Author Topic: Pocket Pistol  (Read 2236 times)

Offline TheCutNShootTiredGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Let's make some SMOKE
    • View Profile
Pocket Pistol
« on: August 18, 2016, 01:21:44 AM »
...I have never been much on Pistols. Around 1992 I did purchase a Blue Colt Python 357 magnum with a six inch barrel. I held on to it for a while but decided later I had made a mistake. I was lethal back then, with a Shotgun, Rifle or Bow but could not hit the side of a barn with a Pistol unless I threw the Pistol itself.

....Fast forward. I have been thinking about a Pocket Pistol. I have been looking at the Sig Sauer P238 380, Glock 42 or 43. I have really been considering having the Pistol equipped with a Laser.
...Anyone have any experience with any of these three pistols? I would appreciate a point of view from a owner or past owner of these. Thanks, Mike

Offline Digger66

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket Pistol
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 09:59:21 PM »
Hello, Mike

Mike I carry a pocket pistol about 50% of the time and I like the Sig Sauer P938 in 9mm. It is the same size as the P238 but in a 9mm round. It is light and I use a sticky pocket holster. The 938 holds 8+1 of 9mm and I do carry an extra magazine or two. The P938 shoots well and came with night sights. You can also fit a nice laser to it and it still feels good in your pocket.
Anyway hope this helps

Bill
North Central Florida, 8,000 sq. ft. no till Back to Eden Garden. Equipment: One Heron, One Honey Bee, one garden Rake and one rusting tiller.
Retired and enjoying the good life. Married to a wonderful woman. Zone 8b/9a

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 10:03:48 PM »
  I have a 1903 Colt .380ACP Pocket Pistol.  Nice little popper that I got from my wife's Aunt when she said she was too old for a gun in the house.   ;)

This is a link but mine is same except for my Ivory Grips. 

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 10:31:30 PM by tbird »
Barking Dog Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra

Click for weather forecast

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Let's make some SMOKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 10:36:26 PM »
Hello, Mike

Mike I carry a pocket pistol about 50% of the time and I like the Sig Sauer P938 in 9mm. It is the same size as the P238 but in a 9mm round. It is light and I use a sticky pocket holster. The 938 holds 8+1 of 9mm and I do carry an extra magazine or two. The P938 shoots well and came with night sights. You can also fit a nice laser to it and it still feels good in your pocket.
Anyway hope this helps

Bill

....I was not aware of the Sig Sauer P938. I will have to check it out. Thanks

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Let's make some SMOKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 10:37:23 PM »
  I have a 1903 Colt .380ACP Pocket Pistol.  Nice little popper that I got from my wife's Aunt when she said she was too old for a gun in the house.   ;)

This is a link but mine is same except for my Ivory Grips. 

...Thanks T.

Offline newbie57

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 05:54:32 PM »
My carry pistol is a 9mm Smith and Wesson Shield. I have several but find I like this the best. Fits good in my pocket and is more narrow than most pistols its size but it does have a single stack mag. Comes with a 7 round magazine and a 8 round magazine. I have a Kimber ultra carry 45 but still prefer the shield as my conceal carry.

Buddy
Ford 2000 tractor, Covington planter, harrow, rotary cutter, cultivator and numerous manual labor tools

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Let's make some SMOKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 11:35:13 PM »
My carry pistol is a 9mm Smith and Wesson Shield. I have several but find I like this the best. Fits good in my pocket and is more narrow than most pistols its size but it does have a single stack mag. Comes with a 7 round magazine and a 8 round magazine. I have a Kimber ultra carry 45 but still prefer the shield as my conceal carry.

Buddy
...Thanks for the info.

Offline tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
  • Hillbilly Gardener, amongst many other things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 03:16:28 PM »
...I have never been much on Pistols. Around 1992 I did purchase a Blue Colt Python 357 magnum with a six inch barrel. I held on to it for a while but decided later I had made a mistake. I was lethal back then, with a Shotgun, Rifle or Bow but could not hit the side of a barn with a Pistol unless I threw the Pistol itself.

....Fast forward. I have been thinking about a Pocket Pistol. I have been looking at the Sig Sauer P238 380, Glock 42 or 43. I have really been considering having the Pistol equipped with a Laser.
...Anyone have any experience with any of these three pistols? I would appreciate a point of view from a owner or past owner of these. Thanks, Mike

The real question here is what are you most comfortable with in a handgun? Does the simplicity of a revolver work better for you? A single action auto? or a SA/DA auto?

As far as pocket pistols go I tend not to carry one. I carry a Glock 19 or Colt 1911 with a .38 snub backup but if you want one that is rugged as hell consider a Ruger or Glock (you pick the model). I have heard good things about the Ruger LCP and Glock's 43 is decent close work weapon and any Sig product is decent too.

My woman's pocket carry is a Walther PPK which she loves and while it is a pocket pistol (to me anyway) it is comfortable for someone with bigger hands

Lots of things to consider in getting a pocket gun....
Crack O' Noon Farms.
In the Mountains of Old Virginia.
Proud Appalachian-American.

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Let's make some SMOKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 07:54:10 PM »

The real question here is what are you most comfortable with in a handgun? Does the simplicity of a revolver work better for you? A single action auto? or a SA/DA auto?

As far as pocket pistols go I tend not to carry one. I carry a Glock 19 or Colt 1911 with a .38 snub backup but if you want one that is rugged as hell consider a Ruger or Glock (you pick the model). I have heard good things about the Ruger LCP and Glock's 43 is decent close work weapon and any Sig product is decent too.

My woman's pocket carry is a Walther PPK which she loves and while it is a pocket pistol (to me anyway) it is comfortable for someone with bigger hands

Lots of things to consider in getting a pocket gun....

.....The "Biggest" thing to consider, in my case, is my size. I'm a "Fat Boy". I could easily conceal a handgun, but then getting to it in a Quick and easy type maneuver is another thing. All my pants have Big pockets and my hands are small. I can get things out of my pocket quick. Thus, I am leaning towards a Pocket pistol, auto. My Friends say I don't need a pistol, most people stay out of the way of a Tank.

Offline tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 08:31:55 PM »
Being a former Fatboy myself I can empathize *wink* it just means you can carry more gun is all.

Here are some Pocket Pistols for you to investigate:

Glock 42   .380 Auto capacity 6
Glock 43 9mm cap 6

Bersa Thunder 380 auto cap 8

Kahr CW9 9mm cap 7

Ruger LC9  9mm cap 7

SCCY CPX-2   9mm  cap 10

Sig P290RS   9mm  cap 6

Springfield Armory XD-S 3.3  9mm cap 7

Walther CCP  9mm  cap 8

Of all of the above the ones I could recommend would be either the Glocks, Ruger, SCCY or Walther. 

The Springfield is just not comfortable to me,
I like the feel of the Sig but the recoil is heavy on that particular frame.
The Bersa was ok for a PPK copy but felt really stiff and not all that accurate.
The Kahr just didn't feel right in my hand, it shot Ok but the feel just didn't work for me.
I am used to Glocks so of course they were comfortable to me.
the Ruger felt good but was a bit snappy on the recoil.
The SCCY surprised me, it was comfortable, accurate enough for a belly gun and has a decent mag capacity.
The Walther really felt good and it was smooth to shoot too... accuracy is just tolerable.

There's my breakdown for ya...
Crack O' Noon Farms.

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 09:32:12 PM »
I don't own a pocket gun but allow me to throw this out there.It is a fact that an experienced LEO that shoots 100% on the range will only shoot between 20 and 35% in a combat situation.It's also a well known fact that the bad guys are increasingly wearing bullet proof vests.Another prove fact is that the 357 has more knockdown power that the 45acp.(But I do love shooting the 1911).
When you start looking at capacities that 357only holds6 and two bulky speed loaders will only get you 18 rounds.You can go to the auto loaders and get up to 17 rounds with easy to carry clips and with 2 extras in your hip pocket you can max out at 51 rounds.The problem is that's a 9mm and you're not punching armor with it.The other drawback is your ability to put rounds on target.If you doing 100% on range you can expect to put 10 to 16 rounds on target but that doesn't mean you're going to stop the bad guy,especially if he's armored up.
The ar pistol will punch armor but it's not what you will want for a carry gun. The 17hmr will punch armor but they don't make it in an auto loading pistol. If I have to carry a wheel gun then I'll just stay with the 357.
There is however   one gun out there that can be concealed,is an auto loader,is clip feed,will punch armor and is a high capacity gun.I know this sounds weird but I'm actually considered the kel-tec pmr-30. Light weight to carry,accurate now finally,zero recoil,30 round clips.Weth a couple in the back pocket gives you 90 light weight to carry 1850fps armor punching rounds that will at the least take the bad guys out of the fight.Basically that's what your goal should be  anyway.I'm not concerned if I take a life as much as I am to end the current thread by taking them out of the fight.I know how unconventional this sounds but there are a lot of advantages to increasing the amount of lead you can send down range.We don't have to all be the same and I'm thinking this will work for me. Thoughts?
Wade
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!

Offline tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 10:33:26 PM »
Wade... I just looked up that Kel-tec....quite an interesting little beastie right there...I am intrigued.... hmmmmm

Ya know that wouldn't be a bad SHTF Bug Out Bag weapon at all if it is at least moderately good accuracy wise.... 22 Mag is not a bad round at all... I know lots of Bambi's get dropped with that around where I live....
Crack O' Noon Farms.

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2016, 06:21:24 AM »
I'm still trying to find one to put in my hand!I need to see how it is balanced.I'm somewhat concerned with the size of the grip and the grip angle.I have smaller hands(Can't palm a basketball) and everyone is a bit different but a 55* grip angle is supposed to be what fits most people best.With a grip angle that actually fits you,when you go on target it points where your finger would naturally point so it comes up on target every time instead of wasting 3-4 rounds getting on target in a combat situation.
They are said to have improved the accuracy now with a new barrel.If I buy it will be a keeper so if accuracy is not there I'll just go to green mountain. I also know a guy 40 miles from here that bought out all the Douglas equipment when they switched over so there are options.
If you run into one let me know how you like it!
Wade
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!

Offline Digger66

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2016, 12:06:59 PM »
Mike,

Here is a link to a test and review of the Sig P938, it speaks for itself. I know I love mine both for the balance and quick access from my pocket, it also makes a great backup gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqa_GZcEV9M

Bill
North Central Florida, 8,000 sq. ft. no till Back to Eden Garden. Equipment: One Heron, One Honey Bee, one garden Rake and one rusting tiller.
Retired and enjoying the good life. Married to a wonderful woman. Zone 8b/9a

Offline ol hippie

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 10:00:27 PM »
I don't carry in pocket often. One of the two I have that I could pocket carry is the M&P Shield. The other is small .22, but even the .22, I still carry in holster.  Not a pocket gun but the pmr-30 is nice. I conceal carry it during the cooler months.           Don
South-Central Alabama