Author Topic: Brown Gravy Pea  (Read 1412 times)

Offline whiskydog

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Dallas Ga.
    • View Profile
Brown Gravy Pea
« on: July 21, 2016, 10:01:21 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good pea that makes a brown gravy.   

Special Lady requested I plant a few for her. 

I'm all set up for pink-eyes but for her I will readjust the sheller..

Thanks
Al
If I'm not having problems,, I'm not doing it right..

Zone 7 Northwest Ga.

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
Re: Brown Gravy Pea
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 10:34:22 AM »
I have seeds for Piggot family Heirloom Cowpea but haven't planted yet, I thought they would make a darker gravy so after reading your post I looked around and found a thread in another forum that said it would make a dark pot liquor.

Here's the post from the grower for http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/catalog/pea_cowpea.html

Brown Whipporwill is the original Whipporwill that was widely available until about 20 years ago. It is a small to medium sized pea with about 10 per pod on average. It is widely adapted and productive, but a bit slow to shell because of the size. It has a good robust flavor in the green mature stage. Brown Whipporwill is often used in naturalization plantings for wildlife. It is also a good choice for interplanting with corn.

White Whipporwill is a cream pea often traded among folks living in the rural south from North Georgia across to Mississippi. It is very productive, has excellent flavor with relatively light colored juice, and easy to shell at the green mature stage. This is a premium pea for fresh eating and canning.

Whipporwill which is listed as unavailable this year is similar to the Brown Whipporwill but the peas are multicolored with shades of tan, brown, and reddish brown. It appears to have originated from the old Brown Whipporwill quite a few years ago. This pea is about the same size as White Whipporwill, very productive, and makes a slightly darker juice than White Whipporwill. It is a good pea for fresh eating and canning in the green mature stage.

Piggott's Family Heirloom is a large speckled pea that tastes very good and is relatively fast to shell because of the size. The only flaw with this pea is that production is not as high as I would like. Don't take that the wrong way though, they will make way more than you expect, just not up to the production level of White Whipporwill. This is a premium pea for fresh eating at the green mature stage. Juice is slightly darker than cream type peas.

Of the above, White Whipporwill would be first choice if you like cream type peas with lighter juice. Piggott's Family Heirloom would be first choice if you like a slightly darker juice.

The reason I know the above is because I grow the seed for Sandhill.

DarJones

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 10:42:03 AM »
I think Donald is growing some this year so he may have already cooked some.

Offline thebayougardener

• "Keep it Simple" - "Less is More"
  • Administrator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • The Bayou Gardener
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 12:23:14 PM »
I ordered the “Stick Ups” but never planted them.

Donald
Located on the banks of Bayou des Glaises - Louisiana  Zone 8

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

http://www.thebayougardener.com

Offline whiskydog

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Dallas Ga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 01:55:06 PM »
Thanks for the link, RG,  I saved it.  there are some interesting varieties there.  I'll see if I can get a start on some of the old varieties there. 

Wouldn't ya know I got rid of all my old crowders, silvers, rippers, and zippers last season..
so what do customers call for.. Well pink-eyes sold great for a while.. and I just planted 5 pounds more of them day before yesterday..

Al

Zone 7 Northwest Ga.

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 03:53:18 PM »
Al,

While I am not a brown pea fan, my neighbor loves the brown crowder. He says the pot liquor is really good. Holmes Seed Company sells a top pick brown crowder seed.

I am not sure if that's what your looking for but you can check it out and see.

Double B
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline whiskydog

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Dallas Ga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 04:20:42 PM »
Thanks BB I think I can get those local, I'll check around.

Zone 7 Northwest Ga.