Author Topic: Feed Storage  (Read 1470 times)

Offline alwaystj9

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Feed Storage
« on: May 25, 2016, 04:18:05 PM »
Summer is here in Louisiana and I just made a feed store trip. I buy less feed this time of year and make more trips because my stored feed molds too quickly. I store it in plastic trash bins without wheels. I changed to smaller cans last year just because I am short and old and it is easier to lean down to get the last of it. I usually have at least 5 kinds of feed on hand. The trash bins last 2-3 years, usually I find mold, dump the can, and find either a crack in the lid or a worn through spot in the bottom. Occasionally I have a raccoon or opossum around and have to bungee the tops on until the varmint has been dispatched.
  When I lived in South Carolina we used old chest style freezers and refrigerators. They were great there - dry and rodent-proof, but they rust out quickly down here. I was in Pennsylvania as a teen and the barn had built in wooden bins that the feed guy filled from a bulk truck.
  I am just curious what others use to store feed, maybe get some new ideas and change my system up.
USDA Zone 8B/9A

Offline tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
  • Hillbilly Gardener, amongst many other things.
    • View Profile
Re: Feed Storage
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 04:34:58 PM »
We don't have neaer the heat and humidity problem ya'll have down there but perhaps try finding some food safe plastic bags and lining the trash cans with them before you put the feed in so you can reseal them to keep as much humidity out as possible. Just a thought.  We keep our feed in steel trashcans with food safe plastic liners on the carport and they seem to be holding up fine. Of course we don't get as humid as you guys get either.
Crack O' Noon Farms.
In the Mountains of Old Virginia.
Proud Appalachian-American.

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 08:10:42 PM »
I do not have to contend with the oppressive heat and humidity you have so I can safely store feed in galvanized garbage cans.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline Poppa

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 10:21:53 AM »
We use the large plastic totes with lids from Walmart. I keep the chicken feed in the chicken house. I fasten a piece of plywood to the wall high enough above the tote that it hangs down over the tote at a steep angle so the chickens can't sit on it and mess it up. To feed I just lift the plywood up and hook it to the ceiling. If you have a wooden coop you could use hinges to fasten your plywood, my coop is a  hoop house so to fasten my mine I drilled holes and tied it to the panels with mule tape at the top. The goat feed is in totes in the barn. We even keep the dog and cat food in smaller totes in the house. I live in Alabama we have hot and humid weather also. I have used these totes for years and have never had feed to mold unless it got wet. This is not for outside storage. The totes need to be out of the weather.     

Offline saute86

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 9 Lake Charles,LA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 08:43:10 PM »
I keep mine in a feed galvanized can with a locking lid that I bought at the feed store. I keep it in a water proof little tikes toy bin.
My hobbies are hunting, fishing, gardening and foraging mushrooms.
I have 27 years experience as a chef.

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 10:55:17 AM »
I use a galvanized trash can sitting on 2x4's in the chicken coop and I only buy what I need because I don't trust the feed stores to store it properly and I want fresh feed. Some stores just keep it under a tractor barn but I buy from places that store it inside.

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 01:09:34 PM »
  I only store 100# of chicken feed in a large plastic garbage can.  It is outside but under my shop lean-to on a concrete slab.  Same can 4+ years, no holes or mold ever detected.  Also no varmints digging around even though I know a few roam the yard since my dogs grew into useless lazy eaters.    ;)
Barking Dog Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra

Click for weather forecast