Author Topic: cherokee purple and black krim seeds  (Read 1987 times)

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
cherokee purple and black krim seeds
« on: July 07, 2016, 03:39:30 PM »
well, tomorrow i am going to make chili with some of the insane amount of tomatoes that are pouring out of my garden now.  i am going to ferment them and then dry them.  it will take a few days, but next week i should have a ton of seeds to give away.

honestly, i am not 100 percent sure on how to tell the black krim from the cherokee purple.  i have both growing and due to an unfortunate wind incident during the seedling phase, they were in no particular order when i planted them.

if you are up for a bit of a surprise when you grow things...i will be glad to send anyone who is interested some seeds.  i will cover the stamp, just pm me an address.

Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Offline SpringTxGardener

• Grasshopper
  • Located between Spring and The Woodlands Texas, 9a
    • View Profile
Re: cherokee purple and black krim seeds
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 07:54:55 PM »
Those tomatoes are beautiful!    What variety is the big yellow one?     I don't need any more seeds, but sometimes I just can't help myself. :)
Arlie

Offline davidjrtx

• Grasshopper
  • 8B Willis, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 10:47:05 PM »
I believe the ones with the green shoulders are the black krim

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 07:31:21 AM »
hi springtx.  honestly, i think it is some sort of cross that happened by accident.  i did plant some golden pear tomatoes, but they were not supposed to get that big.  i think it might have crossed with one of the other tomatoes.  the weird part is that i have not gotten a single tomato out of there that looks like a golden pear should.  i guess that is what happens when your tomato bed is more like a tomato jungle.   i would be glad to pull some seeds from that tomato and send them to you if you want to plant them and see what happens.

Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 11:11:25 AM »
The Black Krims definitely have the green shoulders.  Also, when you cut them in half, look at the flesh pattern on the inside.  The Cher Purples have sort of an upturned "pillbug" body pattern.  The Black Krims have a large, circular pattern in the middle, and the seeds line the outside of that circumference.  The Black Krim flesh is almost purplish green.  And, the Black Krim seeds have a very distinct, almost dark-EMERALD GREEN seed gel.

The Chers flesh is more on the pink side, and the seeds are lighter colored.

Hope this helps.

Almost forgot.  The Black Krims have a "smokey" tone to them.  Close your eyes when you taste it.  You'll see what I mean....

Ask me how I know these things....LOLOL!  :-* :-*

From your pic, I'd guess there are 8 Black Krims, THREE Cher Purples, and that Yellow one looks to be either an Azoychka or a Persimmon...not a cross...seed mix up perhaps?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 11:19:57 AM by Gymgirl »
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 11:36:17 AM »
P.S.

Try this seed-saving method. 

Choose a good specimen from which you wish to save seeds.  Squeeze the seeds out onto a paper towel.  Use your finger to drag each seed along the paper towel, to scrape the gel coating off.  When you've scraped each seed, leave them all on the paper towel.  Yes, they will be stuck...Fold the paper towel over once, then over again, into a neat square.  Use a marker to label the variety and the date you saved this "scraping," right on the paper towel.

Put that square paper towel into an envelope and mail it to me.  I sent you my addy.

You can store multiple squares in a large Ziplok baggie.  Don't zip it up, and, don't forget to label each paper towel square you put in the baggie.  Your seeds will be ready for planting by your next planting season!

Hugs! 
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Online tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
  • Hillbilly Gardener, amongst many other things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 04:29:13 PM »
WCG...those are some good looking tomatoes...I agree with Gymgirl on the variety breakdown.
Crack O' Noon Farms.
In the Mountains of Old Virginia.
Proud Appalachian-American.

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 07:48:35 PM »
hi gymgirl.  thanks for the info...so how DID you know all that?

if there was a mess up on the yellow one, it was from the supplier.  The golden pear seeds were the only yellow ones I planted. 

I got the toms gutted today and made my chili.   I kept the yellow one and the big one directly behind it separate as they were the largest and hoping someone would know what they are.  based on your feedback the big one i saved would have been one of the cp. 

the rest all got put into 1 jar to ferment.  it will be a surprise for anyone who wants to try them to see what they get.  based on your info most of these are black krim.

i will send out any combo of the 3 to anyone who wants some.

thanks to everyone who has replied already.  these are gonna ferment for the weekend and then i will dry them a few days.  once they are dry they will go out to everyone.   
Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 06:44:46 AM »
hi everyone,

well, i think they are done.  i am going to mail them out tomorrow. 

full disclosure: Due to our moving, I don't have time to do a soil test to see what the germination rate is.  these are only the seeds that sank, so they should be ok. 

thanks to everyone who replied!

Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song

Offline nightroad

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 10:30:54 AM »
Thank you.

Offline froggy2303

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 03:08:36 PM »
Seeds came in the mail today. Thanks Michelle!
south central Arkansas-zone 8a

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 04:00:06 PM »
I received the seeds too, Thanks WC

Offline nuggethound

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 06:12:02 PM »
Received the seeds Michelle. Thank you. Look forward to growing them next season.

JB
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 06:14:18 PM by nuggethound »
Retired in South Carolina.
Zone 8a

"Wasn't born here but got here as fast as I could".

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 11:09:46 PM »
Received my seeds.  Thanks, Michelle! :-*