Author Topic: Kelly Winterton Green mountain Multiplier onions  (Read 1357 times)

Offline richard76093

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Kelly Winterton Green mountain Multiplier onions
« on: January 13, 2017, 11:24:41 PM »
Does anybody have any of the multiplier onions
Thanks
ricky

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
Re: Kelly Winterton Green mountain Multiplier onions
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 03:50:12 PM »
hi ricky.  i don't have any multiplier onions...but wanted to thank you for bringing this topic up.  i did try to find you some, but everyone who does have some is already sold out. 

i did read up on mr. winterton.  he has been trying to resurrect the potato onion for about 25 years now.  He apparently ordered some potato onions from here

http://www.potatogarden.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PG&Product_Code=47SHAYPO&Category_Code=ONISHA

which after a few seasons went to seed.  he planted the true seeds and ended up with a bigger, healthier onion that he has been working on since. 

he has 2 very interesting pamphlets out there and some gardening journals available to read.  The last of the updates indicated that he has decided to cut back the numerous items he has been working on and is focusing on growing more of his 2 best items, the green mountain and coral mulitplying onions.  he had very little to share last season as he was keeping most of his to be able to bulk plant in spring 2017 and share more with folks.  he is hoping to be able to get more out to folks and bring the potato onion back from near extinction.

i did order some of the landrace seeds. hopefully he has some seed available still.  it will be a couple of years before i get an onion big enough to store and multiply, but it will be an interesting project. 

i would keep an eye on his site to see if he has any come up for fall 2017 that he will be selling.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lgKWwekS8n8PVMiza7-ZxcbU_BwIdL654oAIGBZas2k/edit
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Offline richard76093

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 06:17:33 PM »
Thank you wood chipper

Offline Davidx357

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 06:30:43 PM »
Is potato onions kind of a cross between a green onion and a bulb onion?

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 12:55:34 PM »
from what i read,  it is closest to a shallot.   it bulbs up more than a spring onion but does not keep as well as a regular bulb onion.

from what i read you can grow them from seed and then store them to put out again the next season.  they are bi-annual.  the literature indicates the second year the 'mother' onion you put already has a number of green 'daughter' cores set inside it.  the mother onion you plant out the second season breaks down and feeds the multiple 'daughter' onions that develop from it.  mr. winterton calls it a nest of onions.  she showed an example picture in his youtube video where he planted like 8 of these 2nd season onions and got 50+ onions back out of the bed.

here are the links to his 2 pamphlets if you want to read up on it. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tlnAG6epHBAd4SLOA4zlHa3EnA7r0OaZy6NpNUpIgHA/edit

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jnqst7-9YfWFovhqjARtcZZVJC0TPzKsow_5mdAwnyA/edit

Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song

Offline PoconoPits

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 07:00:45 PM »
Very cool stuff woodchip! Thanks for sharing. I never heard of these before~

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 08:31:07 AM »
Like these https://www.mainepotatolady.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=8

yes ragun, those are mulitplier onions.  i was looking specifically for mr. winterton's bulbs for rick as that was in his subject line. 

the info he has says most potato onions available were unable to seed as they had too many generations of cloning the same line over and over.  from reading his journals once he got some to flower he continued to grow them out from seed to give a fresh line to start from.
Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 05:29:46 PM »
It is my understanding that even with multiplying onions, there are short day and long day varieties. Make sure if you live down south that you get the short day variety so you don't get disappointed.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 06:48:33 PM »
exciting news!  a few of the multiplier onion seeds have sprouted.  i will let them grow for a good bit and then transfer them into the raised bed.  i will keep whatever onions grow and cure them to put out in the spring.  then they should multiply. 

Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 02:42:19 PM »
it's been a bit of a roller coaster, as we had some frost and snow this spring, but the onions i started from the landrace seeds are bulbing.  mr. winterton was correct in stating you just don't know what you will get.  it seems my seeds produced a mix of red and yellow onions.  i am going to let them grow out until they die back and put them up for the winter.  then in the spring i will plant back out and see if they nest out and multiple.  if they do multiply in the spring, i will be glad to share.  :)

Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 10:18:22 PM »
well, the potato onions are getting to a decent size now.  the tops are starting to show a bit of brown on the tips.  they are going to stay in there until the tops dry out.  the red onions that had split into 2 are developing into 2 large onions each.  i am hoping they will separate easily when it is time to pull them and i will get 2 for 1.  :)

Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2017, 04:58:58 AM »
Did you end up with more than one red onion ?
What is considered a "decent" size for them?
Are they a sweet onion?
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2017, 01:29:39 PM »
hey maggie.  of the 8 i think i planted, i lost 1 to a freeze early on, i got 2 red and the rest are yellow.  the 2 red onions each split into 2 onions in 1 set of leaves.  So after I pull them apart, there will be a total of 4 red onions to replant in the spring.

hub is working 2-close today, so he is not currently around to take a pic for me.  i will try to get one in the morning before he leaves for work and post up a new pic so you can see them.

they were only about the size of a golf ball in the pic above and they have added on some size.  they won't get as big as the candy onions do, but they should still be bigger than a golf ball from what i have read.

from what i understand, they are not a sweet onion, more of a mild yellow onion taste.  i won't know until the spring after they nest out, but will let you know then.
Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2017, 06:02:09 PM »
Thanks chips!
 I look forward to seeing the pictures.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 07:58:32 PM »
hi maggie

i had my daughter take a pic for me.  you can see the 2 red ones have actually split into 2 each.   i am just waiting for the tops to dry out now.  unlike my sweet onions, mr. winterton suggested to let all of the tops dry out and die off instead of pulling just when the necks soften.  he said generally they are not done doing this until about sept.   i am just going to let them be and do what he says.

Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 05:10:15 PM »
it hurts my heart to walk past the barrel where the multiplier onions are.  the tops are starting to fall over and the ones that are still up are brown at the tips and look like they are ready to fall any day.

i have to fight the urge to pull these things.  i am trying to leave them until the tops are totally brown and dead per Mr. Winterton instruction, but I have this fear they will rot or something before I get them to that stage.

i will be good and leave them alone....but it's killing me....lol.
Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 10:22:13 AM »
my potato onions are out and drying on top of the bookshelf in my sitting room.  i am watching them to make sure they are gonna cure up ok and make it until spring.  they were pretty brown and dry when i pulled them so here's hoping.

i lucked out and where they had split into 2 they cured up in the middle so i pulled them apart and they looked ok to store. 

i will leave them inside until spring when i plant them back out and let them split out. 

Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song