Author Topic: Garden Vid plus 1 more  (Read 1060 times)

Offline virginiagardener

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Garden Vid plus 1 more
« on: May 28, 2016, 08:13:34 PM »
Alright, I promised y'all a garden video. You have all been good sports about watching my junky videos, so I'll give you something on topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xeUOfXuVj4

This second one got a little long, but you guys may like to laugh at my stupidity. Muddy hills and Bobcats don't mix..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlR5TT10kYs

~~VG

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
Re: Garden Vid plus 1 more
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 06:25:27 AM »
Virginia...
I enjoyed your vids, but as I High School Band director, I enjoyed the march you inserted in vid 2.
I have my band play several Sousa and Karl King marches every year.   I didn't recognize that march and racked my brain at what it was.   I am guessing it was one of Sousa's "not top 10" marches, and it wasn't fast enough to be one of King's circus marches.  Ok, I give up.  What was it?
Fayetteville, Arkansas  Zone 6b
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE

Offline virginiagardener

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 11:13:49 AM »
  Ok, I give up.  What was it?

The march is one of my favorites, "Officer of the Day March", by R.B. Hall. I wasn't in band ( actually a cellist...believe it or not) but have a great appreciation for marches.

Thanks

~~VG

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 05:47:54 PM »
Virginia,
I just Youtube'd that march and am listening right now to Arthur Pryor's band playing this march.
It is funny as I do recognize the trio of the march.
The youtube video I have shows an old 78 rpm record with a disclaimer at the bottom that reads "the King Cotton March is on the back of this record."
Now that is a good Sousa March.
Wow, a cellist with a taste for marches.
It is funny.  I have taught HS band for 27 years and every student I have had loves working on and practicing the various marches we play each year.   This year it was Sousa's Liberty Bell, Thomas Allen's Whip and Spur gallop, Karl King's Rough Riders March, and Karl King's Trombone King.   That one always tears me up as I am a trombone player and want to sit in on the concert with my kids and let it rip on that one.
But the funny part.............both of my daughters, one who graduated 5 years ago and my youngest, a junior HATE marches........They both are clarinet players.  Our youngest hates marches because the brass get all the "cool" parts.
I tell her..."at least you get the trio in each march to shine."
Our oldest even played 4 years in the Marching Razorback Band and Wind Symphony at the U of A and hated marches there.
She'd tell me prior to concerts...."dad, no marches tonight" and be smiling.

Sorry to "march" on your post.   If you haven't ever listened to the Whip and Spur, Allen, listen to it.  Listen to it arranged by Ray Cramer.  It is a gallop and it flies.   It's about 178 bpm.
ccat
Fayetteville, Arkansas  Zone 6b
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE