Author Topic: Baby White Rice Popcorn Seed HELP!  (Read 2513 times)

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
Re: Baby White Rice Popcorn Seed HELP!
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 03:45:19 AM »
If y'all are into growing ancient corn you would enjoy "Hickory King".It was the staple corn for moonshine.It is the go to corn for hominy and grits and many people use it to make flour.It is also eater green as a sweet corn.

I raised it a couple years ago and being it is a long day it's hard to get it's full potential here in Indiana.It is advertised as 14'high with 12" ears. I did get 12' height and 11 " ears from it.It's an 8-row corn with very large kernels but I had some went to 6-row which I'm keeping for seed.A lot went to 10 row also which I grind.
Here's a video you might find interesting.
Wade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymg-00sj94Y
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!

Online tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
  • Hillbilly Gardener, amongst many other things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 05:28:28 AM »
Wade.... I have thought about Hickory King...even bought seed but anything that grows quite that tall would have a rough time in my lower field...too much wind for really really tall corn. I would love to grow this because of all it's uses and honestly a nice size field of it would be beautiful to look at, almost majestic, but I figure I am pushing the height thing with Blue Clarage as it is.
Crack O' Noon Farms.
In the Mountains of Old Virginia.
Proud Appalachian-American.

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 05:39:34 AM »
It's a very hardy plant.I haven't had any blowdown.In garden settings, some people plant it in blocks and type the stalks together to increase wind resistance but I never did.I plan to use it in a "3 sisters" type garden this year and plant 12" blocks that can be tied if needed.If time will allow, I would like to plant it on some CRP crop edge for a winter food source for wildlife since many times you have to bend the stalk down to be able to reach the ears.Many grow at 8' above ground which should help keep the deer from getting them.
Wade
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!

Online tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
  • Hillbilly Gardener, amongst many other things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 06:20:56 AM »
Well maybe the year after this coming season I will give it a try. I plant 50-100 x 100' rows. The field corn I grow is for meal/flour and chicken feed mostly. What I generally use to keep the deer off the corn is a .303...lol
Crack O' Noon Farms.
In the Mountains of Old Virginia.
Proud Appalachian-American.

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2017, 11:59:23 AM »
New development. I purchased a pair of finger weeders and Tender hoes for my Tuff Bilt and walk behind David Bradleys from Tilmor the other day. It is a family business owned by the Steiners. I asked them about my problem locating Baby Rice Popcorn and they said they would have their farm manager contact me. He just called and said he grows an old variety of small kernel  hull less popcorn called Lady Finger. He also said he stores it in a bin where he dries it. He said this is seed that he has for planting or sells to others who want to grow it. He is selling me some and said the invoice will be in the box and just send him a check once I receive the seed. What a delightful person to do business with. Who do you know that still does business that way?
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, John Deere 1050, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Offline Daniel Grant

• Sprout
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2017, 08:58:20 AM »
A follow-up for those who might be interested. The Amish Country marketed as Baby Rice is a separated small kernel from medium sized popcorn. It is not the slender elongated kernel like what is found in the Baby Rice. It pops well, is a small size popcorn when popped like other hull-less, and tastes very good. Steinke's is the slender elongated small  kernel Baby Rice Popcorn. Valley Popcorn is the same as Steinke's because I believe they purchase theirs from Steinke's Who not only sells it but grows it. I am doing a germination test on the Steinke's popcorn and will post on the germination test results. I will also post on the Lady Finger and Tiny Mighty Popcorn after they are received and I can verify germination and pop characteristics. But for now Sreinke's and Valley Popcorn are both White Baby Rice Popcorn.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, John Deere 1050, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor, David Bradley tractors for cultivation

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2017, 10:11:41 AM »
Thank you for the update Daniel. I will be following this thread as I have an interest in growing some of this popcorn if it is a viable seed source. Thanks again.

Double B
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

woodchip gardener

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2017, 05:02:26 PM »
hi daniel.  was not sure if you saw the fireworks popcorn.  they seem to have a good variety.

http://www.popcornlovers.com/store/Popcorn/All-Natural-Varieties/10-Baby-White-Rice-Popcorn/