Author Topic: rose pruning time  (Read 2208 times)

Offline AndrewT

• Grasshopper
  • Sweet Lake / South Lake Charles, LA Zone 9A
    • View Profile
rose pruning time
« on: January 19, 2016, 08:56:41 PM »
Behind weeding(vegetable garden or otherwise), pruning roses has to be the next biggest gardening pita. The only thing good about it is that the heaviest pruning is needed in the winter when its not 95F outside. I pruned them back yesterday then hauled off the carnage this morning then finished adding mulch.

Offline OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: rose pruning time
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 06:15:08 PM »
You definitely gave them a good haircut.  LOL.  I did the same last weekend, but I only had 3 bushes to take care of.  One of these days I'm going to have to get a pair of heavy leather gloves to wear for the process.  I typically go "bare handed" and wind up pincushioning myself with some of the thorns...... :P
Location: Orange, Tx; Southeast Gulf Coast, zone 9a.  Small home garden.

Offline AndrewT

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 09:13:06 AM »
Yeah I probably hack them back harder than I have too, but there are a couple that aren't as vigorous so I try to get them to the same height or at least closer to.

And I am in the same boat with the gloves. I have some rubber and mesh gardening gloves, but that only stops most of the thorns. I still get stuck and have to dig out a few thorn tips. I need to get me some leather ones too.

You definitely gave them a good haircut.  LOL.  I did the same last weekend, but I only had 3 bushes to take care of.  One of these days I'm going to have to get a pair of heavy leather gloves to wear for the process.  I typically go "bare handed" and wind up pincushioning myself with some of the thorns...... :P

Online MudHog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 08:05:52 PM »
I hoping to trim mine this weekend.
New Iberia, LA - Zone 9a

Offline Big Frog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 10:32:34 PM »
I trimmed my Knockout roses this week.  I always cut them back to the ground and then feed with triple 14 Osmocoat (slow release fertilizer.  They are loaded with blooms and grow back to a height of about 5 feet each year.

Offline Wosiewose

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 01:07:30 PM »
It'll be at least a month before it's safe to prune our roses here (the last two years we've had snow on Mothers' Day, which wrought havoc both times on everything green on our property).  But yesterday I noticed some green streaks beginning to appear on a couple of our bushes... I told them "not yet - there's a blizzard coming in a couple of days!!"   :o  At least, so the weather folks say.

Even the crocuses have not yet dared to poke up a shoot through the frozen ground yet... *sigh*  Good thing I have some bulbs in pots in the garage fridge and am starting to bring them in so they can do their thing in the window.  It helps get through the long winter months.

Wosiewose
Zone 5b, Wheat Ridge, CO
1/3 acre; John Deere 210; Planet Jr. wheel hoe; and of course the indispensable Hooke & Crooke Heron and Honeybee  :)
1 awesome hubby, 2 cute cuddly little black cats, and - in our first winter now - a hive of bees!

Online catgrass

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 09:51:15 AM »
Big Frog, you told me what I needed to know.  My son just bought a house that has two large Knockout's in the front ( personally, I don't like roses-too much trouble), and we trimmed them up some, but I was worried about cutting them way back because of their type. I have an oldtimey one and the only reason I do is because I dug it from my mother's house.  I cut it WAY back in Feb.  He also has a rose "tree", and we pretty much thinned it real well and cut the rose hips off.
Watch where you're going, not where you've been

Offline AndrewT

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 09:25:34 AM »
It'll be at least a month before it's safe to prune our roses here (the last two years we've had snow on Mothers' Day, which wrought havoc both times on everything green on our property).  But yesterday I noticed some green streaks beginning to appear on a couple of our bushes... I told them "not yet - there's a blizzard coming in a couple of days!!"   :o  At least, so the weather folks say.

Even the crocuses have not yet dared to poke up a shoot through the frozen ground yet... *sigh*  Good thing I have some bulbs in pots in the garage fridge and am starting to bring them in so they can do their thing in the window.  It helps get through the long winter months.

Wosiewose

Ouch snow in May. That would definitely shock everything here, especially since we are "lucky" to see a dusting once every few years. I do have the same problem with things trying to green up already though, way too early for that.

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 10:01:28 AM »
i have a rose related issue that i am hoping to get some help with.  when we first moved here there was an old brick patio behind the house.  the one corner and about 1/4 of the way down the side was overgrown with a huge holly bush. many prickles later, i got the holly bush cut down and the area cleaned up.  when i took out the holly, i found an old climbing rose entangled in the holly.  i kept the rose where it was and i put a little corner trellis on the corner. it did bounce back and live.

the problem i have is that the holly branches keep trying to come back up on the corner.  i cut them out, but i can't spray there without killing the rose as well.   i have tried mulching out the corner too but am afraid it will cause disease issues if i bury the entire bottom of the rose bush too.

any suggestions on how to get rid of the holly without killing the rose?
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Online catgrass

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 02:05:31 PM »
Get some stump and vine killer from a feed store.  Cut the holly as close to ground as you can and using a small paint brush, brush the killer on the cuts.  It may take several applications.
Watch where you're going, not where you've been

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 06:37:55 PM »
i will try this catgrass!  thanks for the idea!
Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song

Offline AndrewT

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 06:42:00 PM »
i agree with catgrass, thats probably you best bet.

i will try this catgrass!  thanks for the idea!

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 10:35:27 AM »
i have been keeping up with deadheading my double knock out roses this year and it really seems to be helping them.  i have already seen more blooming and growth. 

i know they say double knock out don't have to be deadheaded...but apparently they do.   i am seeing much better results this year with the deadheading than i did last year when i just let them do their thing.

Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song