Author Topic: Walmart selling canning jars  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Greg

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 5b - Pierce Colorado
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 08:58:42 AM by Greg »
LS XJ2025 25hp Tractor - FEL, middle buster, row hippers and a rototiller - 1.1 acres, Pierce, Colorado

Click for weather forecast

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
Re: Walmart selling canning jars
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 10:36:58 AM »
Krogers has Sure Jell on sale at $1.62 the other day, which is cheaper than their store brand. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Online bigboberta

• Grasshopper
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 11:37:13 AM »
I was buying my jars from Fred's  Super Dollar, but when I went to town yesterday they went out of business.  There is a Fred's Drug Store in another city close by, but I don't know if they carry the jars.  The dollar store was always cheaper than anyone else.  Going to have to check them out.  I found some Kerr wide mouth qts. last year for $5.00 doz. at the salvage store and bought 5 doz. but I don't use many quarts.

Bob
Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Online PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 05:00:40 AM »

If you have a better deal please post it.

-Greg

I bought most all of mine at yardsales/auctions over time never paying over 25 cent each for pints/quarts. I have some 2 quart and some gallon that I payed some more for. When I got to about 2600 I quit buying---I think there comes a point that you have to say "I have enough no matter the deal". If you do not go to yard sales find some one close by that does and get them to pick up what they find for you.

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 08:10:08 AM »
Wow PD,

2,600 jars?? That's a bunch!! I just bought another 125 pints form my wife's uncle who has gotten to the point where he doesn't have but a few tomato plants. At one time he and his wife did lots of canning but can't do it anymore. I also paid $.25 for these and they are in excellent shape.

Yard sales and the likes will get you a much better deal on jars than any store but make sure the rims are chip free.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline tuttimato

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 10:51:25 AM »
There are no used canning jars around here.  My next door neighbor goes far and wide to yard sales every Saturday and in three years has only been able to find me 3 quarts.  The old guy across the street goes to a big church with lots of elderly ladies and I also asked him to be on the lookout for me.  He agrees with me that they all used to have big gardens and can it up but they tell him they can't remember what happened to their jars.  I think they went to landfill years ago.
Try and you might, don't and you won't.

MS Gulf Coast, Zone 8b

Online PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 01:47:47 PM »
Wow PD,

2,600 jars?? That's a bunch!! I just bought another 125 pints form my wife's uncle who has gotten to the point where he doesn't have but a few tomato plants. At one time he and his wife did lots of canning but can't do it anymore. I also paid $.25 for these and they are in excellent shape.

Yard sales and the likes will get you a much better deal on jars than any store but make sure the rims are chip free.

25 cent is just a figure I decided I was not going to go over. Example--If I am at a Auction I try to count the jars x .25 for my Max bid. A lot of jars I have bought were less than 10 cent. A lot of them were in boxes, brand new with lids and I have payed $1 or $2 for the case.  Believe it or not, probably 2/3rds of my jars are in the original boxes-----for sure I check them for chips and make sure they are canning jars and not mayonnaise type jars. Some of the jars I have gotten are 50+ years old I got from my mother and family/friends that they were their mothers/grandmothers etc.

Online PD-Riverman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 01:56:45 PM »
There are no used canning jars around here.  My next door neighbor goes far and wide to yard sales every Saturday and in three years has only been able to find me 3 quarts.  The old guy across the street goes to a big church with lots of elderly ladies and I also asked him to be on the lookout for me.  He agrees with me that they all used to have big gardens and can it up but they tell him they can't remember what happened to their jars.  I think they went to landfill years ago.

In the last few years, you do not find jars here either unless you are at a Auction or get to the yard sales first---because so many New people started canning. I have not added any to my collection in the last few years. I have seen the ones at the auction sell for $10 per case, dirty and no lids----why people would bid that high I can't figure out. I did think about bringing some to the Auction to sell, but they charge 20%. I thought about getting the one that seem to be bidding the highest to come get some from my home----but I just kept them----a hoarder I am---LOL.

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 02:03:38 PM »
  I have on hand, either filled or empty waiting to be filled, 1200 jars mixed as pints and quarts.  I have about 400 quarts and 800 pints with the quarts being only 10% or so wide mouth.  I prefer the standard mouth on all jars to simplify stocking lids.  Wide mouth is somewhat more convenient,  but I find it personally not really worth the advantage in my canning experience.  Maybe if I canned larger things that needed to be removed carefully I would lean more to wide mouths.

Most of my jars were purchased on sale as low as $4.00 a case with coupons.  I would say 30% were either gifts or found at garage sales.   ;)
Barking Dog Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra

Click for weather forecast