Author Topic: Does anyone grow Edamame for market?  (Read 1864 times)

Offline james150

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
Does anyone grow Edamame for market?
« on: July 04, 2016, 09:45:33 AM »
I'm thinking about growing edamame for our farm stand and farmer's market because there seems to be a demand for it.  I checked our July 4 market (yesterday) and no one grows it.

Up to now I stayed away from it because my fields are sandwiched between my neighbor's large fields that he rotates corn/soybeans yearly.  Now, however I have access to fields away from that possible contamination. 

Our local organic co-op imports their  edamame and it sells pretty well.  I'm wondering if anyone here grows/sells it.

Regards,

Jim
Faith Farms is a family run flower and vegetable farm in the heart of Amish country in the picturesque Driftless Region of Southwestern Wisconsin. Our farm is directly across the road from the Vernon Vineyards and Pedretti Party Barn

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone grow Edamame for market?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 12:20:02 PM »
James,

I grow the BeSweet292 Edamame but only for personal consumption. I don't sell at the market. My wife and I love Edamame and had a big bowl of it last night. Makes for a healthy snack. We have a large Asian population in Houston which is nearby us but I have never seen any for sale at any of the markets I shop at. I bet it would be a good seller.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline corl

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Nunamaker Farms LLC
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 07:35:00 AM »
I grew it and tried to sell it for 2 years. Sales were a bust. Even worse than PEPHP which I still grow and sell a few.
Dave   SE Pa Zone 6b
www.nunamakerfarms.com
Kubota MX5100
Kubota F2100
Phoenix 74 inch rototiller
Phoenix 84 inch finish mower
GB70 garden bedder

Offline james150

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 09:33:04 AM »
I grew it and tried to sell it for 2 years. Sales were a bust. Even worse than PEPHP which I still grow and sell a few.

Do you think it didn't sell because people didn't know what it was and what to do with it or they just don't want it in your area?

I think there would be a demand for it here in SW Wisconsin.

Regards,

jim
Faith Farms is a family run flower and vegetable farm in the heart of Amish country in the picturesque Driftless Region of Southwestern Wisconsin. Our farm is directly across the road from the Vernon Vineyards and Pedretti Party Barn

Offline corl

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Nunamaker Farms LLC
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 10:36:39 AM »
Yes!  Just no demand. I wish I knew what people want to buy. Some days/years some thing sell and then again they don't. Last year I couldn't grow enough cabbage. This year I tilled lots under because of no sales. Grew the same amount each year.
Dave   SE Pa Zone 6b
www.nunamakerfarms.com
Kubota MX5100
Kubota F2100
Phoenix 74 inch rototiller
Phoenix 84 inch finish mower
GB70 garden bedder

Offline james150

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 10:40:19 AM »
Yes!  Just no demand. I wish I knew what people want to buy. Some days/years some thing sell and then again they don't. Last year I couldn't grow enough cabbage. This year I tilled lots under because of no sales. Grew the same amount each year.

Yeah, I hear you.  The marketing part of this business is the hard part for me.  I used to think that growing stuff is the hard part . . .now that I have that down (took 3-4 years and still learning) I find figuring out what to plant, how much and who wants what is a big deal.

I think I will try some edamame next year and see how it goes.

Regards,

Jim

Offline AllisCA

• Grasshopper
  • Amanda, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 11:00:54 AM »
Had to look it up. Never heard of it before.
I'm with Corl on what sells. Something might be a big hit now and a bust later on even if it is regionally popular.
DBA PoorBoyz Produce
Zone 5b

Offline james150

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 11:29:38 AM »
I'm with Corl on what sells. Something might be a big hit now and a bust later on even if it is regionally popular.

Soybeans, they are just damn soybeans. 

If you ever go to a Japanese restaurant that serves sushi they give you a big bowl of them steamed in the shell as an appetizer . . .actually pretty good.  So lots of young people and Asians love them.

Our town has a big hippy population so I think they might sell . . . .

Regards,

Jim

Offline james150

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 11:49:46 AM »
James,

I grow the BeSweet292 Edamame but only for personal consumption. I don't sell at the market. My wife and I love Edamame and had a big bowl of it last night. Makes for a healthy snack. We have a large Asian population in Houston which is nearby us but I have never seen any for sale at any of the markets I shop at. I bet it would be a good seller.

I'm going to give it a try.

Jim

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 02:45:09 PM »
I don't know if you could do this at the market but if you could steam or microwave a few at a time and give samples as people came by kind of like they do at Sam's Club, I think people would buy them. So many people don't know what they are or for that matter don't know anything about edible soybeans. I have eaten them for many years and I am certainly not Asian or young ;)
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 03:16:53 PM »
The farmer that rents my mom's farm planted soybeans a week ago, so if you have a spot ready to go you might be able to get some to pick before the season is over. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline AllisCA

• Grasshopper
  • Amanda, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 06:33:48 PM »

Soybeans, they are just damn soybeans. 

If you ever go to a Japanese restaurant that serves sushi they give you a big bowl of them steamed in the shell as an appetizer . . .actually pretty good.  So lots of young people and Asians love them.

Our town has a big hippy population so I think they might sell . . . .

Regards,

Jim

I'm smack dab in the middle of corn and soybean country. Never heard them called that.
DBA PoorBoyz Produce
Zone 5b

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 07:52:00 PM »
Allis,

It is a different kind of soybean than you are thinking about. Commercially farmed soybeans are for ground up for McDonalds hamburgers and feed for humans and livestock. This is referred to as an edible bean and picked green. Still a soybean but a different kind.

If you go eat Asian food, try some once. They are typically steamed with a coarse sea salt on top and you just eat the bean not the shell.