Author Topic: Presto Pressure Canner on a Camp Stove?  (Read 229 times)

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
Presto Pressure Canner on a Camp Stove?
« on: November 28, 2017, 12:26:17 PM »
The book says not to use the canner on any outdoor gas unit in excess of 12,000 BTUs.  My Camp Chef stove goes to 30,000 BTUs.

Has anyone successfully circumvented this recommendation, and NOT burned up the canner?  Cheap, made in China, material....

LMK.

Thanks! 
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
Re: Presto Pressure Canner on a Camp Stove?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 02:11:32 PM »
We have an All American that we use regularly and it doesn't burn but we have a diffuser (I think that is what it's called) that sits over the burner to keep the flame from going up the sides.  We only have to turn the stove about half way on.
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 06:13:30 PM »
Thanks, Mike.

I need to know whether the Presto Pressure Canner could be used with such a diffuser, on a camp stove...
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 07:23:54 PM »
I have 2 Pressure Cookers, one is a Presto and the other a Mirro, i use them lots of time on a 2 burner propane camp type stove, I thinks one of the reasons they warn about somethings over 12,000 BTU is that they don't want the pot to be heated real fast, even when using in the house we don't use high on the stove, when i use them on the camp stove i just set a nice soft flame, I think if U just watch your flame, and not run it to hard U will be fine

U must have a regulator on the propane bottle to be able to lower the pressure on the gas, that how i control my burner >< I figure when U say Gas, U are thing Propane gas. not Gasoline. 

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Online SpringTxGardener

• Grasshopper
  • Located between Spring and The Woodlands Texas, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 09:17:25 PM »
Gymgirl, I have 2 of the 23 quart Presto pressure canners and the same Camp Chef propane stove you have and I can all summer long using it on my patio.     It works great and sure saves not heating up the house during the summer.    Just don't turn the burner on full blast and you will be fine.    I turn the burner on between low and medium when heating the canner up to steam for ten minutes.     Usually the burner is on the lowest setting when pressure has come up and it holds between 12 and 13 pounds pressure (which is slightly above the recommended 11 pounds pressure for my altitude).

Let me see if I can post a pic.   

« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 09:27:04 PM by SpringTxGardener »
Arlie

Offline bigboberta

• Grasshopper
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 08:45:26 AM »
I also have a 23 quart Presto canner and use it on a outdoor burner similar to the picture above with no problems. I did buy the Jiggler that you can set 5 10 or 15 lb pressure and I also run the flame on low.

Bob
Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 09:54:36 AM »
I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!

LakeRat1,
Yeah, that would be a propane gas camp stove!

MikeM,
I use my All American on the camp stove with no problem.  Haven't needed the diffuser.  I keep the flame at the lowest setting I can to keep the pressure where it needs to be.

SpringTXGardener,
Yep, that's the exact set-up I envision for my Presto.  I read the manual from cover to cover, and find that the settings for the Presto are a little different than for my AA Canner.  Have to remember it's 11 lbs. of pressure on the Presto.  My AA is 10 lbs. of pressure.  Glad to know I can hover between 12-13 lbs. with the Presto.

Bigboberta,
I went ahead and ordered the 3-in-1 jiggler when I ordered the Presto, after reading the reviews lamenting having to babysit the canner without one!  They just want to make you order something else, because, that 3-in-1 should come standard with the canner they ship.

Hugs, guys!

P.S.  SpringTxgardener,
What things are you canning in the summertime? 

I just spent the Thanksgiving break canning up a storm.  My first real canning sessions, and I think I'm hooked!  So far, I've canned about 15 quarts of chicken legs, carrots, beans, ham hocks, and stock.  I'll be tackling sweeties, soon as I find them on sale again!  Got some gorgeous ones for $.29/lb. right before Thanksgiving, but now they're up to $.50/lb. 

Will wait for sweeties and cranberries to go on sale again.

Online SpringTxGardener

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 08:27:35 PM »
Gymgirl, I can green beans, carrots, potatoes and tomatoes from my garden.   I canned 7 quarts of collard greens last week but I haven't opened a jar and tasted them yet.    I also can chicken, beef roasts, pork loins, pinto beans, navy beans and lima beans when the price is right at the grocery store.     It is sure nice to open a couple of jars and have a meal ready in minutes, my version of fast food.
Arlie

Online tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
  • Hillbilly Gardener, amongst many other things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 09:09:21 AM »
Gymgirl when I use one my Prestos on the Camp Chefs I use an iron plate on the burner as a diffuser (I think it's an old griddle, don't know for sure, got it at a yard sale a hundred years ago)... I think with a lot of the newer designs they use those cladded bottoms to more evenly distribute the heat on it and the intensity of direct flame might, MIGHT be able to screw up the cladding making it separate IIRC..that's my understanding of it anyway...so just to keep it from happening I use the griddle thing. My daughter in law uses a square piece of 3/16 sheet steel she got somewhere as a diffuser for her Prestos...from june through august we are canning all the time I have a small All American, holds 7 quarts and a Large one 14 quarts and two of the 23 qt prestos that I have had forever...if you take care of them they will outlast you....lol
Crack O' Noon Farms.
In the Mountains of Old Virginia.
Proud Appalachian-American.

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 12:12:43 PM »
Gymgirl, I canned 7 quarts of collard greens last week but I haven't opened a jar and tasted them yet.  I also can chicken, beef roasts, pork loins, pinto beans, navy beans and lima beans when the price is right at the grocery store.     It is sure nice to open a couple of jars and have a meal ready in minutes, my version of fast food.

Hey, Arlie!
I've been promised a bag of fresh collards for the weekend, and would like to can them up.  Never have canned any greens before, so I would appreciate a short tutorial on how you did yours.

I've canned 30 lbs. of chicken legs (raw packed) so far, and love that EZ process!  I've thrown them into some quickie soups and some gumbo, and it is truly convenient!  Next,  I want to do breasts and thighs, and then move on to canning the turkey meat that will soon be going on sale (again). 

Finally, I'll move into beef, but, I'd like to ask you to please guide me on the beef canning.  Some of the YouTubers spoke about the cuts of beef that are best for canning.  Seems the leaner cuts without so much marbling work best, yes?  Mostly, I want beef to throw into soups & stews. 

Much appreciated, in advance!

Hugs!

Online SpringTxGardener

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 02:44:03 PM »
Gymgirl, I cut the cut the stems out of the collards cut them up and place in a large pot with water and boil them for about 20-30 minutes so the collards are wilted down.     In the mean time prepare your jars for canning.    Fill the jars with collards, leaving about 1.25 inch of space to the top of the jar (head space).    Do not pack the collards in the jar.    Fill the jars with hot water, leaving one inch of head space.   If canning quarts, add one teaspoon of salt or if pints add one-half teaspoon.    Can at 11 pounds of pressure for 75 minutes for pints or 90 minutes for quarts.    To make them extra yummy, you may want to add some ham hock or bacon to the jars before adding the collards.     Processing time remains the same as you are already canning at meat processing times.

My information comes from:

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_home.html

Good luck and let us know how they turn out.    I had a quart for supper last night with some pepper vinegar on them and I have to say they were pretty tasty.

As far as canning beef, I can any cut that is on sale and around here that is usually chuck roast.    I cut off any large chunks of fat but I don't go overboard in trying to trim off every little bit.     I use the raw pack method and fill the jar to a one inch head space, add water and can.    It is written that you do not have to add water (or broth) when using the raw pack method, but I haven't tried to do it that way.     If you follow the directions in the link above, you will have a good, safe product.

One other thing I believe is important.    Be very careful following any directions on YouTube, they may or may not be safe.    Always verify using the link above or the Ball Blue Book.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 02:59:23 PM by SpringTxGardener »
Arlie

Online tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 10:33:54 PM »
Gymgirl I think the reason most people say to use the leaner cuts of beef is because the fat can cause sealing problems with the jars if there is too much. I honestly wouldn't know cause I don't can much beef. I can a lot of venison though ...75 minutes for pints and 90 minutes for quarts and in pints I stick one beef bullion cube and in the quarts 2 cubes.  I also add water to within an inch...easy peasy.
Crack O' Noon Farms.

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 10:05:58 AM »
Thank you, Arlie, and Tangentalstorm!

Arlie,
I usually cook my collards overnight (9-10 hours) in a slow cooker, with 2-3 ham hocks, 2 TBSP Season All Brand Seasoning, 1/2 Tsp fine ground black pepper, and 1-1/2 cups each chopped onions and bell peppers.  This is the same way I cook red beans in my slow cooker.  Exact same seasoning.

I wanted to recreate this same recipe for my canning jars, so, when I did the red beans, I DE-constructed the recipe.

I measured out the water I would use in the slow cooker, and the seasonings, then boiled the ham hocks for 2 hours.  I removed them from the stock and pulled off the meat.  I returned the fat to the pot and cooked it for another hour or so.  Then, I strained the broth, and used it in my canning jars, over the beans.  I added a bit of the meat to each jar, and, so far, my beans from the jar taste just like from the slow cooker.

I'm thinking I can use the same process for cooking the collard greens, too.  Glad you told me NOT to pack the greens in the jar, cuz I sure was planning to squeeze them in, LOL!

So, based on your recommendation, I'll wilt the greens down for that 20-30 minutes IN THE HAM HOCK BROTH, then transfer them (and the broth) to the canning jars with some of the reserved meat. 

I'm feeling good about this! 

And, not to worry, the YouTubers I follow all exercise best practices from the Ball Blue Book, the National Center for Home Food Preservation website, and the USDA website.  I figured I'd better learn properly from them, without cutting any corners, because I don't want anything bad happening on MY watch!  Especially since I'll be giving away a lot of what I can.  Once I learn the rule book, THEN I'll know how I can safely break a few "rules."

Storm,
Have you ever tried "Better than Bullion"?  It's a paste that comes in a jar -- chicken, beef, vegetable, and herb stocks.  Has a really, really authentic stock taste.  Make the stock and pour it into your canning jars.

Hugs, ya'll!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 10:10:41 AM by Gymgirl »

Online tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 06:30:49 PM »
GG...yes I use it for cooking, it's good stuff, but for canning I use the cubes cause about 4 years or so ago a friend of mine who worked/works for a restaurant supply company got me a bulk deal on bullion cubes, chicken and beef like 20 lbs of each, and I haven't even put a dent in the total yet and with the bulk canning we usually do the better than bullion would get frightfully expensive. When we can venison it's usually a whole deer less the loin. Sometimes more than one. Plus with the cubes we don't add salt.
Crack O' Noon Farms.