben

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 03:03:36 PM »
Mike it's always enjoyable to watch  working dog work, whether it be a sheep dog, a Beagle chasing rabbits, a squirrel dog working out to tree a squirrel, a Bluetick tracking and treeing big cats, a bull dog catching hogs, duck dog retrieving ducks. or a bird dog tracking, pointing and flushing birds.

We raised cattle and had a blond Border collie for working cattle.   When growing up there was  cowboy that hauled cattle for other cattlemen.  He had an extra pad behind the saddle that his dog would ride behind him until they would get to the pasture where the cattle were to be worked.  The do was trained well and very interesting to watch work cattle.

Still enjoy reading your post.  Keep em coming.

Ben
Northwest La. zone 8b

Offline MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
Re: New sheep guardian puppy & sheep
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 06:43:04 PM »
 I was putting some electric netting into a virgin grassy area and the sheep were wondering what's taking me so long to let them in.  Half of them have been with the ram going on two months now and the other half was put in with him at the end of the September. Most are visibly pregnant and are looking in great condition.  Maisy also knows there will be some new smells to check out.

The pup is still putting on over 1/2 pound a day.

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 07:33:52 AM »
dang that is a big puppy.   :o   he is almost as big as her already!

the older dog has beautiful eyes!  she looks like she is wearing perfectly done eyeliner.  really makes her eyes pop.

thanks for the pics!  glad to hear he will be a good working dog for you.  :)
post something!  c'mon...you know ya wanna...  :)

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 07:40:01 AM »
I agree Maisy has beautiful eyes!

And the Pup is getting big  fast  3 1/2 lbs a week.. WOW
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 08:40:30 PM »
About twice a week we get him on the golf cart and bring him up to the house so he can stay socialized with our herding dogs. Plus we want to make him not be afraid of vehicles.  I have no desire to fight with a 140 pound dog to take him to the vet.  He is friendly to both our herding dogs but the Aussie is afraid of him so we will keep that in mind.  He is already bigger than the Border Collie.

Offline MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 04:50:51 PM »
The Akbash pup was 14 weeks on the 9th and is just under 50 pounds as of this morning.

Maisy (I'm glad to note) is staying really close to the sheep now that they are in a new pasture that has more open area. The first picture is of the sheep and the next two are the dogs just outside of the frame. I watch the interaction with the dogs and Thor will make some kind of contact with Maisy before laying down beside her. If he doesn't do anything and just flops down, Maisy will move to another spot.

For being so young he is a serious little fella. :)

Offline MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 06:29:30 PM »
Our neighbor about 1/2 mile away has a potbelly pig that decided it wanted to tour the hillside.  I thought our Border Collie was going to chew through his kennels wire trying to get out.  The pig followed the fence around until it got to the catch area of our sheep pen and the guardian dogs went spastic.  Maisy was trying to bite through the wire and the pup had his hair standing about two inches higher at the shoulders

The pup was 54 pounds this afternoon.  His growth spurt has slowed a little but not much.

Offline MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 04:59:22 PM »
I finally had the camera in the truck when I was out finishing up the last few T-posts. The dogs always usually hang out near where I'm working so that's usually when I can get some candid shots. Maisy has been jumping on Thor for what seems to me to be a non problem but I'll leave them along as long as no harm is done. I didn't see what caused it this time but I'm guessing it was over a stick. Thor is teething and will chew on anything he can find. I didn't see Maisy take Thor down but after it was all done Maisy went and picked up a stick that looked like the one Thor was chewing on and walked off with it. Sooooo, either Maisy had it and Thor tried to take it away and the battle ensued or maybe the other way. Thor is still smaller than Maisy so she can take him down but he is fighting back and his isn't just noise.  Maisy is starting to notice that the boy isn't just laying there any longer so she better get her licks in while she can. A little over 60 lbs this afternoon.

The puppy look is all but gone on the boy now.

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 05:43:35 PM »
yep----he is growing fast. Maisy had better watch out!!