Author Topic: Friday the 13th, Full Moon, Dog in the Garden  (Read 1775 times)

Online whiskydog

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Dallas Ga.
    • View Profile
Friday the 13th, Full Moon, Dog in the Garden
« on: May 13, 2016, 02:20:40 PM »
Well here's the garden update from the Dogs garden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj8H7cnE7IA&feature=youtu.be
If I'm not having problems,, I'm not doing it right..

Zone 7 Northwest Ga.

Offline Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
Re: Friday the 13th, Full Moon, Dog in the Garden
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 03:22:14 PM »
good video , I enjoyed looking at it. Jewel & I was in Georgia in 2000 doing some family research. We spent a couple of days over at Athens. You have a good looking garden layout.

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 08:32:14 PM »
MAN, you have stuff going everywhere. It's looking good and I see you could use a little rain. I hope we don't have a dry season this year.

I'm also want to see the results of your soil sample. I'm sure the cover crop also holds moisture. Have you noticed that?

Online whiskydog

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Dallas Ga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 04:19:19 AM »
Yeah the more things growing seem to help each other.  I'm trying to move into growing more things together. I like the wide middle idea, where I can grow a cover crop or have a easy place to cut and pile the corn stalks in to compost while I grow another crop on the row.  I've sown some buckwheat in different areas, to build soil and also for the bees.  I am going to save my worst field for the sunn hemp and hopefully let it grow all the season I may have to cut it back at some point to bush out and grow more, then compost over winter, for the spring soil sample.

Seems to me the crimson clover works very well here, I sow it in the fall it grows well in the spring and dies out about now..  considering that the night temperatures are just now coming out of the 50s, its about time to plant here.  things just don't grow as well with cool nights.  some of the clover comes back in the fall. 

I would really like to establish a permanent clover patch to plant in but it failed this spring.

Al

Zone 7 Northwest Ga.

Offline ol hippie

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 07:52:34 PM »
Enjoyed the video. For some reason I've never paid attention to this video section on the forum. I used to plant different things all around my place til these deer got so bad.       Don
South-Central Alabama

Online whiskydog

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Dallas Ga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 05:40:52 AM »
The soil sample came back.

Ph 6.1
P-25lbs per acre
K-146lbs per acre
Calcium-1179 lbs per acre
Magnesium-187 lbs per acre
Zinc-3 lbs per acre

This being a red clay type soil the only spot I have on the place, I've always considered it to be the  worst field to deal with, seems it has improved the last few years I've worked it.

The soil seems shallow and hard to break up, I hope the hemp will improve the till. 

The sunn hemp was planted yesterday, May 20,  a good moist day with some rain with a earthway planter. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 12:35:36 PM by whiskydog »

Zone 7 Northwest Ga.

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 06:05:55 AM »
WOWZA Whiskeydog you have dedicated a nice chunk of your land to the garden !

I"ll take a wild guess and say corn is your favorite vegetable ( or starch depending on how you look at it)

What method do you use to preserve the excess ? Canning or Freezing?
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Online whiskydog

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Dallas Ga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 07:08:27 AM »
We freeze our corn, but I have lots of friends who like corn and I plant with them in mind.. thats why I plant different varieties.  I'll follow corn with top pick peas, and I plant a lot of okra also.

The grandkids are coming for the summer, I like to have plenty of produce on hand not only to feed them but to let them have a hand in growing and marketing produce.  It gives them a chance to earn some easy money and learn how to talk to customers, make change, manage money and
a garden.   As you can tell they already know how to manage grandpa..  ;D ;D ;D  Al

Zone 7 Northwest Ga.