Author Topic: New Piggies  (Read 778 times)

Offline HeyBigFella

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
New Piggies
« on: January 22, 2017, 11:59:18 PM »
We just got a couple little piggies. They're suppose to be Ossabaw a tender fatter meat. Does anyone
have experience raising this breed? Any info would be appreciated Thanks

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: New Piggies
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 08:33:39 AM »
HeyBigFella,

Welcome to the forum. We are glad you are here and I sure like the piggy pics ;)

We have not raised that variety of hog but have raised many other types. The old saying that you can't make chicken salad out of chicken $&#% applies when raising hogs. When you feed them well, you will eat well. Quality feed will yield exceptional pork. Those pigs look mighty happy so I hope you will keep us updated on their progress. Where are you located at?

Double B
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline bigboberta

• Grasshopper
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 11:03:51 AM »
Welcome to the forum, make yourself at home.  It has been over 40 years since I raised pigs, and I wouldn't recommend the way we raised them.  There are a lot of resources to help you.  The first thing I would do is contact your County Agent for help.  If you have a good caring agent they are a great resource for anything pertaining to homesteading.

Bob
Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 11:56:23 AM »
I know nothing about raising pigs but wanted to say hello and welcome to the forum.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline HeyBigFella

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 10:17:00 PM »
Well thank you for the welcome from you all. There is so much great info here, I have a few more question
about the pigs do they need to be wormed or not. we have gone with a non-medicated pellet feed and They will certainly get things from the greenhouse and garden. I also mixed in some shelled corn with the pellets. I heard today someone said hogs that are feed corn don't taste good. Is there any truth or opinion on this? Thanks

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 04:20:57 PM »
Pigs do need to be wormed. You can get a pig wormer and your local feed and seed store. While your pigs are feeding on pellets and garden goodies, you will need to soak the corn in water for a while prior to feeding it to your pigs. If you don't, you will see it come out the other end that it went in and they will get nothing out of it. They won't need much of it while they are small but as you begin to "finish" them for slaughter, they will need more corn. The soaked corn will put the marbling and consequently the taste in your pork. Once you eat your own pork you won't be wanting to buy anymore at the store.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline Daniel Grant

• Grasshopper
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 02:52:58 PM »
HeyBigFellow,
I live in coastal Georgia and the river I live on goes past Ossabaw Island. These are very interesting pigs. The true Ossabaw pig were brought from Europe and are the only true/pure strain of those pigs left that have not crossed with other pigs because they are on an island. The State of GA. who now owns the island wants to eradicate them from the island because they are not indigenous. There is a burro from Italy that also has been on the island nearly 100 years that the state wants to eradicate. The Ossabaw hogs have interested scientist because they have survived drinking a lot of salt water and do not have hypertension. These hogs are reported  to have a high percentage of healthy  monounsaturated fat and it makes great charcueteria. Males run 250 to 350 lbs. Females 150 to 250, Liter size is 4 to 8
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor

Offline Daniel Grant

• Grasshopper
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 02:55:48 PM »
HeyBigFellow,
I meant to ask where do you live?
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor

Offline HeyBigFella

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 07:45:35 PM »
Thanks Daniel Grant that is interesting info you have on the pigs. My wife can't wait to make lard from the fat. The lady we got them from has a herd but said she is going to cross the male with a Durock sow and get away from the ossabaw sows.

We are located in St. Stephen, SC