Author Topic: Baby White Rice Popcorn Seed HELP!  (Read 299 times)

Offline Daniel Grant

• Grasshopper
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
Baby White Rice Popcorn Seed HELP!
« on: December 04, 2017, 02:18:11 PM »
I have been trying to locate seed for the Baby White Rice Popcorn. It is a small seed popcorn and pops without hulls that get in your teeth. I can find the Baby Rice popcorn for popping but if the corn has been mechanically dried, which most commercial popcorn is, the germination in nonexistent/won't germinate. I have scoured Google and multiple catalogs but cannot find the seed. I have also talked to commercial sellers of the popcorn but they do not grow it. I am hoping someone here would know of or be able to direct me to a source for the White Baby Rice Popcorn. I appreciate your help.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
Re: Baby White Rice Popcorn Seed HELP!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 02:51:22 PM »
Sorry I can't direct you to that but, I may be able to help some. This summer I heard about a new popcorn that was supposed to be hulless ao I ordered some.Could not find seed stock so I ordered it to pop.As soon as it got here I took a dozen seed to the garden.It all germinated and it all produced(before the deer found it).I did salvage 2 ears.
Here is the results of a google search for you.
Hope this helps.
Wade

https://www.google.com/search?q=tiny+but+mighty+popcorn&oq=tiny+but+mighty&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j35i39j0l4.15022j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 02:52:43 PM »
www.wisgold.com

I am not familiar with this type of popcorn, Daniel but this company has a mixed rice popcorn that states it is a white baby rice variety. They also have a Japanese hullesss variety which looks to be another white baby rice variety.  Even if they don't have exactly what you are looking for, you may be able to phone them and they can point you in the right direction.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline Daniel Grant

• Grasshopper
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 09:09:50 PM »
Oneshot and Double B, Thanks for the information on the Tiny Mighty Popcorn. I am glad to know It sprouted. You can get the best deal on the Tiny Mighty Popcorn by buying 3 20 oz. bags on Amazon with prime.  I found a possible source, Steinke Popcorn www.steinkepopcorn.com. They grow baby rice but said they dry it in a grain bin. I am not sure if this will kill the germination or not. I ordered 5 lbs. from Steinke and will do a germination test when I receive it. I talked to the lady at Wisconsin Gold Harvest. She said she had a small grain popcorn which she referred to as a mixed color baby rice but wanted $15.00 for 1 pound of the seed. That seemed a bit steep for a pound and it not being the authentic Baby Rice. There was one other source Valley Popcorn that sells White Baby Rice Popcorn but only had it for popping. I purchased a bag and will also do a germination test on it,  I will have an abundance of popcorn by the time I locate what I want. I think I will repackage most and give to friends  for munching at Christmas, keeping only what germinates and what I want to pop. Yes, I do get determined when I want something. I do appreciate you both taking the time to search this for me.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor

Offline Daniel Grant

• Grasshopper
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 09:18:45 PM »
OOPS, Double B the Japanese Hull less is available from Morgan County. I purchased a pair of finger weeders from Tilmor (Steiner Family) today and they are going to talk to some Amish farmers and see if they might grow the White Baby Rice. Even if the popcorn is multicolored it is white when it pops. If you are not familiar with finger weeders you should check them out. They will weed around and between your plants. They do in row weeding when the weeds are small. I am going to use mine on the Tuff Bilt and on a David Bradley walk behind tractor.  I have some friends who are market gardeners and they say the finger weeders have eliminated 95% or better weeding by hand.

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 08:26:36 AM »
Daniel,

I will look into those and I hope the Japanese Hull Less will work for you and give you the desired product you are searching for.

All my best,
Double B
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 09:04:26 PM »
hi daniel

i was looking in to this.  i did see that steinke's was the only site that said it dries it naturally in bins vs mechanically dried. 

i was a bit confused about what i read tho.  some sites seem to lead readers to believe there is an actual form of corn grown called baby white rice and that is what their kernels are from.  i found several amish sites that said the baby white rice is actually just the smaller kernels from regular white rice corn sorted out which is why it is harder to get.

i did find a site that sold baby white rice kernels.  their info said it had a shelf life of 6-8 months, which leads me to believe it is fresh vs mechanically dried.  can't hurt to ask. 

https://www.elegantfarmer.com/shop/baby-white-rice-gourmet-popcorn/
post something!  c'mon...you know ya wanna...  :)

Offline Daniel Grant

• Grasshopper
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 09:58:46 PM »
Woodchip, First thanks for taking the time to research this for me. I know you have a history of being the group researcher. I can see why. I know the Amish screen out the smaller from the larger kernels. I did purchase a bag of theirs. It has a very good taste and pops without husks. Steinke's dry theirs in a bin but I am sure they  use a dryer in the bin to get the popcorn to the magical 12% to 15%. I have two friends who are commercial popcorn growers but they mechanically dry theirs in 10 days and I know their germination rate is less than 25%. In fact one friend planted some and had 0% germination. I also ordered some from Steinke's popcorn and a bag from Valley popcorn. I have talked to all these individuals and most are not growers only popcorn resellers. Wisconsin Golden Harvest is the only place that had any seed for planting. Hers is the multi colored. No one wants to give up the source  or farmer who actually grows it. I might try some of the Tiny Mighty Popcorn since OneShot said it germinated for him. As I said I can order 3-20oz bags from Amazon Prime for what one 20oz bag cost with shipping direct from Tiny Mighty. Either way the purchase will benefit the Tiny Mighty family. From what I can figure they are growers so that may be why it germinates. The other popcorn may go from a grower to a middle man who cleans and dries it and sells it to the retailer.  The dryer and separator ( smaller from larger kernels) machine is not very large. It will easily fit in a section of a garage. I will order the Tiny Mighty Popcorn and then see what germinates and will then know if I will have seed for the spring. I am beginning to believe or at least question if there is a strain with seeds known as white baby rice.

Online tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
  • Hillbilly Gardener, amongst many other things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 10:38:26 PM »
This is a little off topic but this year I am considering putting in a small patch of popcorn for the grandkids....which variety do you guys consider the most bulletproof to grow for first time popcorn growers? I grow field and sweet corn every year but have never tried popcorn.
Crack O' Noon Farms.
In the Mountains of Old Virginia.
Proud Appalachian-American.

Offline Daniel Grant

• Grasshopper
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 11:00:29 PM »
Tangentalstorm, You will need to plant your popcorn either a good distance from your other  corn or stager the planting so your popcorn does not tassel when either of the other corns are in tassel. The popcorn will cross with your other corn and you will end up with a cross of all the corn which you do not want. Where do you get your seed? I would look there and read about each variety they have to make a choice of what you think best meets what you want. Morgan County has a fairly good selection. You have to dry your corn on the stalk then dry on a rack until it has about 12 to 15 % moisture. You can take some kernels, toss in a pan with some oil and see if they pop and the condition of the pop.

Online tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 11:55:31 PM »
I do staggered planting with my sweet and field corn and they are separated by a hill. Never have crossing problems. I was just figuring on about 100 plants for the popcorn in a raised bed. It's more about showing the grandkids what diligence and patience can do. I am just looking for a good tough variety to grow that's somewhat productive as well.

I am pretty open about seed vendors although I tend to stay away from the bigger outfits like Burpee and Park seeds.
Crack O' Noon Farms.

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 03:45:53 AM »
This brings up another point. I grow a lot of different corns also. While researching "Tiny But Mighty" they stated that it was(????????)some word I can't remember but it means it will not cross with other corns.Y'all probably know what I'm talking about more than I do.I never was one for big words!LOL!
Anyway, I don't know if it means it will not affect other types of corn or that other corns won't affect it, or maybe both.Just thought I'd throw that out there and y'all can figure out what I'm talking about 'cuzz I sure can't!
Wade

Online tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 08:23:11 AM »
I've never heard of a breed of corn that won't cross if given the chance. That's why I stagger my planting times so much just to avoid it.

I wonder if they have come up with some genetic monster that won't? If it's a GMO corn I won't plant it.

On my former property I used to plant Painted mountain and a guy down the road, that I didn't know about, planted some GMO crap and my Painted Mountain hosed up his whole field.....LOL...Oh he was POed and ended up coming to see me and asking why I planted the corn I did? I ended up throwing away that whole years seed lot btw... Well I ended up talking to him for a while and explaining to him how he could save seed and how much better PM was as a feed corn for his animals.... the next year he asked me where he could get PM seed.... He planted 10 Acres of it and still loves it as far as I know.

This year I won't be growing PM. I am going to try something different... Blue Clarage just to see what it does and as far as I know (I have driven around quite a bit checking this out) there is nothing but cattle farms within a 3 mile radius of me. If there was a big field anywhere near me I am pretty sure I would have heard about it by now...lol  PM has some seriously dominant genes.
Crack O' Noon Farms.

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 10:07:29 AM »
Here's all about TBM as a 1850s heritage corn although this video does not address the part about not crossing.
Wade

https://tinybutmightyfoods.com/about/our-story/

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 10:32:26 AM »
OK, here's the video where they state it is "dense sterile" and will not cross with other corns!
Wade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCrURZmQjHg

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 10:48:23 AM »
hi daniel

after reading some more, it seems the baby white rice is a version of the early japanese white hulless.  i found a site online that offers japanese white hulless as seed instead of pre-packed for eating.  i am not sure if you wanted to give this a try.

https://www.stclareseeds.com/garden-help/shop/best-sellers/popcorn-japanese-hulless-white-popcorn/

i also have a call in to a woman in west virginia who has a small farm that grows heirloom white hulless popcorn.  it did not give the actual variety though.  i will see what she grows and report back.

i forgot to add the cool old advertisement things that i found on the web.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 12:29:59 PM by woodchip gardener »
post something!  c'mon...you know ya wanna...  :)

Offline Daniel Grant

• Grasshopper
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 09:09:55 PM »
Morgan County and others sell the Japanese Hull Less. I do not think it is related to Baby Rice but a newer variety hull less popcorn. I look forward to hearing more about what the lady in Virginia has to say. I appreciate your efforts to help in my search.

Online tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 09:59:29 PM »
OK, here's the video where they state it is "dense sterile" and will not cross with other corns!
Wade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCrURZmQjHg

Ok that is just too cool! I had never heard the term "dense sterile" before...now I am going to have to look and see what other varieties of this type might be out there.

Thanks Wade!
Crack O' Noon Farms.

Offline Daniel Grant

• Grasshopper
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 11:09:29 PM »
Tangentalstorm, If you PM me your address I will send you some of the Tiny But Mighty seed/popcorn I just ordered. All this popcorn talk overwhelmed me tonight and I had to make a bowl of the Amish Baby Rice popcorn. It was very good but I am not sure it is a true baby rice. I watched several videos related to the Tiny But Mighty popcorn story. They indicate he dries his popcorn naturally on the stalk, then cleans and sorts it. That is why it germinated for Oneshot. I ordered some through Amazon Prime. It is not the Baby Rice but I like the story and the care he takes with the corn. I believe when they mechanically dry the corn by using heat, especially quick dry, it has to affect the nutrients (nutrient value) in the corn. I believe heat would affect the germ and possibly the protein.  For what it is worth I plan on planting Hopi Indian blue corn for grits and cornmeal, Incredible SE, Argent SE (White version of incredible), and the popcorn.

Online tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 12:52:46 AM »
Daniel....I thought about growing Hopi Blue this year but I was looking for an heirloom that was a bit stronger in production and can deal with humidity. I don't know if Hopi Blue can do that so that's why I went with the Blue Clarage. The sweetcorn I am going to grow this year will be Country Gentleman but I really don't grow a whole lot of sweetcorn. Last year we had roughly 150 plants of silver queen and we still have sweetcorn canned and frozen left over as far as I know. I think I am going to put in about 120 plants of CG in my hillbilly earthboxes just to see if I can do it...lol Because of the earthboxes is another reason isolation isn't such a big issue for me.  Now as for the popcorn it will be in a small raised bed not too far from my field corn so that's why the "dense sterile" thing intrigues me so much.

PM on the way
Crack O' Noon Farms.