Author Topic: Creole tomato seeds  (Read 7854 times)

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
Creole tomato seeds
« on: June 26, 2016, 04:20:00 PM »
I picked a 5 gallon bucket for spaghetti sauce and saved the seeds. The bad thing is I had about 6 tomatoes from other types in the bucket so you might get a stray tomato plant. The other types are Big Boy, Better Boy, Celebrity, Giant Belgium and Big Beef. They all grow the same except the Creoles send up more bottom suckers that makes the plant wider or maybe it was my growing but that's what happened. These did as well as expected in the heat and I just picked a few right at 1 lb so I can't complain, this was also my 3rd 5 gallon bucket from 29 plants and there's still more to come. The point I'm making is they grew and produced even in this heat.*I had them in a raised bed.

I'm drying the seeds now and you can have them free. I'll pay for the stamp just PM me your address.

I want everyone to get a chance to get some so post below if you want some and we'll go from there. I know some are like me and grow more than a home gardener and I should have enough to spread around so ask even if it a large amount. You can also send me a PM about these.

That is an old pillow case spread across a crawfish tray and you can see I should have enough to get everyone seeds.

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
Re: Creole tomato seeds
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 07:10:17 PM »
hey ragun.  i would love to try these.  especially if they will produce in the heat.  can you send me 6 seeds?  i will pm ya my address.

thanks for sharing!
post something!  c'mon...you know ya wanna...  :)

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 08:25:18 PM »
6, Really just 6. OK, I'll send 6.  ;)

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 08:27:59 PM »
They look dry to me and I'm doing a germination test, I don't know if it's too early but I gotta try.

Offline Davidx357

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 09:18:46 PM »
I want a few more than 6.
David

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 09:28:35 PM »
YEAH, I'm thinking at least enough to fill a 100' row and then I have to send extra to cover the ones that don't germinate. Everyone should plant at least 40 tomato plants just to get a few good weeks of harvest but even at 40 I find I should've planted more. I'm not saying they should all be the same type but I like tomatoes.

Offline Davidx357

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 09:36:31 PM »
30 plants and I can eat all I want, share some, and freeze some.   But that takes about  45 seeds, that's all I need.  I will plant another variety along with them, probably celebrity or better boy in the green house.  I always plant more than one variety.  Then seed the rest for next spring.

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 10:20:02 PM »
I'm gonna grow some GH tomatoes too. I haven't decided what yet but I'm still researching varieties that will set fruit in cooler temps. I also want to try some dwarf types, I never grew them but the"dwarf" means they should produce faster and grow short plants. I'll post when I figure out what should grow good here with the temp fluctuations.

Still learning, Ain't gardening fun!!!!!!!

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 03:49:41 PM »
see..you taught me something ragun.  i didn't even know dwarf tomatoes were a thing....

please be sure to do a thread on them if you do decide to plant them.  it will be interesting to see how they do vs. just planting a determinate tomato type.

thanks!

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 06:54:31 PM »
Ragun i'll play..

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 07:39:47 PM »
I feel blessed to take the seed delivery virginity from that new mailbox. HAHA!!!

I need the rest of the address in a PM.

Also I have these large jalapeno peppers and they are hot too, I'm saving seeds so if anybody wants to feel the burn, let me know.

Offline Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 10:24:48 PM »
I'm gonna grow some GH tomatoes too. I haven't decided what yet but I'm still researching varieties that will set fruit in cooler temps. I also want to try some dwarf types, I never grew them but the"dwarf" means they should produce faster and grow short plants. I'll post when I figure out what should grow good here with the temp fluctuations.

Still learning, Ain't gardening fun!!!!!!!
hi Ragun, a determinate tomato called Siberian do very well in cool weather here. Good luck.
1/2 acre bush block in the Perth Hills, Australia

Offline Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 08:00:32 AM »

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 08:05:20 AM »
WOW, 55 days, I might have to try that one. Here's what I was referring to in Dwarfs http://heritageseedmarket.com/index.php/product/dwarf-wild-fred/

Offline Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 08:08:46 AM »
It produces a lot of fruit and the taste is very nice for a short season tomato plant. I grow it every year in early spring and late fall. It is a heirloom so you can save your own seeds = bonus IMO  ;)

Offline Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 08:15:00 AM »
55 days would be in good weather IMO. If planted in the middle of winter there is no way they would produce within that timeframe. You guys know what I mean...
Heavy cropping claim is true.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 08:17:16 AM by Vince6424 »

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 08:11:54 AM »
hi vincent.  i ordered some of the siberian seeds yesterday to try.  it says they will do ok in the cool weather, so hopefully i can get some toms well into fall.  :)     thanks for the recommendation!

Offline tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
  • Hillbilly Gardener, amongst many other things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 03:38:14 PM »
Ragun...if ya don't mind I will take about 30 of each of those seeds...the jalapeno's and creoles... I am always looking for good peppers and of course I will give just about any interesting tomato a try. I wil PM my addy.

Thanks
Crack O' Noon Farms.
In the Mountains of Old Virginia.
Proud Appalachian-American.

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2016, 02:58:08 PM »
i looked up the dwarf tomato info.  i just ordered some tiny tim tomatoes.  the little one likes the little red ones that pop when you bite them.  these should be perfect for her.  the plant only gets from 1-2 ft tall and it said I can even grow indoors if I have a window with enough light.   We'll see how it goes when they arrive.  I might put some inside and some in a container outside and see how each does.

Offline favoredwun

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 02:39:41 PM »
I'd like a few please.  I'll pm my address. 
Thank you in advance.