Author Topic: Catfishing  (Read 980 times)

Offline PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Catfishing
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2017, 06:46:30 PM »
Rat, I went and set hooks again this evening, but it will be kinda like a experiment too---because I did not set the traps the last few days in the ponds to catch some live bait/bream---only had about 1 dozen bream and I set probably 35 hooks so I used cut bait(frozen bream), a cut up greater siren, a couple pieces of a black snake and some home-made bream sausage I made---so I guess I will see in the morning what happens. It will be in the 30's when I head out to take the hooks up before daylight. I told My Wife "Some People Don't Have Enough Sence To Stay home" LOL. We will See! 

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2017, 09:37:12 PM »
PD >< as i was reading your post, i was wondering if any of those Bream U catch in the tap are big enough to Hold Corn Meal. I would be frying them Bones and All >< Then U get on down there and start talking about Bream sausage , Now that's a new one on me, I never heard of making sausage with Bream, I Love Bream fried whole, as we grew up there was no such thing of Filet any thing, didn't matter how big or how small, larger cat fish where cut into steaks, like pork chops. it all got salt & Pepper and run through the corm meal, them Hot grease, there were 7 kids in my family, so with 9 moths to feed not much got wasted, we had a good life, always had a milk cow, lots of chickens & a Big Garden 

I do remember one time we were catching so many white bass, my Mother started steaming them, she would them remove the meat, and place it in a tomato gravy 

Hope U load The Boat tomorrow 

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2017, 04:38:29 AM »
Rat---you are so right. We never filleted any fish growing up. We also prepared them the way y'all did----and I still do for any fish I fry. The best catfish I ever ate was caught fresh on the White River in Arkansas and fried immediately at a restaurant there on the bank of the river----think it had a name like Joshua's or something. Turnover time from the river to the table was almost instantly. I will never forget the taste....it was awesome!!!

Offline PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2017, 08:12:02 AM »
PD >< as i was reading your post, i was wondering if any of those Bream U catch in the tap are big enough to Hold Corn Meal. I would be frying them Bones and All >< Then U get on down there and start talking about Bream sausage , Now that's a new one on me, I never heard of making sausage with Bream, I Love Bream fried whole, as we grew up there was no such thing of Filet any thing, didn't matter how big or how small, larger cat fish where cut into steaks, like pork chops. it all got salt & Pepper and run through the corm meal, them Hot grease, there were 7 kids in my family, so with 9 moths to feed not much got wasted, we had a good life, always had a milk cow, lots of chickens & a Big Garden 

I do remember one time we were catching so many white bass, my Mother started steaming them, she would them remove the meat, and place it in a tomato gravy 

Rat

LOL, I got a Laugh on the Bream Sausage----Its not something I would Eat. What I do is grind the whole smaller bream---head, innards and all and stuff it in the catfish guts or some link sausage casing I had left from the last sausage making.. I did catch a couple last night on it. Last night I caught 8 cats and 1 mudfish but the biggest cat was in the 10lb range--even the mud was around that weight. The greater siren caught 3 and still got it to reuse for the next trip----LOL---Tough stuff.

The bream in the traps--some of my traps I made with 1x2" wire so I do not catch smaller bream with them----some of the bream will go 1/2 or 3/4lb---good eating size. BUT I eat all the bream I want---so I even use these bigger ones for bait.

Personally I have always filet ALL the fish I eat--including bream, BUT my 81 year old Mother wants them scaled----even the Mudfish---I do what she wants even though I want to filet--LOL.

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2017, 09:58:04 AM »
P D >< That the Difference, Your Mother & i are in the same Class, I make 80 in a couple days, we came up in the days every thing had to be eaten, That sausage U are making Might work in a Seafood Gumbo >< LOL  Glad U Got some nice fish, That fish U are calling a Mud fish, is that a Mud Cat, or what we call a shoepic ( Spelling ) our mud cats never get that big that i have ever seen

Rabbit >, U done got me to thinking about the best fish i think i ever ate >< way back in the early 50s my Dad, brother & i were fishing in Bayou Sorrel which is inside the Atchafalaya flood way >< Back in those days there were Families living on houseboats, they would tie up near the woods, not next to the levee, I think that was to keep them safe from what ever >< the way i remember those Houseboats, they are sort of like a Miniature Shotgun House, small porch on both ends, Maybe 30 ft. long, by maybe 10 ft. widr
while we were fishing Dad had noticed one of the Houseboats had a sign Fresh Fish, about Lunch time Dad went by and  asked a Lady if she had any fish, she pulled up a live box out of the water and showed Dad a couple catfish, Dad picked out one (Best I can Remember it was about 5 to 7#) and asked her it she would cook it, They made a deal and The lady said she would give us a call (Not on a Cell PH LOL) any way we went on fishing in the area, about a hour or so Later She gave us The Swamp Call ><That Lady had cleaned that catfish, cut it up like Pork Chops, Catfish Steaks, seasoned & fried it up, placed it in a Brown Paper Bag, with a Onion sliced on top and a few slices of Bread >< Now U talk about some Good eating, We ate it ALL

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2017, 10:33:02 AM »
Whelp, that does it, Rat. Got to go get me some fish to fry for tonight. Won't be as good as fresh caught but after all this talk, I am craving some catfish, big time!!

Offline PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2017, 01:40:37 PM »
P D >< That the Difference, Your Mother & i are in the same Class, I make 80 in a couple days, we came up in the days every thing had to be eaten, That sausage U are making Might work in a Seafood Gumbo >< LOL  Glad U Got some nice fish, That fish U are calling a Mud fish, is that a Mud Cat, or what we call a shoepic ( Spelling ) our mud cats never get that big that i have ever seen

Rat

Yes I came up hard too and sucked Many fish bones---LOL.

No, that sausage would not be good in Seafood Gumbo---its got head, bones innards, the whole fish is ground---Just something I tried. I did not catch any Flatheads on it but them Blues seem to like it. That greater siren/eel looking thing has caught several---usually after I take the fish off the hook---the cut up piece of greater siren I have to get a hold on it with pliers and snatch it off or cut a slice to get the hook out---then I refreeze it and use it again the next trip---well if I do not have live bait.

No, a Mudfish is a Bowfin---do a search----I forgot what the record is for my state---a little over 20lbs I think. Your State is probably close. The one I caught a week or so back was the biggest I have ever caught that I weighed. I have caught some good size ones back when I was Bass Fishing---years back, but I just throwed them back---probably not more than the 13lb one??
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 01:44:41 PM by PD-Riverman »

Offline Ben

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2017, 08:58:22 AM »
LakeRat, PD- Riverman  Just wanted to thank you for this thread.  I have really enjoyed it. It brings back old time memories.   I am not able to fish or hunt anymore but enjoy relating to the old times. 

In the late 60's we would set out trot lines in Feb and March and catch ice chest full of 14-18" blue channel catfish.  We would skin them, meal them and fry whole along with fresh cut French fries, homemade hushpuppies, and  sliced onion.  A meal fit for a King. especially when cooked at the lakeshore.  Would have the lady folks and families join us the next day for dinner on the Lakeshore.

Ben
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 09:02:47 AM by Ben »
Northwest La. zone 8b

Offline setx_gardener

• Grasshopper
  • The true test of character is what one does when n
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2017, 09:59:58 AM »

Hey, mudfish? Is that a mudcat? If so, that is one of the flathead's favorite foods. Hook him in the mouth or in the back and see what you can catch. Probably get a big ole op!!
Rat

LOL, I got a Laugh on the Bream Sausage----Its not something I would Eat. What I do is grind the whole smaller bream---head, innards and all and stuff it in the catfish guts or some link sausage casing I had left from the last sausage making.. I did catch a couple last night on it. Last night I caught 8 cats and 1 mudfish but the biggest cat was in the 10lb range--even the mud was around that weight. The greater siren caught 3 and still got it to reuse for the next trip----LOL---Tough stuff.

The bream in the traps--some of my traps I made with 1x2" wire so I do not catch smaller bream with them----some of the bream will go 1/2 or 3/4lb---good eating size. BUT I eat all the bream I want---so I even use these bigger ones for bait.

Personally I have always filet ALL the fish I eat--including bream, BUT my 81 year old Mother wants them scaled----even the Mudfish---I do what she wants even though I want to filet--LOL.
35 x 45 Raised bed garden
Lumberton, TX
Zone 9

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2017, 06:20:26 PM »
Well i am done fishing for this year, got my lines put away, want be catfishing till March, I am starting to get ready for some Deer hunting, done bush hogged all the roads, checked out the deer blinds, Buddy heaters in place, picked up my deer tags today, about got the yard ready for winter, I guess about the only thing i have left to make happen is to make up a batch of Fruit Cake Cookies, I love to go to one of these deer blinds early in the morning with a thermos of Hot Coffee and 4 or 5 of those Fruit Cake Cookies, My favorite Blind set on a spoil bank about 50 yards from the Miss River, I Love to see the Sun come up, Its like the World is Waking UP, to me That's living the Good Life, we eat 3 deer a year

Rat 
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.

Offline PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2017, 07:20:51 PM »
Well i am done fishing for this year, got my lines put away, want be catfishing till March, I am starting to get ready for some Deer hunting, done bush hogged all the roads, checked out the deer blinds, Buddy heaters in place, picked up my deer tags today, about got the yard ready for winter, I guess about the only thing i have left to make happen is to make up a batch of Fruit Cake Cookies, I love to go to one of these deer blinds early in the morning with a thermos of Hot Coffee and 4 or 5 of those Fruit Cake Cookies, My favorite Blind set on a spoil bank about 50 yards from the Miss River, I Love to see the Sun come up, Its like the World is Waking UP, to me That's living the Good Life, we eat 3 deer a year

Rat

I am planning to go set hooks tomorrow evening if nothing comes up. I did not go last week because of the holliday---the river landings were LOADED with campers, boats in the water, camp fires every where. I got 6 landings within 15 minutes of my home---all had people camping. Maybe the river will be back to normal now, but duck season is in so I might have to deal with a few of them. I got my little boat about ready to put the motor on it. I want to use it to get into some of the lakes off the river, that my bigger boat want get into----I do not know if there is any catfish in those-----they are a lot deeper from one end to the other than the river except for the coves of the river. I will also use this smaller boat come spring to bass fish----this boat had ALOT of bass flipped into it in mid/latter 1980's---Hundreds. I want to try bass fishing again after all these years. I will let you know if I have any Luck tomorrow night.

Ben, I am Glad you are enjoying this post---Hang around and we will see if I can catch some tomorrow night.

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2017, 12:20:10 PM »
PD >< I think there are catfish every where, sometimes they just don't want to eat what we offer, on of the Pits i fish in has a deep hole compared to the rest of the Pit,  most of it runs from 3 ft around the edges to 15 ft out in the open, there is one cut that around 30 ft, i think that is a place that the river may have cut Years ago, any  way i set a line across the deep cut, went beck and checked it a couple hr. later, had 4 or 5 channel cats, so the next morning i went back and had a number of catfish, but every one was dead, talked to a old timer, he said that there was low or no oxygen at that level, i have never had that to happen before, i do fish in that cut, but don't set trot lines in there anymore, in the spring i do catch some nice white perch around the edges of that cut, this pit is i guess a 100 or so acres, its know as the Blue Hole, because of the deep cut,

I hear U PD about all the Campers, I Love for them to have fun while they have time, they don't have to worry about me setting lines when they are around, I love it when i am the only one on the water for miles, these pits i fish are behind locked gate, so i don't worry about boat traffic there, The best fishing here in the Lake that is my back yard is in the early spring before everyone decides to go fishing, in early March before the Gators wake UP, if fishing yoyos the gators will tare them up, the catfish are still biting here in the lake according to one of my friends, he sets a couple yoyos every evening from his Deck, a place like i live, one could never go Hungary unless he's to lazy to Scratch
as we say living on The Back Side of The Lake cant be Bet

Good Luck PD  >< Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.

Online PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2017, 03:56:48 PM »
Rat you are living the life and in a beautiful place. I only wish I was so lucky, so if I don't win the Lottery I'll be spending the rest of my life right here. I may be going up there soon and if I do I'll give ya a holler.

By the way I spoke to Josh the other day and he told me he is moving to Monroe, in fact he may have already moved. He will keep his place on the lake but will only visit it on week ends. He ain't happy.
"gene"

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2017, 04:17:21 PM »
Paw Paw >< I tell everyone that i Live Next Door to Heaven >< This is one of the Best places that i know of to live, i know there are some that may be fancier, I would not trade with any of them, Best Neighbors in the world bar non, we all look out for one another, while still staying out of each others business, we have our own unspoken Neighbor Hood Watch back her eon the Back Side,

Rat

PS: Gene if U get up this way, come by i have something for U
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.

Offline PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2017, 06:41:38 AM »
Well I did not have a dry Haul, but not the best night. I caught 4 Cats(biggest about 14lbs) and 2 Bowfins(mudfish biggest was about 8lbs). A lot of people Love the Bowfin---My Mother and My Wife for 2. I tried setting hooks different---a person that sets hooks a lot told me to set farther away from the bank and deeper---I did, but have had better luck closer to the bank and not as deep. I set about 40 hooks and there was bait on atleast 20 hooks when I took them up----so even the bait stealers were not as active, But again I baited different---I baited all the hooks after dark. I tied them on before dark then went back through the line and baited after dark. I also set in a Lake that I have caught some cats but not as good of luck as another couple spots.
 I do not have any experience in catfishing in the colder months---I am sure they are not as active??

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2017, 08:03:19 AM »
PD,
The cats will bite in cooler weather. We use cut up bream for bait and the bigger the bait, the bigger fish you catch. If you bait in to shallow of water, the turtles will enjoy your bait before the cats can get to it. We weight the lines down away from the ends and have good success. Typically, the cats come into the shallows to feed at night. When we fish the lakes or creeks we catch more cats at night than during the daytime.

I hope you catch a boat load!!
Double B
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2017, 06:24:04 PM »
Well I guess I will see how good they bite tonight---in this colder weather we are having---I just got back home from setting close 40 hooks---most all with live bait. I set them in a New place, but most all are set on the drop off's---close to some of the deeper water on the river in my area. It will be about 30 degree's when I go in the morning to check/take them up. Sure would Be Nice to get a Good size one---LOL.

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2017, 07:09:30 PM »
GOOD Luck PD, Hope U Load The BOAT >< I would not want to trade places with U tomorrow Morning >< I will be in a Heated deer blind with Hot Coffee & a Hand Full of Fruit Cake Cookies to watch the world Wake  UP

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.

Offline PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2017, 06:20:54 AM »
Well 27 degree's when I hit the water at 4:30 am, 90% of the app 40 hooks still had the bait on them only 2 had a fish---a 6/7 lb cat and a mudfish about the same size----not a very good Morning----I guess they do not like these cold days/nights??

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2017, 11:39:56 AM »
PD >< There is always Tomorrow >< U did get enough for couple meals >< Its hard to starve out a Country Boy >< We will fine something to Eat

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.