Author Topic: Lamb are getting big  (Read 3877 times)

Online MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
Re: Lambing is going on
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2017, 05:58:05 PM »
There won't be many more "lamb" pictures since they are getting as heavy as the ewes.  They have a good awareness about time and we usually give them some sweet grain and alfalfa about 3:30 in the afternoon.  If you head outside a little before 3:30 this picture is what you will see.  That blue tarp is the dogs sun shade but she gives it up for the sheep when they are mobbed at the gate.  They walk all over her if she stays in her spot.

Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2017, 07:01:52 PM »
That 's so funny. They learned fast.

Caption that popped into my head when I saw the picture was " Come on Mike. Get a wiggle on we 're hungry!
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Online MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2017, 07:12:26 PM »
That is what it seems like Maggie.  When you go in with the bucket of feed you need to keep it above their heads or they will have it.  Even putting it in the pvc troughs I have two that will go between my legs while I'm bending over to put feed in.  I can sit on them and they won't move.  The two that do that are obviously the most pet like.

Online MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2017, 07:15:59 PM »
Some pics that are a little different.  Our dogs haven't been on sheep for over two months but now that the lambs are about weaned we want to get them back into the groove so we can put them in the big pasture.  The sheep are so trusting of their humans that they will mob you when you go in to feed them their grain.  We had to start doing some passive training with Lance our Border Collie.  This exercise has limited use in the field but it is how you use the dog when you get the sheep into the holding pen for shots, hooves or whatever else needs to be done.  The lambs don't have any fear of the dogs at this point but they are still not sure of what that  is that is staring at them like only a Border Collie can do.

We use the Walk Up command to get the sheep to back off from the feeders and then just Hold to keep the dog in place.  At this point the sheep won't get any closer to the dog but they won't let the grain out of sight.  This forces the sheep to show respect for the dog and gives the dog a lot of confidence in knowing he can hold the sheep in place but not having to push them.

Online MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2017, 08:07:38 PM »
We weren't sure our guard dog was going to work or not.  She didn't seem to be bonding with the sheep for the longest time and she was really rough on the lambs so she spend the better part of a month chained.  We didn't want to do it because of coyotes but had no choice. Coyotes were a risk but she was sure to do some damage.  I posted awhile back that they were working out something since now the young sheep follow her around and she even goes and sleeps in the shelter with them.

This picture is our #3 ram lamb that we call Hoss because he was so big going nose to nose with Maisy.  He will actually lick on her and lay down beside her.

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2017, 07:50:40 PM »
It good to see they are getting used to each other.
I hope Maisy continues to improve her attitude toward the youngsters.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Online MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb are getting big
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2017, 06:50:54 PM »
This picture is cute but I wish we had taken a video to be able to have sound.  In this picture one of the ewes is being held in place in the tilt table and her baby is bawling its head off since she thinks we are hurting her momma.

The ewe in the chute was one we called Wild Thing when we first got them but now she is a big baby.