Author Topic: FYI Market Gardeners  (Read 1656 times)

Offline AllisCA

• Grasshopper
  • Amanda, OH
    • View Profile
Re: FYI Market Gardeners
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 12:51:03 PM »
That can be a very difficult topic. SNAP has been around for a couple yrs. Basically an extension of EBT. Most vendors would rather just sell for cash. Goovernment assistance, entitlement programs or whatever you want to call it and there are many programs available to markets like seniors coupons ect. Basically they all boil down to this. You the grower are selling your product to someone who is buying it with your money. So essentially your not selling anything at all. Your giving it away. And for doing so you get the privilege of your sales being tracked by the government. And the recipients of all the free food then become your most difficult customers you can possibly imagine.
Man do I get pissed when someone barters with me for a lower price and then after I agree they pull out a veggie snap token to pay for it. So not only did they get my food for free, they got me to give them even more for free. Then they root through the whole stand looking for the most perfect specimens of what they want or pull back every ear of corn looking for the absolute best ones. They get a bag full of food and I get a handfull of worthless wooden tokens. Sure I turn them in and then wait for a week to get my money and then at the end of the yr I get a 1099.So guess what, I MAKE EVEN LESS! You would be money ahead to just go there and set up a free stand for EBT people. Oh and one more thing. Our lovely goovernment allows people that just got off the boat yesterday to sign up and receive today.

DON'T GET ME STARTED!

I wanted say something else. Many or most on this forum grow beautiful gardens and give much of it away. And I commend those that do. Even we give away a good portion of what we grow too. But for us the Farmer market is the business side of it. The charity side is friends and neighbors or just about anyone who shows up at the farm to talk awhile. But when we stay up all night picking and cleaning and then haul into town and set up in a spot we had to pay for, that becomes business. And the above was in reference to the business.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 05:39:06 PM by AllisCA »
DBA PoorBoyz Produce
Zone 5b

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 12:18:15 AM »
  Probably Allis if produce prices sky-rocket due to some social or environmental situation the SNAP program would freeze your prices since you have used it before.  You know the gov always takes a lot more than it gives regardless of who is in charge.  They also would want you to feed their pets.

Barking Dog Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra

Click for weather forecast

Offline corl

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Nunamaker Farms LLC
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 07:31:48 PM »
Ah yes the SNAP program. Let me tell you why I just quit a local farmers' market. A week ago during the market this truck pulled up to a no parking zone beside our farmers' market and started selling groceries and produce. The truck was from the County Food bank. They were selling food that was donated to them by produce farmers. They said that they were selling to SNAP
 program people but also sold to our clients. Here we are giving our excess produce to the food bank and they come around and sell it to our clients. They said the competition would be good for the market. They broke all the rules of the market by selling produce that was not grown locally (lemons and oranges etc), not grown by the vendor, not paying for a vendor space, not staying for the required time period and not unloading their truck and setting up in the vendor area. I pointed this out to the market manager and got no reply. I now have a free afternoon every week. Maybe I will go fishing. By the way I am not donating to the food bank but distribute excess produce through a friend in the community.
Dave   SE Pa Zone 6b
www.nunamakerfarms.com
Kubota MX5100
Kubota F2100
Phoenix 74 inch rototiller
Phoenix 84 inch finish mower
GB70 garden bedder

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 09:33:13 PM »
That is so wrong on so many levels. I would do some investigating on that to see if it was a worker that took it upon himself or if the agency approved it. And then I would raise hell to everyone involved, get all the vendors to help.

Offline AllisCA

• Grasshopper
  • Amanda, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 10:50:18 PM »
Wow Corl! That is the most blatant abuse of a situation I have ever heard.
Last season at a market we attended, vendors were upset that once a month a free food truck would set up in the same lot where the market was held (different day). The problem was people would show up asking about the free food on market day. I told a lady if there are tents in the air its not free. Free comes from the back of a box truck.
DBA PoorBoyz Produce
Zone 5b

Offline AllisCA

• Grasshopper
  • Amanda, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 10:53:15 PM »
  Probably Allis if produce prices sky-rocket due to some social or environmental situation the SNAP program would freeze your prices since you have used it before.  You know the gov always takes a lot more than it gives regardless of who is in charge.  They also would want you to feed their pets.
Heck yeh they would. People on the dole can't afford food but they come to market with a dog and a cell phone.
DBA PoorBoyz Produce
Zone 5b