Author Topic: Gun's, Gun's and More Gun's  (Read 2781 times)

Offline PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Gun's, Gun's and More Gun's
« on: August 26, 2016, 03:53:51 PM »
 We might have talked about this on the old Forum, should a person set on a lot of guns or Keep a few and sell the rest?? Why Keep them?? Why Sell them??

Offline stumpjumper400

• Grasshopper
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    • View Profile
Re: Gun's, Gun's and More Gun's
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 04:22:05 PM »
I will only sell or trade a weapon as long as there is a replacement. I keep quite a few different calibers around and load for all of them. Every time I have outright gotten rid of one, I end up wishing I hadn't.

Steve
87 Ford 2910 and a 58 Ford 841 Almost all the implements you could want for them. Valdosta, GA

Offline newbie57

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 04:23:16 PM »
I ain't selling nothing. Have not bought any lately but I did inherit 5 from my Dad of various caliber. Really don't have a why except I just like pistols. Mostly buying ammo now when I can just in case we have another shortage I want get caught like I did last time. My wife has told he she did not understand because you can only hold one at the time in each hand. I guess I got it from my Dad, I just love handguns.
Buddy
Ford 2000 tractor, Covington planter, harrow, rotary cutter, cultivator and numerous manual labor tools

Offline stumpjumper400

• Grasshopper
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 04:26:55 PM »
I guess I really didn't answer your question. No, never get rid of guns. How's that?
87 Ford 2910 and a 58 Ford 841 Almost all the implements you could want for them. Valdosta, GA

Offline PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 05:10:50 PM »
OK, lets rephrase the question-----if you do No Hunting, never shoot them, you got guns that you have not seen/handled in years-----is their a point that you got to many dang guns----If you got 3 or 4 of the same model/gun?? If you got several each of the same caliber? If you were to die---your kids would have to deal with them---probably sell most?? How many is to many if you are a non-hunter over 60?

Offline USMC130FE

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 05:22:38 PM »
You could donate them to a retired Marine Gunny!!  ;) 8)
I have plenty of room at the new place and enjoy shooting.
Sylvan Beach area, Northern NY, zone 4B

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 05:31:24 PM »
I think it all comes down to your personal view of what a gun is. I love guns! That being said they are still only a tool like so many other tools we all have or at least should have.You should have a gun to fill all you needs you have for a gun and then some back-up. I know you don't own just one hammer!

Beyond this,before deciding between keeping or selling,you have to consider the usefulness of each individual gun or tool and determine if it is going to be valued in the future.Example: I love the savage 24's. They are combo guns. At one time I had rebuilt or reconditioned many and possessed 43 of them. I know if things go south a nice foraging gun is going to be worth some money.One of my sons needed some help once so I sold of $8000 worth. That took priority over "prepping" for future problems. I still have a comfortable stable of 24's that I plan on bartering with if necessary in the future when and if our economy fails.
You have to look at what you have and make the same decisions.I don't have meat in my freezer that I don't plan on eating.Neither will I have guns in the closet I don't plan on shooting.
Wade
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 08:45:50 PM »
I was raised with guns and dad taught us how to use them when we were 9 or 10, and I have always had a few in the house.  At present I have a shotgun with a short and long barrel, a 22 semi auto, and a 9mm carbine, which I will never sell.  They are tools and even though I don't hunt anymore they are still tool that every home should have.  I have a chainsaw too that hasn't seen the light of day for 3 years too.
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Online tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
  • Hillbilly Gardener, amongst many other things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 09:04:20 PM »
My .02

Guns are an item that never seems to go down in value. Now all of us who collect or are avid shooters have a few "Safe Queens" but even those might have sentimental value. For instance... I have a Wilson Combat .45 that cost over 3K and I have only fired it a half dozen times since 2008 when I bought it. I don't shoot it a lot because I am a peasant at heart and I am afraid of devaluing it by shooting it too much BUT I won't get rid of it because it was a gift to myself that I bought for surviving my first tour in Iraq. I have many 1911's and I shoot most of them often enough except that one.  I have many rifles from WW1, I collect them sorta and they all have value to me due to the history behind them.

I have also bought guns that I had no intention of keeping just to try them out or resell them.

A weapon is usually one of a few things when you buy/get it ....1. A pragmatic defense tool  2. A sporting arm.  3. Collector/ego piece or 4. An investment  all of those choices are very personal and the value one places on the weapon is based on the reason for the purchase/acquisition and the nature of the person making the choice.

So as to the "why" of having more than a couple??? Because you can.

The real question is "Why not?"
Crack O' Noon Farms.
In the Mountains of Old Virginia.
Proud Appalachian-American.

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 10:08:56 PM »
I probably have less guns than most but I have some really nice guns. I love to shoot competition and will shoot a sporting clays tournament tomorrow, weather permitting. That said, I have some guns that I have inherited that are beauties. Model 1789 Stevens rifle in .32 long that belonged to my great, great grandfather.  Belgium made Browning Auto 5 that was grandfathers and so forth and so on. My three grandsons have helped to empty out many of my guns in the safe by coming over and saying, " Paw Paw.. I need a deer rifle and Paw Paw..... I need a shotgun. Most of those I have won so it's not a lot of money out the door but my favorites areole of my shotguns (Kreighoff K-80) and my long range rifle, the FN Herstal bedded in a McMillan A-5 with an F1 Nightforce. Many others just sit in the safe begging for a trip to the range.

My every day rifle that goes almost everywhere is a CZ 452 Varmit (.22lr) with a Weaver Grand Tactical on top.  I dearly love to shoot a .22 and if you can shoot one at 200 yds, you can shoot anything else.

How many do you need?? PD Riverman.... We may never know the answer because most of us never have enough. If you have children and grand children passing them down is a wonderful thing to do.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 07:12:44 AM »
I am not into guns but I have a couple of very dedicated friends who are. It would seem to me that the reason to buy & hold would be more for a collector . One friend does toy guns & I'm sure his collection is priceless , I see guns in his collection that I remember when I was a kid, the other friend is more into revolvers , some I would be afraid to shoot and some are a work of art. He has more than he would ever need except for collection. If I had a closet of guns they would be there for a reason & I wouldn't part with them unless I needed the money.

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline Digger66

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 01:53:06 PM »
That's a very interesting question PDR, I have owned many guns since I was 16, some I still have many I do not for various reasons. Some I traded for a new gun, some I sold to my Uncle, that was a gun collector, some I just out right sold for some reason that seemed like a good idea at the time. Looking back at all that and realizing I got rid of some crown jewels that are worth lots of money today and even more valuable to collectors. I also realize that I really loved to shoot them. One other fact is some of my guns came to me by way of my father and grandfather so those are very special to me and will always be with me to the end at which point they will be passed down to my son, son n law and two grandsons. If I get right down to it, I should have kept every one of them. Many of my guns have a specific use as I shot in many competitive forms as well as hunting. Some day they will go to my family members who will hold them close to their hearts as I hold the ones that I have inherited close to my heart. My position is keep them all, beside they may come in handy some day soon. I sure the hell will not get rid of them to be politicly correct.

Just my thoughts
Bill
North Central Florida, 8,000 sq. ft. no till Back to Eden Garden. Equipment: One Heron, One Honey Bee, one garden Rake and one rusting tiller.
Retired and enjoying the good life. Married to a wonderful woman. Zone 8b/9a

Online MudHog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 08:33:03 AM »
I have one and only one gun that I have sold in my life and I have vowed to never sell another gun. I know where said gun is too and I've inquired numerous times to the guy to buy it back with no luck.

To me guns are not only functional items for those of us who actually use them, but they are also collector items and investments. If I would a person whom never handled or uses a gun, but had some, I would keep them for their mere value.

New Iberia, LA - Zone 9a

Offline PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 11:50:55 AM »
Well I might keep a couple dozen of them and sell the rest. I do not have real expensive guns, some Remington's, a few Browning's, Ruger, Colt, Savage, High Point etc, etc. If I knew I was going to die soon----I would sell about all of them. My Kids don't need then-----they had rather have the money. I got a few that was my Dads before he died 40 years ago and to be Honest I do not trust either of my Kids with the safe Keeping of them. They leave their doors unlocked a lot, go on trips and post about it on FB while they are packing, post pics during the drive/trip and return-----both kids have ALOT of FB Friends so a couple thousand of those know every time they are gone. I just worry about the safe keeping of my Dads Guns---as well as some of my special ones.

Offline Lost in Lebeau

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 03:04:08 PM »
Everybody has a collection of something or other..... for me it's my guns. The old timers on both sides of my family hunted to put food on the table. I cherish the weapons they've left me and WILL NOT part with them.
I, like Mudhog, sold one gun and have regretted it ever since.
I intend to add to the collection as often as possible.
Shane
45 acres in the metropolis of Lebeau, LA (Latest Census recorded a whopping 110 residents!). Zone 9

Offline catgrass

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2016, 02:29:33 PM »
Keep your guns-ISIS is here-we just don't know when the fight will begin. :o
Watch where you're going, not where you've been

Offline PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2016, 03:25:13 PM »
Keep your guns-ISIS is here-we just don't know when the fight will begin. :o

I for sure will never be Gun-less---if I can help it. My thoughts was how many does a man need-----if he never hunts/shoots/uses them?

To get some input----lets say a man has a dozen, with Ammo for all-----does a non-user man need more, does a non-used man need 30 or 40?? I am curious to what you guys/Ladies feel is enough?

One other thing----I am not a gun collector---I am not a deer hunter I am a deal hunter. If I find a good buy I grab it, but I usually re-sell----I have sold some guns in the last few years. I do not regret selling any of those----I bought them to resell. I have not been Deal hunting for the last couple years so I have not bought any lately. I do not sell all---some I keep----just trying to figure out how many I need to keep---LOL.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 03:33:10 PM by PD-Riverman »

Online thebayougardener

• "Keep it Simple" - "Less is More"
  • Administrator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • The Bayou Gardener
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2016, 03:38:26 PM »
I would think a minimum of 1 each of your favorite shotgun, rifle and pistol would do the trick.  Have an ample supply of ammo for each.  That should cover all the bases if ever needed.

Donald
Located on the banks of Bayou des Glaises - Louisiana  Zone 8

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

http://www.thebayougardener.com

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2016, 09:28:59 PM »
Do like Donald said and then if you would like to increase your collection,  then you can start what I call "Caliber Collecting."  I do that.  I collect 308s and 7.62X39.  I have other calibers but a few design multiples of those two.
Barking Dog Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra

Click for weather forecast

Offline Digger66

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2016, 11:42:18 AM »
Hum, "Caliber Collecting", I wonder if I could get my wife to look at it that way, kind of like "Antique Collecting"

Bill
North Central Florida, 8,000 sq. ft. no till Back to Eden Garden. Equipment: One Heron, One Honey Bee, one garden Rake and one rusting tiller.
Retired and enjoying the good life. Married to a wonderful woman. Zone 8b/9a