Author Topic: Vacation  (Read 897 times)

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
Vacation
« on: October 12, 2016, 09:10:00 PM »
I just returned from a week long trip to northern New Mexico and Colorado. I have a friend that I have been going there with for many years and it was a blast. One of the highlights is to shoot at the NRA Whittington Center near Raton. There are rifle, pistol, black powder and shotgun ranges ( skeet, trap, sporting clays ). I love to shoot long range and the silhouette range is exceptional. They are positioned at 219 yds all the way to 547 yds. The best part for me is the white buffalo on the side of the mountain at 1,123 yds. I had a miss that was short on my first shot there after working out through the silhouettes and then had six hits out of six shots on the buffalo.  After I pull the trigger on the .308, I can remove my ear plug and it takes three seconds to hit the steel at that distance.

After that, we shot the .338 Lapua Magnum at the gong made out of AR 500. It is awfully fun to hit the gong and hear the ding at long distances. I would like to find a place to shoot it at a mile. Here are a few pics of the day. It was a shooters dream there with cool temps and no humidity.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 09:13:12 PM by Double B »
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
Re: Vacation
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 07:23:47 AM »
Sounds like fun!
 Not in the same league as what you were doing but I used to enjoy shooting trap. Did it every Sunday for a several years.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 12:18:40 PM »
It was a blast Maggie.

I don't shoot much trap but I do shoot sporting clays. Our National Sporting Clays Championship is about two weeks away. I am in th Master Class and therefore have to compete with the Professional shooters ( PSCA ) and two thousand othe shooters. It will be fun but don't look for my name at the top of the list ;)
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline Digger66

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 07:45:10 AM »
Double B looks like a great time, hope to make it out to the NRA range some day before Hillary closes down everything and takes our rights away from us. What is the rifle make in the photo?
In the 70's and 80's I shot a lot of Trap, 4 to 5 times a week. Then I transferred South from Indiana and the available trap ranges just seemed to dry up as I lived far away from the closest range. I did shoot at the National Trap Championships in Ohio twice. Like you, my name never made it to the champion ship round,  but it sure was a lot of fun.
Thanks for sharing your photo's

Bill
North Central Florida, 8,000 sq. ft. no till Back to Eden Garden. Equipment: One Heron, One Honey Bee, one garden Rake and one rusting tiller.
Retired and enjoying the good life. Married to a wonderful woman. Zone 8b/9a

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 08:36:48 AM »
Bill,

The rifle in the picture is an FN Herstal. It is bedded in a McMillian A-5 stock and topped with a Nightforce 3.5 X 15 X 50 F1 scope. The barrel is fluted and even with heavy shooting the barrel stays really cool especially up there where there is low humidity and cooler temperatures.

The other rifle we call "thumper" is a Savage chambered in a .338 Lapua Magnum. It is bedded in an HS Precision stock topped off with a Nightforce 5 X 25 X 50 scope. Lots of fun to shoot too but it runs about $5.00 each time you pull the trigger.  :o :o :o