Author Topic: Canning  (Read 4188 times)

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
Re: Canning
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2017, 07:34:00 AM »
hi gymgirl.  i will watch her videos just to get a general idea of how it works.  thanks for the suggestion!

hi bob.  thank you for the wonderful links!  they will be very helpful on the timing!

post something!  c'mon...you know ya wanna...  :)

Offline LoneWolf

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 11:59:42 AM »
Next thing ya know you'll be wondering, "Why haven't I been doing this all along?"

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 02:21:33 PM »
X 2 what Lone Wolf said. I don't know why I waited so long to start pressure canning. I started water bath canning in my twenties and it took another thirty years to start pressure canning. Like Lone Wolf said, I did wonder why I waited so long ::) ::) ::)
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2017, 02:26:53 AM »
I recently took my first shot at canning.  It sure is a lot of work to grow and can your own food but I find it very rewarding!  Here is the video:
https://youtu.be/p7Fkb9KvdVg

this was a fun video.  the outdoor stand with a propane tank might be the way i have to go.  i am looking into my options for a burner.  i have a glass top stove and i can't use the canning pot on mine either.  :(

i am also thinking of getting one of those single burner elements that you can use inside.
post something!  c'mon...you know ya wanna...  :)

Offline MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2017, 06:20:14 AM »
We use  two burner Camp Chef camp stove that makes it easy to be portable and keep the heat out of the house.
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2017, 07:05:02 AM »
I thought the same thing Mike.  I was wondering if the stove would handle the weight because a full canner can be pretty heavy?  Otherwise they get plenty hot to do the job.  You can buy a 5' hose to attach the stove to a 20 lb gas bottle.
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2017, 02:51:29 PM »
You mean like this?  Works like a charm.  That's an All American 921 and a gumbo pot full of boiling water.

No weight issues...

2-burner camp stove at Dick's, $99 on sale...

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 02:57:19 PM by Gymgirl »
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline Parrothead127

• Grasshopper
  • Heroes don't wear helmets, they wear dog tags.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2017, 05:48:09 PM »
Gymgirl, I have a burner like that, got an Allamerican 921 for Christmas. As of yet I haven't used it. Does the burner make the bottom of the canner black? I sure hope not because that's exactly how I want to do it this summer.
East of Atlanta
Tin Roof Farm
Zone 7A
Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been.

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2017, 04:29:23 PM »
Parrothead,
I haven't noticed any staining on the outside of the canner.  And, if you add about 1/2 cup of vinegar to the water, the inside should stay fairly good, too.  Of course, time will take its tole...

I was up til 2am this morning, water bath canning beets, and freezing carrots...Indoors....

My kitchen stove took FOR-E-VER to bring my water bath canner up to a boil!!!  And, the high heat has split my Corian countertop.  Which is why I invested in the camp stove.  Someone told me it's not recommended to set up like we do outdoors, because the wind could cause fluctuations in the flame, and mess with the temperature gauge.

I'll take my chances outdoors with the wind... ;)
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2017, 09:01:15 PM »
Gymgirl, I have a burner like that, got an Allamerican 921 for Christmas. As of yet I haven't used it. Does the burner make the bottom of the canner black? I sure hope not because that's exactly how I want to do it this summer.

Parrot head,

Turn the canner upside down and put some Dawn dishwashing soap on the bottom of it. Smear it around with your hand and then turn the pot rightside up and fill it up and start canning. When you finish just wash the bottom of it off and it will keep it from turning black. We do this with our crawfish pot and other pots when cooking on a propane burner.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2017, 11:45:10 AM »
Nice tip, Double B!  And, since you're here to share it, I take it nothing burns down with the Dish detergent, LOL!

Beets.....

Offline Parrothead127

• Grasshopper
  • Heroes don't wear helmets, they wear dog tags.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2017, 07:26:01 AM »
Thanks double B, I'll give that a try with all my pots too!
East of Atlanta
Tin Roof Farm
Zone 7A
Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been.