Author Topic: Testing my .338 Edge  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Michael Lloyd

• Grasshopper
  • Random Pixel Generator
    • View Profile
    • Wild Light Imaging
Testing my .338 Edge
« on: November 05, 2016, 11:28:20 AM »
I've made first round hits at 800 yards on a 10" plate with my .338 Edge so when a buddy of mine and I were hunting on a ranch and he asked me to haul out my .338 and show the owner what it could do I was more than happy to give it a shot (pun intended). They set up a 55 gallon drum and made a "duct tape" X on the drum that I could see easily. Nightforce scopes are pricey but the Nightforce NXS is a heck of a scope, optically and repeatability wise. I checked the range as they moved the barrel and when it was at 700 we called it good. I really wanted 1,000 but it wasn't easy to do.

Once the target was set up and they were driving back I pulled out my iPhone and Bullet Flight app (that I have tuned to my rifle), dialed up 700 yards, pull in the weather data, and dialed the scope up to 700. The wind where I was shooting from was calm. The mirage told me that I needed some correction so I "guesstimated" 2 clicks of left on top of the 1 click that the app gave me for 0 wind, coriolis, and spin drift. All I had to do was dial the scope -15.5 minutes (62 clicks) up and 0.75 minutes (3 clicks) left. At 700 yards that is 113.35" (9'5") of elevation. For the non-shooters that's the same as holding over 9'5" with a scope zero'd at 100 yards. Side note: at 1,000 yards that goes up to 23'4" for my rifle / bullet combination.

I made the shot, the drum moved so we knew there was a hit. We drove down to see how close to center it was. The first thing I said when I got there was "dang it, I missed". The other guys were like MISSED? I'd call that a hit. I said- no, a hit would be where the tape crossed. They all thought it was good enough because if the target was a deer it would be dead. 300 grains at 1900 fps would be deadly even if it was a little high. The hole was centered for the most part but it was 7" high. So at least I got the windage right. But high??? That never happens. So why did the bullet land 7" high? I looked back up the sendero at the deck that I shot from... Up... that's the key word here. It turns out that I was shooting down (should have noticed that) and at 700 yards it doesn't take much to shift the calculation 7". When we got back up on the deck (the house used to be on Padre Island so it's up on stilts) I measured the down angle. The down angle was 22 degrees. I plugged that into the app and 107 turned into 103.73 clicks or in other words, -15.5 MOA turned into -14.1MOA. 1.1 MOA less hold over. One minute of angle at 700 yards is roughly, 7". Gee whiz calculators still work off of GIGO, garbage in / garbage out.

Here's the target. I write a long note on it so that every time I look at the photo it reminds me to check the angle. I have a cosine indicator on my scope and didn't check it. duh... The top edge of the tape is 7" above center:

73 NE5U

I just found out that my 100m dash time is less than it was. Thanks time dilation... thanks a lot...

“I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks”
- Daniel Boone

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Testing my .338 Edge
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 05:20:00 PM »
That's still a great shot, Michael. I am also glad to see you back posting again.

The Nightforce scopes are expensive but well worth the money to me. The F1 model I have on my FN .308 is by far my favorite. The edge will take you a long way out there and I think you are well on your way to some one mile hits.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline USMC130FE

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 06:42:44 PM »
My "I NEED" list just got bigger!
Sylvan Beach area, Northern NY, zone 4B

Offline Michael Lloyd

• Grasshopper
  • Random Pixel Generator
    • View Profile
    • Wild Light Imaging
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 06:57:28 PM »

[/size]That's still a great shot, Michael. I am also glad to see you back posting again. The Nightforce scopes are expensive but well worth the money to me. The F1 model I have on my FN .308 is by far my favorite. The edge will take you a long way out there and I think you are well on your way to some one mile hits.

I'm glad to be back. The thing is, the rifle is capable of so much better. I should have caught that much down angle. I routinely see 1/4 minute groups and less at 300 yards. Hole in a hole at 100 yards (I don't even bother with 100 yards anymore).

As you know, It's hard to find a place to let loose a 300 grain bullet at something a mile or more away. I read your post about shooting at the NRA range in NM. That would be fun but it's too far from to to go just to do that. I have a little .20 Beggs that shoots little 50 grain bullets (and smaller). It's a tack driver too but real sensitive when it comes to reloading. Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge built it for me. I bought my .338 Edge from him too. The package is called the Canyon Rifle and it came with the Nightforce NXS. I have an NXS on my 7mm Rem Mag, my .20 Beggs, and my .338 Edge... I was just sitting here thinking "I know I have 4 NXS scopes... where is the other one? I forgot about my .308 Remington Tactical. It's not as accurate as the others but it's a good shooter. There's something to using Hart barrels and custom actions.

My "I NEED" list just got bigger!

My ran off the page a long time ago. :)
73 NE5U

I just found out that my 100m dash time is less than it was. Thanks time dilation... thanks a lot...

- Daniel Boone

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 12:10:10 PM »
  Looks good Michael.  Do you rework your own 30.06 brass or do you buy it reworked already.  If you do make your own brass  I was wondering what dies you use.  I have one of my Savage 110s set up for a 338E barrel. 

Barking Dog Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra

Click for weather forecast

Offline Michael Lloyd

• Grasshopper
  • Random Pixel Generator
    • View Profile
    • Wild Light Imaging
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 09:22:47 PM »
  Looks good Michael.  Do you rework your own 30.06 brass or do you buy it reworked already.  If you do make your own brass  I was wondering what dies you use.  I have one of my Savage 110s set up for a 338E barrel.

I rework my own. I use my little Forester press. I also have a Redding Ultramag press that I should use so I don't wear out my Forster. I haven't resized any cases since I resized the first box and the Forster is fine for neck sizing and bullet seating. I prime with a Sinclair hand primer.

The .338 Edge is a necked up .300 RUM case. The dies came with my rifle. I ordered it here: http://www.defensiveedge.net/

The dies are custom made from Redding dies. Scroll down to the second item here: http://www.defensiveedge.net/index.php/products?start=15
73 NE5U

- Daniel Boone

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 02:00:32 PM »
  Hey Michael I must have had a brain slip.   ;D

I started building a 338 A Square based upon the 30.06 case.  I always confuse it with the 338 Edge as well as the 338 AE. 

I thought about the Edge when looking into a long range wildcat rifle,  but I settled for the A Square.  I bought the barrel, bolt face and other accoutrements for converting my 110 action but so far have not moved past that.  Once I started with building ARs again I let the bolt rifles sit. Thanks for the posts because it got me on them again!   ;D

BTW,  I am almost ready to put up my 207' end fed antenna,  so I will be contacting you on HF.   ;)
Barking Dog Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra

Click for weather forecast

Offline Michael Lloyd

• Grasshopper
  • Random Pixel Generator
    • View Profile
    • Wild Light Imaging
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 02:51:55 PM »
Well... your post got me to digging around and checking out the 30.06 based .338. I didn't even know they existed. I reloaded some .35 Whelen for a relative a few years ago. That was based on a 30.06 case but I had never heard of the A Square

I hear good things about the end fed antennas. 207'... that's a loooong antenna
73 NE5U

- Daniel Boone

Offline USMC130FE

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 08:46:01 PM »
Question for you guy's. I aquired a Ruger Mark II in .338. It's all stainless and was wondering if it could be converted into an Edge? Just a thought I had. Thanks.

Steve
Sylvan Beach area, Northern NY, zone 4B

Offline Michael Lloyd

• Grasshopper
  • Random Pixel Generator
    • View Profile
    • Wild Light Imaging
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 09:22:47 PM »
Question for you guy's. I aquired a Ruger Mark II in .338. It's all stainless and was wondering if it could be converted into an Edge? Just a thought I had. Thanks.

Steve

Shawn Carlock, the guy that owns the Defensive Edge site, is usually pretty good about answering questions like that. Basically a .338 Edge is a .300 RUM necked up to .338. That is literally how I make my brass. Drop a .300 RUM into the press, run a sizing die through it, bingo, .338 Edge. So if you look up the two case sizes (info on the web) that'll tell you were the changes are.

The gunsmith starts with a barrel, made by Hart in my case, for the caliber (.338) and then the gunsmith runs a sizing reamer with the right dimensions into the barrel. There are other machining operations but in simple terms that's how they make the chamber, throat, etc.
73 NE5U

- Daniel Boone