Author Topic: Cheese  (Read 1223 times)

Offline The Country Toad

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Cheese
« on: September 11, 2016, 08:09:48 AM »
whos making cheese?     researching and learning.   ive built my press and trying to work out where to store em    thanx!
Not a big difference between a green thumb and a sore back......    ROLL TIDE!

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
Re: Cheese
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 10:03:13 AM »
What sort of cheese are you thinking of?  I a big fan of all cheeses but have never made any, so I will follow this tread closely. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 12:31:34 PM »
I think Roy (reartinetiller) and tbird on here are past or maybe present cheese makers. They had a cheese thread on the old board.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline Davidx357

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 02:19:35 PM »
I have made cottage cheese from sour milk. It was pretty easy.  Did it off directions I found on the internet.  Came out pretty good.

Offline The Country Toad

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 03:44:20 PM »
What sort of cheese are you thinking of?  I a big fan of all cheeses but have never made any, so I will follow this tread closely.

mainly cheddar and other hard cheeses.  made mozz before an its not hard.   i think i have the patience to wait for a cheddar.

Offline tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
  • Hillbilly Gardener, amongst many other things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 10:47:49 AM »
I used to make cheese, mostly hard cheeses though because I am not a huge fan of mozzarella or ricotta and cottage cheese is just nasty to me.  The hardest part to me was the making sure it was aged in the right environment. Once you get that down it's not too tough you just have to be meticulous and not skip steps.  Also around where I am it is next to impossible to get a good source of raw milk. There are places that have cow shares and all but they are just a bit too proud of them IMHO. What you get vs. what you pay for doesn't even come close to being fair...again MHO. Using store bought milk just doesn't make very good cheese as far as I can tell either.
Crack O' Noon Farms.
In the Mountains of Old Virginia.
Proud Appalachian-American.

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 10:38:42 PM »
  I make most of my cheeses in winter when I am house bound.  I do make Creole Cream Cheese regularly though since I have eaten it most of my life and the old style can no longer be found.  I also make cottage cheese, cheddar, Colby, ricotta, yogurt, emmantaler (Swiss style cheeses) and American Cheese.  At first it is a bit hard to get used to but after a while you get used to dealing with the curd and then it is much simpler.   ;)
Barking Dog Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra

Click for weather forecast

Offline The Country Toad

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 08:20:41 AM »
ty so much for the replies all!!!!     tbird...  what sorta storage do you use for the cave?   wine chiller?   do you wax all your harder cheeses?  store bought milk or mild pasteurized fresh milk?   
ty again all!