Author Topic: Yellow Meat Melons  (Read 3276 times)

Offline confederatemule

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Yellow Meat Melons
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 07:27:41 AM »
Thanks fer the link, Setx_gardner.

Offline confederatemule

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016, 07:40:40 AM »
Bad news. I went over to the melon patch and found the trap closed and empty. I had a trail camera all set to see what was moving around. It should even view the trap. But !!, apparently, I did not turn the camera on. I turned it on and checked the date and time and then turned it off while I set the trap. Maybe something came along and turned it off after I left last night.

I am not too proud of me, right now.

Mule

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2016, 03:18:26 PM »
We humans tend to make mistakes from time to time! 

21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline confederatemule

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2016, 07:58:19 AM »
At least I turned the cam on last night. This is the only pic I got. Me sneakin away. The trap was still open.

I been seein hog signs down at the end of my shootin lane, so, since I was in a trapin mood, I set a trap down at the creek at the end of the shootin lane. It showed no sign of nothin this mornin.

I also set a mouse trap in the shop and it was empty, also.

Mule

my file is too big, so I'll not show pics.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 08:05:01 AM by confederatemule »

Offline confederatemule

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2016, 01:16:34 PM »
All traps are still set, no prisoners.

I harvested the first Black Diamond Watermelon {seeds bought localy} this mornin. It weighed 18.25 lb.

Also harvested two Tendersweet Orange Meat Melons {seeds supplied by  tbird }. One eighed 21.25lb. The other weighed 22.50lb.

I am impressed and anxious to dive off into an Orange one tomorrow.

I have two Canary Melons, but I ain't sure if they are ripe. I'm thinkin, maybe I'll harvest them tomorrow.

Mule

Online tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
  • Hillbilly Gardener, amongst many other things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2016, 03:21:58 PM »
I'm jealous...way to go!
Crack O' Noon Farms.
In the Mountains of Old Virginia.
Proud Appalachian-American.

Offline confederatemule

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2016, 04:54:55 AM »
An update.
I am judging ripe by the tendril. When it is brown all the way to the vine, I consider the melon ripe. But most of the Tendersweet orange meat melons are not good and sweet. Actually only one has been. I have picked 24, so far. Most of them are Tendersweet. The Black Diamond red meat melons are all good and sweet.
The first two Tendersweet melons, I posted the weights earlier, were too unripe to eat. I had a 35 lb one that was not as sweet as it should of been, but we ate it.
I think all the rain we had during the most important time of their growing caused them to not mature properly. I don't know. This is my first try at melons.
I had only two Canary melons make it to near maturity. I don't know how they tasted. They just disappeared shortly before I would of thought they were ripe.
Oh well. I still have melons on the vines. Maybe they will be better.

Mule

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2016, 10:41:20 PM »
hi cm.  i was interested in your comment on the tendersweet.  when i googled it the info said they did not have as strong a flavor as a red watermelon would and is supposed to have more of a mellow honey sweet sort of taste. 

i was surprised to hear they were not ripe.  i usually go by the tendril and the first leaf closest to where they stem attaches.  if those are brown it is supposed to be ripe.  usually for cantaloupe i just go by the smell.  when they smell sweet they are done. 

i wish you luck with the rest of your melons.  i hope you have better luck with the next round of picking.
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2016, 06:25:37 AM »
When to pick watermelons to me is a mystery.  We have had bush jubilee melons for two seasons now and we have waited until the tendril have turned brown, and that seems to get you close, but its not a sure thing either.  Our experience this summer was that 1 out of 4 melons was just about perfect, but the two could have been left on the vine for another week or more and one was way over ripe.  I will say that even though they could have ripened a little more that they were as good as a store bought seedless melon or better. 

Like most things I looked on the internet for other ways to check for ripeness, and found a youtube video on using a broom straw on the melon, and it didn't work for me.  You put a broom straw on the melon and if the melon is ripe the straw will turn and line up with the stem end.  It is very much like witching water, some can do it some not. 

Wood Chip for cantaloup we check our melons every day and sometime twice per day, by turning the melon and when it comes off the vine its ready.  We grow a very perishable melon called Ambrosia, and there is no room for error as leaving them on the vine when they are done will let you find a busted melon.  The up side is that they are very sweet. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer