Author Topic: LOOKING FOR SASSAFRAS TREES/SEEDLINGS  (Read 675 times)

Online BEEMAN

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
LOOKING FOR SASSAFRAS TREES/SEEDLINGS
« on: October 01, 2016, 06:08:48 PM »
Would anyone have any sassafras trees/seedlings that they could spare. I am looking to replace a tree that one of my good friends who passed away a number of years ago planted on his property. He used it to supply fili' to many people while he was alive and now his daughter is continuing the process but the tree is on it last leg. If anyone has any extras they can spare, please contact me.

BEEMAN
Help save the bees. They help feed us. Call a beekeeper.

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
Re: LOOKING FOR SASSAFRAS TREES/SEEDLINGS
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 09:21:55 PM »
Beeman I don't have any here on the farm, but I can tell you that they are fairly hard to transplant.  My last home needed some landscaping an I went to a farmer friend of mine an he used a backhoe to scoop up three nice size (1" to 1 1/2") sassafras trees and load them into my pickup.  There were two in one scoop and a single.  The single didn't survive but the others did.  There are no perfect trees, as they all have something undesirable, but I really liked having those trees in my front yard, and if i ever own real estate again I would seek out sassafras trees again.  Good luck on your search. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
Re: LOOKING FOR SASSAFRAS TREES/SEEDLINGS
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 08:20:06 AM »
They are hard to transplant due to a deep tap root.  I have some on our place but have been unable to successfully transplant any yet.
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN