Author Topic: Creole tomato seeds  (Read 7856 times)

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
Re: Creole tomato seeds
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2016, 01:39:45 PM »
X2 what Double B said and you also can't let the plastic touch the plants.

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2016, 05:30:31 AM »
well, the only plastic i had was gonna touch the plants, so i used old comforters instead.  i am not sure if that was good or bad...but we will see once the sun is up and the temps come up a bit.    :-\
post something!  c'mon...you know ya wanna...  :)

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2016, 06:58:12 AM »
The comforters will be better than the plastic. They will not only provide more warmth but won't burn the plant where they touch the leaves. I hope they made it through the night ;D
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2016, 05:36:13 AM »
well, the potatoes, the single creole with toms on it and the lettuce/spinach container got the blankets and they lived.

i did not have enough extra blankets to do all the toms in the bte bed.  i did end up using a large sheet of plastic.  i figured they are all in cages so the plastic will not get to touch most of the plant.   i think it just got too cold because when i took the plastic off all the plants were pretty dead.  i did not think it would be at actual freezing for that long that it would bother them that much under plastic.  i should have put the lamp out there  :(

weirdly, the pepper plant that has been out there since spring and was not covered at all lived. 

i do have the single creole that has the 2 bigger toms on it left.  it is only supposed to be in the 40's here at night for the next week or so...so hopefully they will get some size to them before the next freeze.

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2016, 05:47:29 AM »
the creole that is still living in the single planter has a 3rd tomato!  i am not sure if i should pull it off to let the plant concentrate on ripening the 2 that are on there...I am considering it.  The plant is finally starting to look a little worn down from the cold nights I think. 

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2016, 03:48:58 PM »
well, it was painful, but i pulled the 3rd tiny tomato off and all the flowers.  i want the plant to focus the last of it's strength on ripening the 2 bigger toms than growing new little ones.  i think the plant is not going to make it much farther as most of our nights are getting pretty cold now. 

here's hoping it lives long enough for the toms that are on there to get a blush to them.

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2016, 10:22:03 PM »
well, the freezing weather finally got the last creole plant.  i took the 2 little toms that were on there off and then pulled the plant out.  one of the toms had some bad spots on it, so i threw it in the woods.  i brought the other one in to see if it will ripen.  it is only the size of a golf ball, but it was fun to watch it grow this late in the year.  :)

i will plant some more creole seeds in the spring in the bte bed.  the plant itself did really well.  it stayed nice and green even up until it froze to death lol.  i am looking forward to seeing how they do in nice warm weather.

thanks again ragun!  i will touch base again for this thread in the spring.

Offline PoconoPits

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2017, 02:10:44 AM »
Sir, i would be very pleased to have a few seeds if you still have any. I will even trade with ya if your interested. I have a lot of waltham butternut, hubbard, turks turban, a massive ton of regular and giant marigold, nasturtium, asparagus. I dont need a lot of tomato seeds since i plant a few different other varieties.