Author Topic: Yellow Meat Melons  (Read 3279 times)

Offline confederatemule

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Yellow Meat Melons
« on: May 23, 2016, 08:40:22 PM »
Does anyone have a few yellow meat watermelon seeds they would sell?

Mule

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
Re: Yellow Meat Melons
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 10:08:09 PM »
  I'll send you some orange meat "Tendersweet" seeds.  Look 'em up and read about 'em.  IF you want some send me a PM with your address.   ;)

Here's a link:

http://www.victoryseeds.com/watermelon_orange-flesh.html

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 10:10:39 PM by tbird »
Barking Dog Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra

Click for weather forecast

Offline Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 05:45:13 AM »
I have a few "Canary" Melon seeds left if you are interested.

PM me your address and I will send them to you.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline confederatemule

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 07:45:27 AM »
Thanks, Y'all. I have never heard of the Canary Melon. I was told about the Orange Meat Melon when I was trying to locate the Yellow Meat Melons, locally. Course no one had any seeds of any thang cept Red Meat Melons, and all I found were Black Diamond Red Meat Melons.
I'll be lookin these up.

Mule

Online tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
  • Hillbilly Gardener, amongst many other things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 07:18:14 PM »
Mule...Canary melons are delicious.
Crack O' Noon Farms.
In the Mountains of Old Virginia.
Proud Appalachian-American.

Offline confederatemule

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 07:53:54 PM »
Mule...Canary melons are delicious.

Well, I sent my address, so maybe I'll get to taste them later this year. (If I can get them to grow and get ripe. I stuck my green thumb in a reel type mower when I was 3 or 4 years old, so... the green part is missin.)

Mule

Online tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 09:58:04 PM »
I developed a taste for them in the Middle East...broiled tomatoes and canary melon for breakfast....mmmm gooooddd.
Crack O' Noon Farms.

Offline confederatemule

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 06:44:28 AM »
I developed a taste for them in the Middle East...broiled tomatoes and canary melon for breakfast....mmmm gooooddd.

Broiled Maaters ? I ain't never tried none of them. Maybe I'll give it a try when the Canary Melons git ripe.

Mule

Online tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 04:36:58 PM »
Easy to make...quarter the tomatoes or 6th them, brush with a little olive oil, sea salt and cracked pepper put it on a grill 2 minutes or less on each side, depending on your grill of course. You can add other spices as your taste wants too...grilling them just really brings out the flavor in them....at least to me it does. Give it a try.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 04:39:27 PM by tangentalstorm »
Crack O' Noon Farms.

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 04:50:40 PM »
Easy to make...quarter the tomatoes or 6th them, brush with a little olive oil, sea salt and cracked pepper put it on a grill 2 minutes or less on each side, depending on your grill of course. You can add other spices as your taste wants too...grilling them just really brings out the flavor in them....at least to me it does. Give it a try.

I do this almost every time I grill steaks, I just cut them in half and use what you do but add Thyme, I also grill bell peppers, onions and squash. I grill them longer than 2 minutes, usually till they're about to fall apart. It really brings out the sweetness in them.

Offline confederatemule

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 06:50:16 AM »
I got the Canary seeds from Maggie13, Saturdy. I thought the dirt was way too muddy to plant them, but now it is a mud pie. I'll have to wait.
Thank you Maggie13.

Mule

Offline Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 07:53:00 AM »
You're welcome I hope they produce lots of melons for you!
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline confederatemule

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 04:31:52 PM »
Well, I planted the Canary Mellon seeds yesterdy, June 11.
In yesterdy's mail I got the Tender Sweet seeds from tbird. I am going to plant them today.
Maybe I'll have a Canary melon or Cantaloupe, or Black Diamond Watermelon or a Tender Sweet Watermelon around the first week or so of September.

Way late, but been too cool and then too wet and sposed to rain tonight. I was sure hopin to git my hay cut, at least on the high ground. Maybe it won't rain much.

Thanks, y'all, fer the seeds.

Mule

Offline Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2016, 06:03:23 PM »
I hope you have good luck with all of them. It sure would make for a beautiful fruit salad.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline confederatemule

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2016, 08:24:06 PM »
I'll make a post in another folder when I have anythang to report.

Mule

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 01:05:09 PM »
  You know Mule,  I plant Charleston Gray Watermelons on July 4th each year and have melons in early October,  so you should be early to mid September like you say.    ;)
Barking Dog Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra

Click for weather forecast

Offline confederatemule

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 08:42:41 PM »
Well y'all, I have melons. They are not ripe yet, but close.

Maggie 13, I only had one plant come up out of the seeds you sent me. There are 2 melons on it. They are turnin yellow.

Tbird, the orange meat seeds you sent are up and runnin. I have stripped melons galore.

But! the rain and critters are causing problems.

More chapters to come.

Mule

Offline Daniel Grant

• Grasshopper
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 10:32:47 PM »
Mule,
If you carefully slide a board under the melon it will help protect it from the moist soil and bugs/worms attacking them from the ground. Dan

Gardening

There once was a time when vegetable gardening and backyard farming were not endangered; these activities were a way of life. However, with booming big agriculture business comes the need for monetary and job security, which means that threatening the productivity of big agriculture will not be tolerated. With Michigan’s recent ban on backyard farming, along with many states regulating the amount of garden space individuals may have in their yard, the ability for Americans to grow their own food and feed themselves is becoming a thing of the past. The future of personal gardening and farming is in danger and may become illegal altogether.

Michigan recently announced that it has made changes to its Right to Farm Act, which allowed home owners to keep a small amount of livestock on their property without being considered a nuisance, as long as the rules of the Act were followed. Chickens, beehives and goats will officially no longer be tolerated on the properties of urban and suburban farmers, due to the protection of the Right to Farm Act being lifted from small home farmers. Some Michigan farmers believe this new ruling is in place because large producers do not want individuals to provide for themselves or their families; the believed goal is to ensure all are dependent on grocers and mass producers.

Individuals often find solace in visiting local farmers’ markets to pick up fresh eggs from humanely raised, healthy chickens and meat from organic, locally raised animals. Many farms which this ban applies to supply local co-ops with high quality meat and eggs; the farmers rely on this business to sustain their families and lifestyles. However, just because Michigan has adopted this ban does not mean every government feels compelled to negate local farmers. In fact, Indiana just passed a bill, Senate Bill 179, which will allot funding to small farm research in order to build up local economies.

The alternative to purchasing from local growers and animal farmers is to buy from large producers, or personally grow or raise animals. Because this ban in Michigan applies to small backyard farmers and those on a slightly larger scale who provide co-ops and markets, the only option left is to purchase from large producers. A serious issue with purchasing from large producers is the neglect of animal well-being and product quality that is common within the big agriculture business. Factory farming, or massive farming and intense production of animals and animal products pollutes waterways and is responsible for millions of food-borne illnesses annually. These operations pollute the world’s oceans, contaminating fish and other marine life. Many critics of factory farms argue that these operations should be made illegal, not personal farming and gardening.

Front-yard gardening has received backlash as well for many years. Iowa, Florida and Louisiana are among states whose government believes that a green, manicured lawn is much more appealing than growing vegetables or fruits. Des Moines, Iowa, has had recurring discussions about whether to allow for front-yard gardening. The issue is the aesthetic qualities of growing food vs. a green lawn. In Florida a front-yard gardening couple was told to take out their garden or face hefty fines. The fight to grow food and raise animals is becoming a war, though progress seems to be regressing.

The right for people to solely provide for their families is an issue that is not going to be resolved any time soon. While big agriculture fights to supply every American with often low quality animal products, individuals fight to provide healthier alternatives and attempt to avoid supporting inhumane animal operations. Those who believe in their right to grow their own food and raise their own animals will not give up the fight. In the meantime, supporting local producers by frequenting farmers’ markets and co-ops is an excellent way to ensure these small-time farmers have a chance of survival. Many individuals do not want to see personal gardening and farming become illegal; with the help of communities they will have a chance.

Opinion by Courtney Heitter
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor

Offline confederatemule

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 05:59:51 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion, Dan. I never heard of nor thought of this before.

Mule

Offline setx_gardener

• Grasshopper
  • The true test of character is what one does when n
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 07:19:25 AM »
Good source for melon seeds.
www.wilhiteseed.com

Willhites Tendergold

Details
  80 days. The rind is dark green with a mottled stripe of a lighter green. It has a very uniform shape and size; also it has a much tougher rind than our other orange and yellow varieties, which makes it a much better shipping melon. The sweet yellow flesh turns more orange as it matures and the taste improves with time. Large black seed. A few days earlier than Orange Flesh Tendersweet and will last 7-20 days longer after ripening. Average weight 22 to 28 pounds.

35 x 45 Raised bed garden
Lumberton, TX
Zone 9