Author Topic: Board's Thoughts on the M&P 15 sport II  (Read 1228 times)

Offline LSU2001

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Board's Thoughts on the M&P 15 sport II
« on: August 30, 2016, 09:09:58 AM »
Good Morning everyone,
I just ordered my first AR-15 rifle.  I ordered the M&P 15 sport II.  It has really good reviews on Youtube and on gun forums.  My son built his AR and we have had such a fun time shooting it that I had to have one.  I didn't want to fool with a build for my first AR so I started looking and reading and learning.  Based on what I found the M&P Sport II is a good entry level AR with a simple setup and some good features for the money.  So anyway with all the gun enthusiasts on here I thought I would ask for your thoughts, critiques, etc.
Thanks,
Tim 
Cut Off, La. Zone 9
Kubota L3800
Polaris Ranger 400
Mahindra 2015
Troy Bilt Colt
Honda Rancher

Offline Digger66

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Board's Thoughts on the M&P 15 sport II
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 10:52:29 AM »
Hello, Tim

My neighbor has one and we have shot together many times. He has never had any trouble with the M&P at all. I have compared it to my SIG M400 heavy barrel and my Colt M4 6920. I will add that he has not had any issues with his M&P at all. The M&P is a good sound well made weapon for your first AR and will serve you well. I almost purchased one a few months ago, however I got a great buy on the colt at $200 less than the M&P. Maybe Tbird or others can give you a more technical response.
My only issue with any of my AR's is keeping magazines full.

Bill

North Central Florida, 8,000 sq. ft. no till Back to Eden Garden. Equipment: One Heron, One Honey Bee, one garden Rake and one rusting tiller.
Retired and enjoying the good life. Married to a wonderful woman. Zone 8b/9a

Offline thebayougardener

• "Keep it Simple" - "Less is More"
  • Administrator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • The Bayou Gardener
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 12:27:10 PM »
I like the looks of the M&P 15.  I think you’ll enjoy shooting that weapon, buy plenty bullets.

Donald
Located on the banks of Bayou des Glaises - Louisiana  Zone 8

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

http://www.thebayougardener.com

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 10:45:59 PM »
  The M&P 15 is a sound dependable rifle.  It is well made and holds its' resale value well. 

Building is a personal thing that some do and some don't.  I happen to be one that does and I do it to save a few bucks and I enjoy it.  I have not found a custom build that could not be found somewhere already put together.   ;)
Barking Dog Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra

Click for weather forecast

Offline LSU2001

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 06:45:07 AM »
Well, I finally got the gun and the first thing I did was break it down and clean it well.  Then I lubed it up and went to the back of my place to shoot.  I must say that it is a sweet shooting little gun and packs quite a punch.  I am very satisfied with the quality and feel of the rifle.  It sure is fun to run a few rounds through it even though I was just target shooting.  The main reason I got the rifle, other than just fun, is I have been seeing quite a few coyotes crossing my place.  They are always about 200 yards away and I didnt have a gun that would reach them.  I figure once I get this one dialed in and get used to shooting it they are gonna be in trouble.  I was able to pick up a box of 55 grain soft points in .223 so I figure that will ruin a coyotes day if I can get a shot.
Tim
Cut Off, La. Zone 9
Kubota L3800
Polaris Ranger 400
Mahindra 2015
Troy Bilt Colt
Honda Rancher

Offline Okie Bob

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 08:29:28 AM »
Tim, I just ran across this thread you started and it reminded me of an option you might look into that adds another dimension for your AR shooting fun. It turns your AR into full auto and is perfectly legal and looks to be an easy add on and costs around $300 if memory serves. It's called something like a bump-stock or something like that. There are some youtube vids you might like to watch.
Only problem with it is you would probably want to start reloading your own ammo cause you going to go thru rounds pretty quick!
I'll see if I can find the website, I think I marked it. Then i'll share it with you.
I'm Sooner born and Sooner Bred and when I die I'll be Sooner dead!
PROUD CHICKASAW, NATIVE AMERICAN
25 acres of Oklahoma dirt JD 4420 with a bunch of attachments.

Offline Okie Bob

• Sprout
    • View Profile
I'm Sooner born and Sooner Bred and when I die I'll be Sooner dead!
PROUD CHICKASAW, NATIVE AMERICAN
25 acres of Oklahoma dirt JD 4420 with a bunch of attachments.

Offline 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 08:28:02 PM »
Hey BOB, thanks for posting that!I haven't seen that before. That's pretty slick.
Has anyone out there used one of these? I ask because it states you need to order a left-hand stock if you are a lefty.I just wonder if it can even be operated by someone that shoulders their weapon from the opposite side?
Wade
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!