Author Topic: Chickens Laying Already?  (Read 627 times)

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
Chickens Laying Already?
« on: June 14, 2016, 01:20:09 PM »
  Ok.  I have only been a chicken keeper for about 4-1/2 years so I do not profess to know a lot.  The first chickens I had I hatched from eggs.  Heavy breeds.  Then I added 6 RIRs that I bought as pullets.  They were all good chickens for years and I still have 4 of the original heavy breed chickens.  I purchased two sets of 10 RIRs this past very late February and early March 1 week apart.   They are now 15 and16 weeks old exactly today.  Nothing unusual about that.  What seems unusual to us is that we found an egg in the pen where they have been raised.  Last time we raised our young'uns they didn't lay for 24 weeks before they started laying.  This seems a good bit faster than what is usual. 

The weird thing is that this year so far I have garlic that was matured 5 weeks early, onions that matured about the same and now chickens laying a number of weeks early.  Maybe my property was sprayed or visited by aliens.  The ones that fly,  not the ones that sneak across the border.   :D
Barking Dog Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra

Click for weather forecast

Offline edward361

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Chickens Laying Already?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 05:33:24 AM »
I have 20 RIR I raised form chicks 3 days old and started getting eggs at about 16 weeks.