Author Topic: Miracle Calf  (Read 1890 times)

Offline bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Miracle Calf
« on: December 10, 2016, 12:40:03 PM »
..The weekend following Thanksgiving we worked cows and it took all day. We looked at the numbers of those worked and realized we were a cow short.. It was getting dark though so we didn't look for her , thinking she was hidden in the woods with a new calf. The next day, we found her- she was standing beside her calf. It was at least a day old and had never stood up to nurse.so we loaded it up and brought it home to the barn and brought the momma on the trailer. We gave the calf some shots and a bottle hoping for the best..  the following happened.... (cut and pasted from an email I sent to a good friend..)
 I've been working with the calf mentioned in another thread  the past 2 weeks. It would drink from the bottle while laying down and then plop over and sleep the first couple of days. I had several  nights of wideawakes because I knew I had a very short time to get it standing up .. I  had the answer when I woke up one morning and went to work rigging up a hoist for the "little" over 100 lb  thing. I came up with the contraption in the picture and worked with his legs , turning and keeping him on dry hay daily when he was let down . Up an hour  3 times a day in the beginning and increasing time up as days went on. One day, I was exercising his legs back and forth and had very little response ( no pulling back). I was getting discouraged because I have been on the failure end of this situation more than once  in past years.  I was already on my knees and I said "Lord what am I to do"?   "Should I keep trying or should I give up"?  " I need to know  Lord ". then, a definite breeze blew over me and I knew to keep trying.At that instant,  I looked at the calf and his once half open eyes were bright and full- his head was up. I knew without doubt to try another week .
 The vet came by to check our remaining bulls that are for sale and although he didn't look at the calf he gave an  educated opinion about it being impossible to overcome such oxygen deprived injury (birth trauma)- no leg movement etc.. . I told the vet I was giving him another week.. He told me" Knock yourself out  and good luck". I said again, I'm giving  him another week.
 When feeding him in the sling I ratcheted him  up in the sling with a come a long, I would pull back on the bottle and get him to move his legs and before long, he could lunge for the bottle. Use those muscles I told him.This process has been going on for well over a week.He got stronger and stronger.
  I positioned the mother cow's food pan so the udders would be near his sling . I shoved him over to sniff them and  she kicked a bit but not too bad. Then he latched onto one and then another and she let him nurse.
Since it had been around 2 weeks since his birth, I wasn't sure how much milk she had  so after he was finished , I offered him half a bottle and, as he was sucking it down, I reached over and undone his sling. He gently took baby steps and followed me across the stable. He stayed on his feet about about 10 minutes with no support. He fell and couldn't get up on his own but he is improving every day and there is  genuine hope for more improvement. He has come soo far. I think with more therapy  he will continue to improve
I believe in prayers ,miracles  . Yes I do - thanks to the Lord. That wind blowing over me at that moment was amazing   ...wow !!   judy 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 05:35:39 PM by bordercollie »

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Miracle Calf
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 03:55:18 PM »
What a great story Judy. We will all pray that this little calf gains more strength each passing day.

Double B
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 05:32:05 PM »
Thank you Double B. He still needs prayers because he isn't out of the woods yet. He is much,much improved but can't get up all by himself and I'm trying to keep him from developing " bobos " on his hips from the attempts to raise. His momma eats all of the hay he is laying on at night and that is the problem.  :) Thank you again.  judy

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 08:39:26 PM »
 Judy I am a sending a for you and a sprinkle of magic for the little guy.

He was lucky to be born into your care. I know you will continue to assist him as long as he continues to fight and grow stronger.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 08:39:02 PM »
Thanks Maggie.  I am using a  rubber mat  (open design type)  to keep him dry while he sleeps-.It will help fight those bobo places trying to develop...  the thought came to me this morning as I awoke.. I just love getting those answers to a prayer for help like that. :)  :)    :)   judy

Offline bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 10:00:58 PM »
The calf is doing better and getting stronger. If I lift and lean back as I  pull  on his tail- - to help him, then  he can raise his front body up. Now once he is up, he can walk around for  a good hour or more. Now he is also following his momma around and she is licking on him and as always giving that nasal momma moo. You cow folks know the sound.
 It would be hard to do this if the calf didn't have such a good momma though  . She lets me clean his  hip abrasions and medicate them while he nurses.. All this from a pasture cow.. that is practically unheard of.. I mean to be still as a tree while I do that.. No footsying around .. still as a brick.. I give her some feed but still she had been roaming with 70 cows before the birth, and some of those being high headed " fools" .  Another miracle ..  :)
 Physical therapy   involves  getting him to follow me around as he tries to suck a bottle. He is getting more and more in control of his balance. I still supplement 2 bottles per day until his momma gets back into full milk production.
 Praise be,  if the Lord is willing for it  to be ,this calf is proof  of  the power of prayer to show me He is in control  of all things.  Never forget.   :)      judy
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 10:04:21 PM by bordercollie »

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 02:26:07 AM »
Ms Judy, I agree with Mr BB and Mrs Maggie, that calf is in good hands.

You are indeed doing a good job to "save" that calf.
They are VERY hard to get back on their feet.

That momma cow is a gem to be gentle and let you work with her.
This is probably not her first calf.

It sure is good to hear how The Lord answered your prayer.
Thank you for posting this good post and the good news.
God Bless you and the calf.

You know you gonna have to give it a name.

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 06:33:23 AM »
 If I were to give him a name I would name him  "Vale" pronounced Valley after Valentino Rossi  one of the most successful motorcycle riders of all time. His number is 46. The first 2 numbers of your little guys Mom.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 09:30:59 PM »
Mr Horse and Maggie. Thank ya'll for the encouragement. That would make a great name Maggie and he is starting to speed around at times. :)  :)
 To combat the hip abrasions, I put the open weave floor mats that I mentioned earlier, on a pile of hay -for  urine drainage and then put a long gatealong side diagonally  to keep him on the mats overnight. This keeps him from flopping around on the dirty concrete during the night.    Today,  he rose up from his little  "anti abrasion pen"- with a little less help than yesterday. A minute or 2 later he got  rid of his "sleepy head" and started coming after me thinking I had a bottle  but then, he spied his momma who was loaded with milk . Zoooom... he went right over and latched on  till they were drained..During that time, I clean and medicate his abrasions- which look better and better..  Praise be !   judy
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 06:27:44 PM by bordercollie »

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 09:23:15 AM »
That is great news!

21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 03:47:11 AM »
That is good news.  ;D

I Hope he continues to get stronger.

You did/and are doing  a good job.

Offline bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2016, 11:07:16 AM »
Thank ya'll. :) He has sure been a source of encouragement to me  as far as being up against a rock and the power of prayer. Not just to help an animal,. but to show me who is Boss and what can be done.
 The bed sores are healing extremely fast  because of the persistence put into me... the ideas of how to do  things as far as  helping him,just pop in my head. :)  I still have to help the "little" booger get up by pulling backward on his tail- His front leg tendons are tight but they are loosening up  and when they do (with more exercise) he will be on his own. He weighs close to , if not more, to 200 lbs and is a little over a month old.
 Some pictures follow, the last picture is of his momma giving him a bath. :)     judy

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2016, 03:13:49 PM »
Judy,

He is looking bright eyed and bushy tailed ;D ;D ;D

I love a story with a happy ending. And one that is an answer to prayer.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 12:50:07 AM »
Ms Judy congratulations on a job well done.

Good looking calf & really growing too.

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 06:22:04 AM »
You have once again proven you have a Healer's Hand.
 Congrats on another successful save.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2016, 10:24:52 PM »
Thank you Mr Horse , Maggie and Double B. He is almost  shed of me. until then though,  I'm showing him to use those front legs by tucking them his chest when he goes down, under instead of straight out. It's working too. The legs are bending easier and (getting normal) - the stiffness is leaving.. The bobos are filling in with good tissue.   judy

Offline bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 01:38:45 PM »
The calf has been witha small herd of 10 near the barn and doing really great.  There is white hair  where his bobos have all healed . But other than that and his size, it is impossible to tell what he went through . A real miracle - When I get discouraged sometimes- I look back on what happened- I hope this positive outcome against all odds  helps others. :)   

I have some pictures to post of him when I can find them on my computer- they have seemly evaporated....
                                                                                                                                                       judy

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 12:29:06 AM »
Ms Judy thank you for the update.
That is good news to hear.
You did a great job.

Hope it continues to grow.

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 04:45:09 AM »
Thanks for keeping up in the loop!
I will camp out right here and wait for those pictures
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2017, 08:43:14 AM »
Bordercollie----Wow, am just now reading all this. Way to go!!!  Wonderful job you have done for the little calf. Warms the heart to hear of your care and persistence. God rewards such kindness shown to his creatures!!