Author Topic: Any suggestions for a quiet air rifle?  (Read 3165 times)

Online Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Any suggestions for a quiet air rifle?
« on: September 26, 2016, 05:02:48 PM »
I have a problem with "flying Rats" that is Mynor birds that destroy & crap on everything, as well as being professional break in artists for garages & sheds etc. Could any member suggest a low noise air rifle that may be available in Australia. Thanks
Life is like a roll of toilet paper, The closer you get to the end the faster it goes, So don't waste any of it!!

Online whiskydog

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Dallas Ga.
    • View Profile
Re: Any suggestions for a quiet air rifle?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 06:56:23 PM »
Welcome to the forum Tazzy.

I am still shooting the gun Dad gave me when I turned 14, I'm 66 now.. A Sheridan Blue Streak.
Crossman makes something along those lines now days..  so if you want a gun to pass down I can
say mine has been a good one..
However there are many newer rifles and improvements made.  This link has a lot of air guns that you may look over.  http://www.pyramydair.com/air-guns
If I'm not having problems,, I'm not doing it right..

Zone 7 Northwest Ga.

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 08:30:24 PM »
Welcome to the forum Tazzy. Whiskeydog has some sage advice. I have a Benjamin .22 cal pellet gun that is 50 yrs old. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one today. With all of that said , if you have deep pockets you can get some rifle type accuracy but it can cost a grand or better. If you just want to get rid of the tree rats, a gammo, crossman, Benjamin or Sheridan will do the job.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 10:00:18 PM »
I vote for the sheridan too. I had one growing up and put many meals on the table as a kid. I hunted with a friend that used a benjamin and I can say from experience that the sheridan pellets are shaped different and has a better kill rate. I wish I still had that gun but I gave it to my younger brother when I joined the Navy and he traded it, probably for some cheap speakers or something.

With all that said I think you can get by with a cheaper 1 pump action pellet rifle if your at short range. Here's the cheapest, bestest thing that will kill squirrels and I've used it a few times for that purpose.
Gamo Whisper Silent Cat Air Rifle
This is the cheapest price I found. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024XEXQS/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0024XEXQS&linkCode=as2&tag=airriflhub-20&linkId=SGPHKL5FERWDXN5D

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 11:09:12 PM »
Early this year I found and bought a 22 cal. Benjamin Trail NP at a pawn shop and basically got it for 1/2 price.  Its a break barrel rifle so its slow to repeat, and the cocking effort is high, but it hits hard.  I will say that the factory trigger is junk, but can be improved with a $6 bearing.  It is quite enough that I would feel comfortable shooting it in an urban area.  There are lots of air rifle reviews on youtube, and hunting videos. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Online Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 05:22:09 AM »
Thank you to" One & All !',  I have not shot anything since the early 70's & all  these replies, with your recommendations will be investigated. I am currently applying to the state government  for a shooters  licence, as  down here in Australia,  without  the licence any firearms purchase is prohibited .
                                                                                                               Regards Pete
Life is like a roll of toilet paper, The closer you get to the end the faster it goes, So don't waste any of it!!

Online Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Any suggestions for a quiet air rifle? Update on Progress
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 09:23:55 AM »
G'day All, I have just, after waiting an eternity, completed & Passed the Mandatory &  very expensive ($300 ) ! full day, firearms Education course to get my firearms license. It cost over $150 to apply to get the bloody thing in the  first place, & on top of that now, I have to wait a maximum further 28 days to receive notification to collect my license, & only then when I have a shooters license  number , May I then apply for a permit to buy an air rifle or weapon covered by that  category of license  Then its another $25 bucks for that privilege. This permit is for one rifle only & if I want to buy two I must buy another $25  permit for each & every firearm.Once the permit to purchase is issued  the Police firearms division is notified & come out to inspect your storage safe to ensure compliance.You must  then search out & see a local gun dealer to buy the weapon of choice ( which is fairly restricted) & pay for the gun & the dealers charges to fill in the paper work to notify the government of the guns registration number & transfer of ownership    into your name Etc . If you wish to purchase a Gun, privately, it has to be done through a registered gun dealer as it is illegal to purchase outside the system with all the associated extra charges to sell & purchase under this system.  To my American Fellow members, Please Do not loose your right to bare arms as we here in Australia "potentially"  have by exorbitant costs & restrictions  . The only people penalized are the law abiding ones ,& this has been  proven last week in Melbourne when A Greek Nut who should have been behind bars, was let out on parole by an idiot Magistrate.His car was then used to murder Citizens & their baby's in the street just minding their own business, by running them down .This was complbastards never reoffend ed  as effectively as Martin Bryant, did here in Tasmania at the  Port Arthur.historic site..30 odd Aussies & Friends My suggestion to try  ie execute the offenders\\the never REoffend                                                                      Regards Pete, then-saga continues

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 09:45:59 AM »
Wow an that is why many of us in the USA feel so strongly about our Second Amendment.  Were gun rights ever similar to ours on OZ?   
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 09:50:11 AM »
I forgot to ask the most important question, an that is have you decided on what gun you want to purchase for your tree rat problem? 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 03:16:58 PM »
Sounds like we need to send Quigley back down under for a decade or so!LOL!
I shoot the Diana 34. It's an entry level German manufacturer.High quality.It feels like a firearm and not a toy.

There is a lot of talk about Hatson from Turkey.They are supposed to be well made. Of course, I'm only talking springer guns.If you want to get serious about power look at the PCP's. The innovations from that side are so fast I can't keep up.
back to springers, a lot of people like what Mike Melick over at Flying Dragon is doing with Chinese airguns. I don't remember the name but he imports them then rebuilds them the way I understand it. I have bought parts from him before. A real nice guy.There is also a lot of talk about the NP Trail.A lot of people seem to like them.Check out these links. Best I can do!
Wade

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537

http://www.network54.com/Forum/184474

http://www.diana-airguns.de/index.php?id=2&L=0&width=1067&height=600

http://flyingdragonairrifles.org/
wade
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!

Online Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 05:12:05 PM »
G'day All ,
The gun I would like to purchase is a Weihrauch hw  77, because it has the same mechanism as the hw 97 ,Is powerful enough & is an underlever springer which I hope will maintain its accuracy because you don't have  to break the barrel. These are German built & supposed to be reasonably quiet & very accurate with a middle of the road price. I did look at the Galatian mk4, Wade, but the noise level is far greater, unsuppressed , We are not allowed to own a silencer, or possess a shrouded or suppressed firearm in any way shape or form without prior  Government permission, which is very expensive & never granted., The stupid part is the Laws are to the ridiculous stage & as I said previously ,Criminals are no respecters of the law & will get a gun  on the Black market or use a car or some other means to carry out their plans. (THANK YOU MARTIN BRYANT) Can you imagine the uproar if the govt tried to regulate  with the motor vehicles the same as they have with the firearms. The Kiwi's have a simpler system & to all extents & purposes are one of the safest nations on the planet with there gun related incidents. If you get a chance & feel so inclined have a look at Tasmanian Gun laws. These vary from state to state in Australia & are completely disjointed & extremely restrictive, with the lawmakers changing laws whilly nilly, on a whim, under the guise of protecting the citizens. Will this stop the CRIMINALS? So endeth todays sermon as the cherries await picking.
                                                                                                         Regards Pete

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 05:59:56 PM »
You've made a great choice with the Weihrauch hw  77! The only negative I've heard of them is their weight!Personally, I'd love to have the hw57.It's a miniature of the 77 but has the pop-up breach which people seem to have a problem with.I like the lighter weight and being an underlever. The problem is they have not been imported to the USA! Canada does have them but in my searches, I couldn't connect with one at the right price.They make a power spring for them to get around the restrictions.
Later,
Wade

Online Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 06:29:41 PM »
Thanks  for your reply ,Wade, The HW77 is heavy compared to most air rifles but I believe this may be  an advantage as springers do have a savage recoil if not treated correctly, I thought if I use sand bags in a hide situation  & also in the field i would use shooting sticks  in conjunction with the artillery hold  it may not be as big an issue. I am shooting to reduce unwanted varmint  activity in a rural situation, IE  rabbits ,rats ,starlings, mynors, Corvids , Etc. I will look into the power spring , this tip you mentioned may be advantageous as a .22 cal  with a reasonable grain weight will definitely reduce the fps muzzle velocity .
 Regards Pete

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 07:13:12 PM »
I don't know if the power spring is available for the hw77. It is for the HW 57.The only wat I found it was on the "chambers" diagrams out of England where they are limited to 12 julio.Good luck with it.
Wade

Online Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 06:57:18 AM »
G'day All, Air Rifle Update
The decision has been made & I have placed a holding deposit on a Weihrauch HW 77 .  in .22 cal . The Tasmanian government has still not sent me  my notice to have my photo I.D taken to get the licence made, Though The Tech college  has sent me a certificate for the successful completion of the firearms course on January 19th. And So , Because of this I can't apply to purchase this firearm yet,  because I don't possess the licence number for a registration, after that comes, I may place  an application to purchase, Once this is submitted & after a period of a  minimum 28 days  a certificate to purchase may be issued after yet another fee.( By the way you must give good reason to be granted permission to buy an air gun) after paying $160 bucks for the licence , $300 bucks for the course, which if you fail any of the 4 exams or the range skills practical exam they knock you back to pay yet  another fee To redo the course .Now apart from having a gun safe fitted that requires a police inspection & approval before An air rifle or any gun for that matter can be got. If you have 10 firearms, (which require 10 separate applications & fees) in the safe  or one hand gun (.You are not allowed to purchase ammunition or  pellets without the firearms licence or inspected safe as well  ) There must now be a video camera fitted viewing the area where the safe is  (Preferably alarmed )  & recording 24/7 with the recorder in a separate non attached area. I guess all I am saying to anyone who has RIGHTS left , protect them & don't let them go the Australian way where you are a criminal if you want a gun.
                                                                                     Regards Pete

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 08:29:00 AM »
Thanks for the update Pete! I can't imagine having to go through all that for any gun let alone an air rifle! I think f it were me I would revert back to traditional archery!But then again I would imagine you may have many more restrictions on archery than we are used to!

Let us know when you get everything settled and can actually get the gun.
Wade

Online Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 11:55:12 PM »
G'day Wade,
 I'LL KEEP YOU INFORMED OF THE ONGOING SAGA OF THE RIFLE!    (   oops the blessed  caps lock was locked  on ( bloody pensioners ) I could not hit the board side of a barn with an arrow  & I have no idea what restrictions are on those ,but ', I will investigate out of curiosity & let you know so you can be amazed too>

Regards Pete

P/S    All these restrictions are a knee jerk leftover from the Port Arthur Massacre committed by that  nutter , Martin Bryant, who the coppers should have shot.

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 08:10:11 AM »
I have spent a lot of time studying Howard Hill. A traditional archer. Known as the "only person to ever dominate their sport from beginning to end"! He shot 192 national matches without a loss.Anyway, his instructions on how to learn to shoot traditional archery." it's just like learning to throw a ball!Start out close and you will automatically learn how hard and at what angle to throw the ball to get it where you want it."He suggests"set up a hay bale for an arrow stop and put a very small target(dime size) on it. Stand 3 feet away and shoot untill you can hit the target every shot.Then take one step back and do it all over again until you will be able to hit the target at any range between where you started and ended." he also suggests you can shoot any bow accurately after the first shot.And after missing a practice session, start back at the beginning, shooting each distance until you hit the target.

Try it! You just may get addicted!
Wade

Online Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 06:00:58 PM »
G'day Wade,
Thanks for the tips on how to begin using the bow my son got me years ago. That's how I knew I could not hit the broad side of a barn ,as well as attempting to peel the skin off the inside of my left arm on the first attempt, all i achieved was humor & pain. I will man up & have another go at the target  system as you suggested.
                                                                                                       Regards Pete

Offline Okie Bob

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 08:22:46 AM »
Hey guys, I've been following along with your posts and especially the restrictions placed on you mates down under. What can I say, we likely would have been facing something similar had the Donald not gotten elected.
But, then you got into archery, a new toy for me. I've been trying to get back to my India roots and found an old Indian that makes primitive bows, arrows, blow guns, knives, etc and become friends with him. I bought one of his bows made from Boi'dark or how ever you spell it. It measured 60 pound pull which is plenty for an old guy like me and Oklahoma requires a minimum pull of 40 pounds to hunt with.
Wade I like your comments on learning how to shoot. I did have a set up for rifle and pistol shooting out back and just moved up closer to the hay bales and now know I started out two far back at 20 paces. I can hit the bale but, not even close to the target and plan to start over again at 3' to begin as you suggest. I wish I could take a good picture of one of my mentors arrows, they are a work of art and completely hand made like our ancestors made them.
I'm Sooner born and Sooner Bred and when I die I'll be Sooner dead!
PROUD CHICKASAW, NATIVE AMERICAN
25 acres of Oklahoma dirt JD 4420 with a bunch of attachments.