Author Topic: Freezing tomatoes  (Read 1775 times)

Offline USMC130FE

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Freezing tomatoes
« on: August 15, 2016, 06:09:01 PM »
Just came across (google) about freezing tomatoes instead of canning? Anyone here use this method pro's-con's??  Looks to be a whole lot easier to do and they say the flavor is unmatched. Might have to try this while I learn to can stuff.
Thanks,
Steve
Sylvan Beach area, Northern NY, zone 4B

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Freezing tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 06:44:55 PM »
we freeze some, and can a lot more, our problem is we don't have freezer room for all that we want to keep, the ones we can are cooked down into what we call Stewing tomatoes, it already has all the seasoning along with the Onion, Celery, Bell Pepper, This works out for us when we are cooking anything that needs tomato, Just dump in every how many jars that are needed

this year we canned 90 pts. like this

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Offline USMC130FE

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 07:07:11 PM »

LakeRat,
can you share your recipe?

Offline Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 08:05:35 PM »
I used to freeze sauce but now  I only use water bath canning  and the dehydrator for all my tomatoes. I need my freezer space for other stuff.

To answer your question freezing sauce is easy and an excellent way to store your tomatoes for use after your garden is done .  The flavor is as fresh as the day you made it.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline USMC130FE

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 09:00:59 PM »
Thanks Maggie!
I have a lot to learn and hopefully I can save some of these tomatoes that I have growing. Will be a good way until I figure out how to put stuff up correctly. Just bought a canning book and cleaned up my moms pressure canner and water bath pans. Have to go buy a bunch of different size jars and stuff. It"ll be a venture for sure....

Offline PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 05:00:24 AM »
We freeze all our tomato's, juiced or "hunks". My Wife rarely cans. I canned all the time before her and I got together 8 years ago. I let her handle the kitchen the way she wants while I do other choirs. She does the "hunks" different than most I know----she peals/cuts out bad spots straight off the bush then she smells them one at a time as she places them in the pot. When She gets some in the pot she reaches in and squeezes them---tearing them into hunks. Boils a few minutes, cools and pours into zip-lock bags and freezes. Juice----she will cut off any "bad" spots---cut in half---smells for sour ones---then drop them in the JL Juicer, pour juice into a pot----bring to a boil for a 3 to 4 minutes----cools and bags. 

Offline LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 04:25:55 PM »
OK USMC >< recipe is Up

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Offline USMC130FE

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 04:43:14 PM »
OK USMC >< recipe is Up

Rat

Thanks Rat!

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 08:54:54 AM »
i don't freeze tomatoes right off the vine. you can use up a lot more tomatoes by cooking them down first and save some space.  i tend to cook mine down into what i call a 'base' which is just the tomatoes/onion/bell peppers/salt/pepper.  once it thickens up a bit i let it cool and then put it through the food processor to break up the skins and into various sized little square ziplock containers to freeze it.   it is a good base for chili and sauce, over an omelette as is or some eggplant.

i imagine you can freeze tomatoes just cut up off the vine-but being mostly water, they will be complete mush when you go to defrost them.
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 07:20:58 PM »
If you have a bunch of small green tomatoes at the end of the season you can make "green tomato relish"  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/19584/green-tomato-relish/   This recipe is a little different than the one mom has made for the last 75 years or so, but close.  Big change from this recipe is to use small tomatoes (gulf ball size) because the seeds are tiny and few, and its approximately equal parts tomatoes, peppers, and onions.  If you like hot peppers its a good place to use them up. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline corl

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Nunamaker Farms LLC
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2016, 07:51:02 AM »
We freeze tomatoes right off the vine. Rince them off, core them and put in freezer bags or vacuum pack them with the skins on. When using them you just warm them up by running hot water over them and the skins come right off. Simple, fast and you can do as few or as many at a time. We also cook sauce and stew and freeze them. Like La Roma's best but any tomato is fine for freezing.
Dave   SE Pa Zone 6b
www.nunamakerfarms.com
Kubota MX5100
Kubota F2100
Phoenix 74 inch rototiller
Phoenix 84 inch finish mower
GB70 garden bedder

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 06:04:32 PM »
The tomato skins are so nutrient rich, I would never peel tomatoes. In order to freeze them, I just cut them into chunks straight from the garden and throw into the food processor(skins on) with peppers and process them to almost a puree. Then bag in gallon freezer bags and put in the freezer to make spaghetti sauce,etc. in the winter..Can't even tell the skins were left on. I also make homemade rotel tomatoes the same way using tomatoes/ green chili's or jalapenos. This I pour into pint jars and freeze after the food processor. Always a treat during the long,dark months!

Online tuttimato

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 12:06:27 PM »
At the beginning and end of my tomato crop I don't get enough to can or make sauce so I wash, trim and freeze until I get enough for a worthwhile batch.  This is how I discovered how easily the skins slip off when thawed.  Now I purposely freeze them for a few days if I'm not in the canning mood.  I'll never have enough freezer space to leave them in there for long.  Tomatoes are absolutely the easiest thing to can.
Try and you might, don't and you won't.

MS Gulf Coast, Zone 8b