Author Topic: Got any good deals you would share with us? Tell up about them.  (Read 3215 times)

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
Re: Got any good deals you would share with us? Tell up about them.
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2017, 08:21:41 PM »
hi gopher!  it sounds like your mom has quite the green thumb  :)   i will keep an eye out for the greenhouse.  i am sure i can find a way to either weigh it down or stake it down.  i might have some old tent stakes in the well house i could use with some of my orange garden twine.

today i saw the below items for free on craigslist.  i called the guy listed in the ad and he had 2 left.  he would have more later, but today only 2 left.  i called hub and he agreed to go pick one up for me.  when it got here it was much bigger than i thought! it took up the entire back of the explorer from the front seats to the back lift gate!

it will make an excellent raised bed!  once my onions are done i will use that dirt to fill it! it is deep enough that even if i wanted to do some toms in it there would be ample root room.

so excited!

Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2017, 12:28:16 AM »
Mrs Chip, congratulations on the good find.

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2017, 05:39:39 PM »
thanks crazyhorse!

here is a pic of the bin hub picked up for me.  i moved it over by the garden so it will be in place for when the onions are done and i have to shovel the dirt.

Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2017, 08:55:00 AM »
Mr. Horse,

Now that is what you call a good deal. Buy a ring for $15 and sell it for $450,000!! What a deal.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2017, 07:22:07 PM »
can you imagine wearing that all those years and finding out that you should have had a bodyguard...lol.  amazing!

there was an ad on craigslist for a piece of culvert.  i called the guy and he was very nice.  we talked gardening. he used to use it as a portable compost bin for his flower beds.  he would just put it somewhere, put his spent flowers or such in it and then when it was compost he would pick it up, spread it out and move the pipe to another spot and start again.  they were getting ready to sell their house so he was cleaning out all the things he did not need.  he agreed to hold it for me until the next evening when hub could pick it up on his way home.  the thing was bigger than i had in my head.  it was accordion on the outside/smooth inside. it is roughly 2ft hight x 2ft wide.  i put it in the empty spot where one of my potato bags were.  i am going to fill it with dirt and plant something in there for the fall.    i love craigslist.  :)

Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2017, 01:22:07 AM »
Mr Chip, congratulations on the good deal.
It is a  good feeling when a good deal comes our way.

About that ring, can't imagine the feeling if I had sold that ring for $15 .

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2017, 08:43:49 PM »
went this evening on a craigslist run.  a very nice man had some free yard tools he was giving away about 15 minutes from my house.  he was cleaning out the garage and didn't need them anymore.  he gave me the tools in the pic plus one of those plastic storage racks for them.  the little hand cultivator should come in handy. 

Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2017, 12:09:03 AM »
Mrs Chip, congratulations.
That is as good as it gets.
VERY GOOD.

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2017, 06:52:23 AM »
i am sooo happy!!!  guess what i got off of freecycle...

an old school upright chest freezer!  it has some rust on the outside because the guy had it stored in his garage, but i cleaned it up/out and plugged it in.  freezes like a champ.

when i say old school, i mean this thing looks like it is from WAY back.  it is marked  Gambles Coronado 155.  I tried to look it up, but the info i found on the company said it had closed by the 80's.  this was their private brand sort of thing according to the web. 

it was heavy as heck to get up the deck stairs and into the house without a dolly, but we did it!  i put it up on some 2x4 pieces so the weight of it did not divot my flooring. 

it already froze the water jug i put in there, but i am going to let it cycle until this afternoon before i move my onions and some freezer stuff in there. 

so excited!
Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2017, 07:03:46 AM »
SCORE!  except at utility bill time ::)   
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2017, 05:00:28 PM »
Congrats Chips!
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2017, 05:55:17 PM »
Mrs Chip, congratulations.
Hope you enjoy it for years.

Offline Bentcords

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2017, 07:49:54 PM »
I got a real good deal on 3 rifles last week. My stepbrother had moved to Colorado last year and has been storing his guns,tools and some other items and my Dads. He was in for a weeding and made the comment about wanting to sell 3 of his rifles. Once he told me the price I couldn't get the money fast enough. Bough a Winchester model 70 short action carbine in .308, Marlin model 25n in .22mag and a Marlin model 60 .22lr all for $200. The 308 and 22 mag shoot great, the 22lr does not firand after disassembly it needs a sear disconnect spring.   Byron
In the heart of the bluegrass. Frankfort.Ky. Zone 6a

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2017, 09:17:04 PM »
not quite a year ago I learned something that everybody knew about and did but me. I actually heard about the good deals from a post someone made on The Bayou Gardener web site. I heard about buying from Ebay and now am a steady customer. So far Bush Hog finish mower blades, JD lawn mower blades, 2cy tiller carb, air filters for the JD mower, swimming pool filter parts and pool chemicals. Most everything has free shipping and sometimes tax free.  This way of shopping has also been of invaluable help for me at this time.

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2017, 01:15:22 AM »
Mr Byron, congratulations on the good gun deals.

Mr Monroe, congratulations on the ebay orders.

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2017, 10:20:36 AM »
hey all

i had to go to walmart yesterday and noticed they started marking down their summer stuff.  they had pallets of all their garden soil, black kow and such out in front with big clearance signs on them.  they had the big bags of black kow for 3 bucks a bag. 

just wanted to let folks know.
Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2017, 10:13:53 AM »
hey all

aldi is having the case of ball wide mouth quart jars on sale this week for 9.99

https://www.aldi.us/en/weekly-specials/aldi-finds-for-august-23/august-23-detail/ps/p/ball-12-pack-wide-mouth-quart-canning-jars/
Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2017, 07:04:38 AM »
lots of good bargains yesterday.  hub was off so we went running errands.  went to goodwill and found 6 pairs of cute jeans for the little one for 2.79 each!  she grows out of them so fast i am glad to find them!  i also got her 2 jean jackets (one to fit now and one to grow in to) for 3.99 each!  we found a muppet vhs video for .49 cents!  i found a nice glass mixing bowl for 1.99 usd. 

we went to rose's discount store (it is like a big lots) and i got 18 dishcloths for 5 bucks!  they had one of the small green houses with the plastic marked down, but i have to talk hub in to letting me put it in the yard somewhere.  he is concerned about having to mow around it and not being able to weed wack to keep the grass down. 

i got a beautiful big metal sign that says 'garden' with leaves around it marked down for 10 bucks.  i am going to put it up in the dining room.  i will get a pic later today. 
Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2017, 08:39:26 AM »
This is a late report, but it more about the place than what is cheap.  Habitat for Humanities "Re Stores" have been very good for my business, just about everywhere I travel.  For the most part they sell donated building materials, an I find a lot of tools, nails an such for my business.  I stop when ever an where ever I find a ReStore. 

My best score was I purchased one of those walkers that have the brakes an a seat for $20 not that I need it yet, but with knee surgery in my future I bought it when I saw it. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer