Author Topic: Now you can own the same rifle you carried in the military (almost)  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Digger66

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Now you can own the same rifle you carried in the military (almost)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 07:47:37 AM »
For us old timers, well at least for me, what we had on board ship was 1911 45ACP, M1 Garand, and a few Thompson 45 ACP.  The M16 had not reached our armory yet. That changed in 1968 when they upgraded our hand weapons and three months later I was a civilian again. Never got to shoot the M16.

Bill
North Central Florida, 8,000 sq. ft. no till Back to Eden Garden. Equipment: One Heron, One Honey Bee, one garden Rake and one rusting tiller.
Retired and enjoying the good life. Married to a wonderful woman. Zone 8b/9a

Online DB

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 11:47:43 AM »
I am with Digger 66. When I went to basic training, the M1 was the weapon issued, and later I got to fire the M 14. I also have never fired an M 16.
Latimer, Mississippi
Zone 8b

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 01:23:36 PM »
My first weapon after joining the Guard was the M1, we learned to take it apart & reassembly with a blindfold. My second weapon was the M1 carbine. That is the weapon I trained with in 1956 using the bayonet for riot control.  Those bayonets were slightly awkward to get onto the carbine. I range fired & got my marksman medal on both these weapons. I am thankful that I never had to jerk that bayonet off a field pack, snap it on the carbine & face a mob.

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline LAFarm

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 07:31:07 PM »
Several years ago, I was able to purchase an M1 Carbine for my Dad.  He served during the Korean Conflict in a howitzer unit.  When I presented it to him, his face lit up and told us that he used to sleep with one just like it, except his would fire full auto if he wanted.  That night, Mom said he completely disassembled it on their kitchen table, wiped and oiled everything up then reassembled it.  He told her that it was the first time he had held one since being discharged from the service in the early fifties.  I also had a 1911 45 that I had brought along just to see if he would be interested in one of them.  He quickly disassembled and reassembled it, smiled and said he could do them both blindfolded when he was in the Army.  I offered him the pistol as well, but he said he only wanted the carbine.  One of his high school friends who was in the military firearms trade got him the sling, cleaning kit and the bayonet for it.  He is 86 now and still keeps that carbine close by to "take care of things" on the farm!!   
Farming in West Central Louisiana using an International Cub w/planter, fertilizer and cultivators, an Estwing claw hammer... plus some assorted support equipment...

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 02:58:58 PM »
I love my Rock-Ola M-1 carbine.  Great shooter and excellent close combat rifle.  Short, light, easy to carry and easy to swing.  Not a lot of firepower, but at close range it is good enough.  The AR platforms I have had and currently have are excellent weapons.  My first was a version built with the original Mil parts on a civilian receiver.  No forward assist, triangle grips, awful flip up sights and not a lot of frills.  It was still a good shooter.   I sold it to a postman.   ;)

My second AR was a flat top, E2 forward grips, trapdoor stock and better E2 clip on sights.  Nice weapon.  The newer versions are more modern and lots of thingies like Picatinny rails, laser sights, red dot sights, flashlight and night vision when needed.  Much more effective weapon regardless of what it is used for. 

Barking Dog Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra

Click for weather forecast