Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
I have learned so much from Mr. Donald and the Forum.  I am very appreciative of him and many others like him that take time from their days to show other people how they do things.  Over their years of trial and error many lessons have been learned and better ways are found.  Thanks you all that enjoy sharing that knowledge with me and anyone else that would like to know of your experiences.  In the last five years, I have gone from a complete novice to having a pretty decent garden.  I still have a loooong way to go to be as good as you guys. 

By watching Mr Donald’s videos, he has saved my back by using the crop netting with Pole bean -  below are a couple of picks with my version of them.  TPPHPs were a first for me this year and will be every year from now on.  Anytime I want to try something new, the first 2 places I go are the WebCajun channel on you tube and then this forum and search both.  I’ve planted my first ever beets a couple of weeks ago with some valuable information and am looking forward to trying them and putting some up.

Next year, I plan to not be hardheaded and side dress my tomatoes and add some copper spray so they are more healthy productive plants.

Tangentalstorm – thank you for your service!

General Discussion / Hover flies?
« Last post by GopherBroke on Today at 03:16:25 PM »
The last two years we have had a ton of hover flys in an around the garden.  They look very much like what we used to call sweat bee's which would sting or bit when they landed on ya.  I looked up these hover flys an they are supposed to be good pollinators, so I try not to get them when I sprayed.  Last year I visited a guy about 75 miles away in Illinois an they had more hoverflys than we have.  Is this something that is wide spread?   
Livestock / Re: Turkey on the canopy
« Last post by MikeM on Today at 02:40:22 PM »
We evidently didn't have the wild one figured out.  Recently she has taken to being right at our heels so we shall enjoy her company till a big Ol' Tom Turkey calls her out.
« Last post by MikeM on Today at 02:34:58 PM »
We didn't handle her any more than we had to in order to let her stay on the wild side but it doesn't seem to make much difference now.
General Discussion / Re: What did you do in the garden today ?
« Last post by whiskydog on Today at 12:58:04 PM »
Plowed my best field today, kind of thinking to get ready for spring, but something about a fresh plowed field makes me want to plant or sow something on it.. maybe some greens or turnips..
anyway smelling the fresh turned soil I remembered as a child running barefoot through the fields after Dad plowed with the mules..  Sucked in a deep long breath, and at least two gnats..  got to remind myself not to do that again..  :D

Al
Tools and Equipment / Re: Parts Cleaner - Crown PSC 1000
« Last post by GopherBroke on Today at 11:16:45 AM »
The company that I retired from had bean counters an environmental people decided that mineral spirits were not safe for us to clean parts in an went to a water based degreaser, which had a heater as part of the set up, an it did sort of work once the temperature got up.  We were allowed to keep our mineral spirits cleaner as we had to clean stoker parts that got greased twice per day for months at a time. 
Tools and Equipment / Parts Cleaner - Crown PSC 1000
« Last post by MudHog on Today at 09:18:07 AM »
A lot of us work on our own projects and needing parts cleaning. I have a Zep parts washer that I had Mineral Spirits in it. The Mineral Spirits worked great, but is a pain to buy in bulk. Last weekend I needed to change out the Mineral Spirits in my parts cleaner and decided to try the Crown PSC 1000 cleaner from Tractor Supply. I must say I am pleased with it and will not worry about Mineral Spirits again. The Crown cleaner doesn't leave a film on the part like Mineral Spirits did. $38/5 gallon at Tractor Supply isn't to bad of a price considering Mineral Spirits was $14/gallon. The Crown cleaner did a good job on the ditcher I am rebuilding that was full of grease too.

Highly recommended.
Tools and Equipment / Re: New to Me Ditcher
« Last post by MudHog on Today at 09:13:16 AM »
Thanks Joe. I bought it from a Crochet. The guys family are rice farmers and their farm is out off Gotts Cove Road.

I got everything stripped down. The big bearings were spinning in the housing so I am trying to find a larger OD bearing and will get the housing milled to match. The bearing now is 80mm OD and 1.5" ID. It's a disc plow bearing from what I have found.
« Last post by tangentalstorm on Today at 08:57:07 AM »
If you handle them a lot as babies they shouldn't get TOO aggressive because they will be used to people and consider them the benevolent food Gods....lol
General Discussion / Re: Oct. 28th Get Together Head Count.....
« Last post by Goonybird on Today at 08:35:10 AM »
Is there an oven there? If so I'll bring my New Orleans-style Baked Macaroni and Cheese and maybe something else.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10