Author Topic: Creole tomato seeds  (Read 7821 times)

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
Re: Creole tomato seeds
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2016, 09:53:31 AM »
ok here is a better pic.  they have already been buried up to their neck at transplant.  they moved up fast.  they have not been in those little pots very long.

i will update again after i get a couple into the bte bed.  the others i think i am going to put in some dirt in a container.  just to see how they do before the frost moves in.
post something!  c'mon...you know ya wanna...  :)

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2016, 04:17:08 PM »
They look strong and healthy, I hope they make before the cold sets in. You need to try growing these next spring, I think they'll do great in your area.

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2016, 09:47:27 PM »
hi ragun.  yes, i will plant them in the spring as well.  i only did a few to see if i could get them to set fruit and ripen before the cold weather gets them.  i still have tons of seeds for the spring. 

will post another pic later once they settle in the bte bed. 

thanks again!
michelle

Offline Davidx357

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2016, 08:30:36 PM »
Mine are getting 2' tall, but still too hot to put in the green house.  Repotted them twice.

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2016, 05:54:13 PM »
hey ragun

just an update.  most of the creole i seeded to try are in the bte, but i had 1 extra that i wanted to put in a planter.  i could not find a pot deep enough that was not in use, so i improvised and stacked 2 of the small frames i had built out of the pallet wood i bought early in the season.  i buried it up to it's neck again and it is already growing really well.  very green.  will try to get a pic of the bte bed later on.

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2016, 08:49:33 AM »
It looks like a stocky little plant, I hope you get a few tomatoes this year. Is that a rebar stake?

Offline Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2016, 09:03:10 AM »
You have a green thumb Michelle :) Tom plants are looking very good.
1/2 acre bush block in the Perth Hills, Australia

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2016, 12:57:51 PM »
hi ragun

no, it is one of those green tomato stakes you can get at wm.  i just put it in there to give it a bit of support.  we had some strong winds here the other day before the rain moved in and it was swaying in the breeze  :)   it is not tied off, just something to lean on.

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2016, 11:14:14 AM »
exciting news ragun.  the single creole plant in the makeshift planter has flowers!  i went to tie it off today and saw a few flowers.  here's hoping they set fruit.  i might get to try one before the freeze!

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2016, 04:52:36 AM »
creole plant is getting pretty big.  still has flowers but don't see any tomatoes yet.  i will go out later this morning to water and check again.  will get hub to take a pic for me. 

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2016, 01:31:52 PM »
hey ragun

this is the creole plant this morning.  :)

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2016, 02:09:01 PM »
It's growing but it needs to hurry up to beat the frost, maybe you can cover it if you have a frost warning.

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2016, 01:24:54 PM »
hi ragun

it's still growing.  it does have flowers on, but has not set fruit yet.  yes, i will cover them when it gets cold.  from what i saw, it is due to stay in the 70's here all the way through monday.  hopefully it will stay nice for a bit after that.

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2016, 09:21:54 AM »
exciting news!  i got my first little tomato on the creole that is in the grow box.  :)   

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2016, 10:49:43 AM »
second little tomato on the creole in the planter.  :)

the ones in the bte bed are flowering.  i don't hold much hope for getting any off of them, but it sure is nice to see them out there growing.   ;D

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2016, 10:58:49 AM »
At least you'll know how long it takes to start making tomatoes for next year. Let me know if you need more seeds for next year.

You could try to make a temporary greenhouse cover for them or maybe let them sprawl on the ground and use a hoop type frame and cover it with plastic. At this point you may as well try to save them with the warmer temps we're having and fronts few and far between.

What has been the lows there.

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2016, 11:57:28 AM »
we had a couple of nights about a week ago in the upper 30's.  i got a bit nervous, but it passed.  this week has been in the 50's at night.  i know early next week we will be back in the low 40's at night.  it is still nice and warm here during the day, so i think they will live for a bit yet.  today and tomorrow are 80.  then we go back into the low 70's as the high next week.

i have a plastic cover i can put over them at night when it gets too cold.  i want to try to keep them alive for as long as possible just to see if i can get a tomato off of them.  :)

thank you for offering, but i still have tons of the seeds you sent me at the start of this thread.  these are just the 6 i germinated and i put in when i got them--to see how they grow.  i will be planting your creole seeds in the spring too for my regular summer garden.    :)

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2016, 06:28:53 AM »
well, this weekend will be the test.  the 2 toms that are on there are getting some size to them, so I really want this plant to live.  last night i put the clear plastic cover over it and clothes pinned the bottom shut to keep the frost off of them.  i am going to leave it on this morning until the temp comes up a bit.

we are due some hard frost -it will be 32 here tonight and tomorrow night.  I am hoping the clear tent thing works.  I put it on later last night.  I am going to try to put it on right after sundown tonight.   All I want is for those 2 toms to live.  :)

I am going to try to cover the ones in the bte bed as well.  They don't have toms set yet, so if they don't make it I will not be as heart broken as if this one goes.

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2016, 08:38:21 AM »
well, last night went well.  everything still looks alive.  i just uncovered them and don't see much wilting/black leaves, etc.  I don't think it got as low here last night as freezing, so it worked in my favor.  It is supposed to be like 29 here tonight though.  Tonight will be the test if they live.  All next week is only in the 40's at night, so if they make it tonight then I should be set to keep them for a bit.  The 2 toms on the single plant are getting some size.  One of the creole in the bte bed has a mess of flowers together.  Of course they will prob not live long enough to bear fruit, but if they did I would not be upset if that superbloom-wannabe gave me a great big tomato.  :)

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2016, 10:01:47 AM »
Michelle,

I don't know how far your garden is from electricity but when you cover the tomatoes you could stretch an extension cord out there and put a light under the plastic. That will keep them alive.

Double B
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z