Author Topic: 9 mm shells?  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Daniel Grant

• Grasshopper
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
9 mm shells?
« on: August 29, 2016, 09:54:49 PM »
I have a Glock 9mm and I want to order several hundred rounds of ammunition. What is the difference between 9mm cartridges and Luger 9mm? Will my Glock shoot booth? I was going to order from Sportman's Guide. There prices seem to be good or is there a better source. As always I appreciate your responses.
Dan
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor

Offline Kyosa

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: 9 mm shells?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 12:30:51 AM »
Sportsman's Guide often offers free shipping on orders of $49 or more.  They will say to enter a shipping code (given with the ad) when checking out.  If you're buying several hundred rounds you won't have any trouble with the $49 requirement.  If they aren't offering the free shipping deal be careful.  Ammunition is heavy and shipping costs can mount up quickly, thus erasing any savings.  '9mm' and '9mm Luger' should be the same.  There are some relatively obscure oddball 9mm's (9mm Makarov for one) but generally '9mm' means '9X19 Luger' unless stated otherwise.

Offline MudHog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 09:24:21 AM »
You want 9x19mm Parabellum, or 9mm Luger as called by SAAMI. I want to recall that there is 9x17mm all the way to 9x21mm, but 9x19mm is the most common. For reference, the two numbers at the end is the case length. 9mm OD of bullet and 19mm length of case.

Your slide will also be marked 9x19mm on it too.

Word of wisdom when buying in bulk, ALWAYS figure your per round price. A lot of the "bulk" prices that come with the ammo cans have a higher per round price than buying in the 100 or 250 round packs. They claim "FREE" ammo can, but your really paying a higher per round price to cover the cost of the ammo can.
New Iberia, LA - Zone 9a

Offline tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
  • Hillbilly Gardener, amongst many other things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 09:57:53 AM »
Dan, Ditto on what others have said about 9mm Parabellum and 9mm Luger, same thing just make sure it's 9x19.

I carry a Glock daily and can tell you that they aren't picky on ammo generally. If you are looking for just practice rounds go with the cheap Russian stuff but just make sure you clean it after each outing. For defense get yourself a couple or 4 mags worth of hydro shoks or hollow points. Expensive, not for plinking, but very effective for defense.

Which Glock do you have?
Crack O' Noon Farms.
In the Mountains of Old Virginia.
Proud Appalachian-American.

Offline newbie57

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 07:21:44 PM »
A coworker of mine ordered 1000 rounds of 45's from Sportsman Guide and I went on halves with him. He is a member with them and members get better deals and I don't think we had to pay shipping. I have bought 9mm, 45's and 223 from Bulk Ammo a few times. Bulk Ammo has shipping cost or at least I have not ran into a special yet. I do like dealing with them because of there service. Last I ordered I did on a Thursday night and they were on my front porch Saturday morning and that was with normal shipping. Plus they carry a pretty good selection. I believe the last order I did was for 223's and I think for a 1000 Rounds of .223 Ammo by PMC - 55gr FMJBT I paid $309.00 with tax and shipping it was a total of $329. I don't mind paying the shipping if I get good service and so far they have been real good to deal with. I have found a lot of companies take a while to deliver and when you call they say they were temporarily out of stock and had to wait for more to come in. Have not ran into that with Bulk Ammo or Sportsman Guide yet.

Buddy
Ford 2000 tractor, Covington planter, harrow, rotary cutter, cultivator and numerous manual labor tools

Offline newbie57

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 07:26:53 PM »
You can get steel casings for around $100.00 less on the 223's I just prefer shooting the brass myself. No special reason I just like the brass better.

Buddy
Ford 2000 tractor, Covington planter, harrow, rotary cutter, cultivator and numerous manual labor tools

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 09:33:52 PM »
  I do not shoot steel 223s because the steel is protected by a lacquer finish that begins to foul the chamber when the chamber is hot. If you shoot a lot and at a higher fire rate the rounds will begin to not chamber properly.  If you shoot a lot and then chamber a round after the build up begins the round can be cemented into the chamber when the good dries.  This doesn't get to this point ofte=n but any more than one steel case round begins a build up with each shell.  Also there is little other than MEK or Lacquer that can efficiently and completely remove this lacquer coating from the chamber.  If you can get hold of the older steel cases that are copper washed they are fine as there is no coating that will melt at temps.  I shoot brass or in rare cases nickel plated.  There are downsides to nickel for shooting and also reloading but I shoot them so few times I do not worry.   

I shoot 9X19 Parabellums as well as 9X18 Makarov pistol rounds. 
Barking Dog Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra

Click for weather forecast

Offline Daniel Grant

• Grasshopper
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 10:49:17 PM »
Thank you all for the very interesting and informative responses. I ordered from Sportsman and they told me they did not give discounts on shipping of ammo...I thought they did if it was over a certain amount. Maybe I got the wrong clerk on the phone. Dan
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor

Online PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 07:26:06 AM »
Dan they do have free shipping sales every now and then on sales of $49 or more . They usually pop up about once a month but it might not coincide with the ammo sales .
"gene"

Offline newbie57

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 03:33:10 PM »
I asked the friend I went on halves with on a shipment from Sportsman Guide and we did pay shipping.

Buddy

Offline nuclearmac

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 07:19:35 PM »
  I do not shoot steel 223s because the steel is protected by a lacquer finish that begins to foul the chamber when the chamber is hot. If you shoot a lot and at a higher fire rate the rounds will begin to not chamber properly.  If you shoot a lot and then chamber a round after the build up begins the round can be cemented into the chamber when the good dries.  This doesn't get to this point ofte=n but any more than one steel case round begins a build up with each shell.  Also there is little other than MEK or Lacquer that can efficiently and completely remove this lacquer coating from the chamber.  If you can get hold of the older steel cases that are copper washed they are fine as there is no coating that will melt at temps.  I shoot brass or in rare cases nickel plated.  There are downsides to nickel for shooting and also reloading but I shoot them so few times I do not worry.   

I shoot 9X19 Parabellums as well as 9X18 Makarov pistol rounds.
      tbird ..when you sat older steels that are copper washed , how do you tell.. I  bought a 1000 rounds about 8 years ago. have not shot many   so far, kind of stock piled..  didn't know of the lacquer...