Author Topic: New Homestead part next.  (Read 57026 times)

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
New Homestead part next.
« on: January 19, 2016, 07:25:25 PM »
For those that did not see the first post, I was born and razed in the town of Port Barre,La, after 8 years in the Submarine force I lived and started a trucking company in Jacksonville, FL... 14 years later I retired and will be moving back to LA to a small town called Waggaman on the Westbank of New Orleans..the following is the flow, so to speak...

Not sure where I left off but i'll post up 2 pictures from Dec 11 and 12th and then bring everyone up to speed... lots going on and happening both slow and quick...

This was my office  the last day at work.. they tore it up but it was a great group  of people and at this point I miss them.

The next pic was at the party,, Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys was the band,,,,,,not much to say about that but the fact that they came all the way from Big Mamou to St, Augustine FL to play for my party was pretty special....

I'll try to post each night to bring everyone up to speed on what'ssss going on ..... by the way.. good to be back....

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 07:33:12 PM by Zook »

Offline Kyosa

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: New Homestead part next.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 08:32:48 PM »
Glad you're back Zook.  If I remember correctly it was you who had the post(s) with lots of pics of your work preparing a piece of ground for you and (I think) your son or daughter to build on.  Lots of pics of a very large pond and it's construction.  Even a view from the air.  If I'm referring to the correct post, by all means pick up the thread where you left off and continue it.  It was very interesting and informative.

Darryl

PS,
7 months, 22 days till I'm paroled from work.

Online Boudreaux in Eunice La.

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 11:03:04 PM »
Wow you IMPORTED Steve all the way to Florida. DAT cost you a pocket full of Jingle LOL.

I get to see him play in 2 weeks for FREEEEE. As always for Mardi Gras in Eunice ~!~!~!
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Click for weather forecast

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 11:04:21 PM »
Oops Wayne Toups and a lot of the other top Cajun bands also. ~!~!
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 07:20:38 AM »
Wow you IMPORTED Steve all the way to Florida. DAT cost you a pocket full of Jingle LOL.

I get to see him play in 2 weeks for FREEEEE. As always for Mardi Gras in Eunice ~!~!~!

Not only Steve but all of the Playboys as well, got some one on one time with him,, nice guy.. also had about 20 of my family members flown in, Mom, brother, sisters, kids all a surprise to me...

The first thing I to do at the land was build a road to the shop area,, so I had to bring my tractor and all tools, lucky I have a friend with a horse ranch and a big truck and trailer,, this has to be about as close to a Cadillac as Ford can come. nice trip and was safe...

Offline Timber

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 09:14:49 AM »
I'm tuned in- can't wait to see your progress....
FISH SHAK FARMS IN SOUTHEAST MO.....4 acres of aggravation to my neighbors!!!  Haha

Offline Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 04:43:08 PM »

I will be waiting right here for your next update.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline bigboberta

• Grasshopper
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 06:00:12 PM »
Good to see you back.

Bob
Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 07:14:42 PM »
Speaking of Steve and since  this is Mardi Gras Season, Here is a good song For ya'll ~!~!

https://youtu.be/qkeItBFsnXo

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 08:03:56 AM »
Ok enough with the fun stuff and time to get to work doing more fun stuff... one of the first things I did was cut back my asparagus patch, it will still need some bags of black cow but its just to wet...blue berry bushes are looking good.. I do have a helper  that stays on the property (besides the gator), he don't talk much but seams to be a  bit friendly for a "wild hair"... did I say it was wet.. this clay sticks to anything and everything, poor little tractor....

I'll post the progress on the shop this afternoon..

Offline MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 08:22:31 AM »
I am constantly amazed at how much work the L3200 can do.  I can't imagine getting our place in order without it..
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Offline Timber

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 08:36:34 AM »
Got yer name on yer tractor.....lol
What a redneck
Be like writing yer name on yer fishing pole!! Hahah
FISH SHAK FARMS IN SOUTHEAST MO.....4 acres of aggravation to my neighbors!!!  Haha

Offline Greg

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 5b - Pierce Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 09:41:50 AM »
Aright be honest, how many of you saw the rabbit picture and you heard a "POW!" go off in your head. Same noise I say under my breath when ever I see a flock of geese fly over, "Pow Pow Pow!" My wife is like "stop it!"

I like your name on the tractor that's awesome!
LS XJ2025 25hp Tractor - FEL, middle buster, row hippers and a rototiller - 1.1 acres, Pierce, Colorado

Offline Lost in Lebeau

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 11:09:00 AM »
Aright be honest, how many of you saw the rabbit picture and you heard a "POW!" go off in your head. Same noise I say under my breath when ever I see a flock of geese fly over, "Pow Pow Pow!" My wife is like "stop it!"

I like your name on the tractor that's awesome!

I immediately felt the urge to dice an onion and some garlic.....
Shane
45 acres in the metropolis of Lebeau, LA (Latest Census recorded a whopping 110 residents!). Zone 9

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 05:56:24 PM »
Y'all keep laughing at me ;D putting my name on stuff,, and Timber i'm Coonass not Redneck, ::)lol...

Mike the L3200 is amazing but the star of this show has been the BX2660,, I'll be posting the work that little guy has done shortly and it has shocked me once I put pen to paper and added it up yesterday...

I'll down load some more pics and try to get caught up to what and where I am as we speak, things are going together fast its hard to keep up....
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 07:25:14 PM by Zook »

Offline Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 06:18:19 PM »
Please remember to keep snapping pictures of the progress.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 07:23:52 PM »
ok we going to talk pond, If you guys remember it started with just a hole, then it ended up 19' deep in spots with most of it 10' with a 3' shelf all around.. well let me tell you something, its FULL...the drain pipe keeps the level perfect it should stay this level with out any issue.. this picture was just after a hard rain and the water in the ditch did not allow the pond to drain to the level of the pipe... it was a bit over at this point but it drains to the top fast... picture would not load..
Dunn's fish farm came in from OK with my fish, again photobucket is not working but the fish came in from truck to bucket, to pond,, they took the time to get pond water into the buckets to get the fish happy before setting them free...

We got 100 Florida black bass, large mouth, (you hear that Timber!) 300 blue gill, 50 Red ears, 300 crappie, or sack-a-lay,,, 900 minnow, and 300 catfish,, inventory now tells me I only have 299 catfish,, one got killed but only 1/2 eaten, by what I'm not sure..

Next comes ditches, water and forming up the shop.....
[/URL
[URL=http://s225.photobucket.com/user/zook_photos/media/Bayou%20Gardner/IMG_04591_zpsv6gzwlas.jpg.html]

Offline Timber

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 04:36:25 AM »
Coulda been anything eat that cat but I'd keep an eye out for otter and put a stop to it right quick.  Man'O'man that is lookin nice ZOOK -- that pond is gonna be paying ya back for your hard work!!
Keep the pics comming- love'em
That's a big feesh truck too!!

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 08:08:16 AM »
Little step back and back in time,, my buddy that did the pond and all the dirt work did a awesome job with out a doubt.. but after a year of sitting some of the pad and land settled into some of the slews that ran threw the property.. that left some standing water and with it being that clay, it would just sit there and make the first 2" slick like snot..
Back in the late 70's Yanmar imported little tractors that where not "gray market" at the time but new.. we had one and had a little ditching machine custom made for it.. Donald posted a video of Paul using one kind of like it not to long ago... anyway, we sold every thing way back when,, since I'm from a small town and everyone knows everyone, I was able to locate the people that bought the equipment way back when thinking maybe the frame of the little machine was still around and I could get it and maybe rebuild it.. well, not only did they still have it, they was still using it..statement to how stuff was build back then..
So I started hunting for one.. found one that may have fit what I was looking for selling for about $2,300 new..by dumb luck I was taking to my farming buddy about getting some crawfish for my pond and machines came up and low and behold, he had one that his Dad had gotten new some 60+ years ago that he sold to me for $500. It's an Amco brand and still had paint on it, lol..
Now I've spent many a hours in front of one of these machines growing up and let me tell you something, it brought back lots of memories and none of them was good,lol that was and still is a dirty job.. It's also made to make ditches  when its dry before it rains, not to cut ditches in the mud with standing water, but I gave it hell,,, will have to go back and fill in ruts, level it off and cut them again once it is dry...
Enjoy, form boards tonight...

Offline Greg

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 5b - Pierce Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2016, 08:36:19 AM »
Your pond just brings tears to my eyes. Really really nice.

I'd probably throw some trees into a couple locations in it. If you haven't already. Those minnows won't last long with out some cover.

As far as that catfish goes...
A hawk would have carried it off. A coon could have caught it in the shallows at night and they tend to leave whatever they don't eat. My money is on a coon.

Might want to consider not putting any more catfish in there. Over time they will take over and ruin the spawning and nesting areas of the other fish especially bass. And once they reach around 4lbs they get really aggressive toward the other fish.

In my youth I helped clear a couple ponds of cats that had been taken over. Now don't get me wrong, they're good eating of course. But I like bass, crappie, and blue gill much more. Nothing worse than going down to the pond for a quiet bit of fishing, casting your favorite spinner bait (it's the one with the white skirt and the double silver blades) and having a 5lb catfish try to swallow it.

Now you have to deal with this thrashing demon with the spikes... *sigh - I digress....

Greg

LS XJ2025 25hp Tractor - FEL, middle buster, row hippers and a rototiller - 1.1 acres, Pierce, Colorado