Author Topic: Chicken plucker  (Read 2001 times)

Offline NSewell

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Chicken plucker
« on: May 20, 2016, 10:34:09 PM »
Ordered a chicken plucker for drill today. I have some red rangers that should be ready  in about 4 more weeks.
Zone 7b

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken plucker
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 08:17:07 AM »
I hope you will post a review of the plucker after you use it and even some pictures of the plucked chickens if possible. I would love to have some laying hens but I really have some interest in the meat chickens. The ones we buy in the store are nothing compared to what we used to raise.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline NSewell

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 10:56:21 AM »
 I have never raised any for meat just eggs. I went to tractor supply to buy a few pullets and came home with 6 pullets and 10 straight run red rangers. We have always raised our own beef and it tastes so much better than store bought, so I imagine that the chicken will be the same.
Zone 7b

Offline NSewell

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 12:00:53 PM »
I finally butchered the red rangers today and the plucker worked great.
Zone 7b

Offline Davidx357

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 08:51:22 PM »
We had a post on the old site and there were several videos of people using washing machines  with rubber hoses in them that they used to pluck the chickens.  Caught my interest to use for plucking ducks.

Offline Daniel Grant

• Grasshopper
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 10:53:17 PM »
Nsewell,
A picture is worth a 1000 words. If you do not have a picture would you give us a description of how it works. How many feathers did you have on you when you were through? Would you post a website which might give those interested  more information.
Dan
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor

Offline NSewell

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 10:11:21 PM »
It is from Lewis poultry products. It is a small one that goes in a drill
Zone 7b

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 03:47:07 PM »
It has been years since I processed a chicken--never plucked one , always skinned them.

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 05:47:07 PM »
It is from Lewis poultry products. It is a small one that goes in a drill

How do the chickens taste? Have you eaten any of them? One last question, would you raise and harvest your own birds again?

Double B
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline MudHog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 01:16:56 PM »
Worst smell I can remember as a kid was the smell of a chicken in boiling water to be plucked. God that smell was the worst and that is coming from South LA where there is always an odor in the air from the marsh.
New Iberia, LA - Zone 9a

Offline NSewell

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2016, 04:07:58 PM »
The chicken was great . We roasted 1 and froze the other 6. The legs were a little tougher than store bought, but a lot bigger.  Yes I will raise them again. It took about 20 minutes per bird from catching to cooler.
Zone 7b