Author Topic: Lettuce and greens plastic bags  (Read 1545 times)

Offline GreenDragonGardens

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Lettuce and greens plastic bags
« on: January 23, 2016, 05:32:17 PM »
For my CSA members, I want to put all my lettuce and other loose leaf items in a small plastic bag, somewhat like you find in the grocery store. Im not really wanting to use ziplock as it doesnt look as marketable and will be expensive. Ideas?
Alma, GA    Zone 8b
Element Gardens CSA
https://www.facebook.com/elementgardens/
1/2 acre in the deep south

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
Re: Lettuce and greens plastic bags
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 06:54:35 PM »
A quick search and I found these:

Inteplast Group PHNONP20NS 12" x 20" Plastic Side Print Produce Bag on a Roll - 4 / Case $ 27.99/case
Each roll has 875 bags.

Found here:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/inteplast-group-phnonp20ns-12-x-20-plastic-side-print-produce-bag-on-a-roll-4-case/130PB1220.html

21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline ONGardener

• Grasshopper
  • Ontario, Canada Zone 4b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 08:48:26 PM »
To be honest, I use ziplock bags for all my lettuce and greens, for the market. The only issue I ever have is when the bags fog up at the market when the sun hits them. But a simple shake gets the fog off and with the ziplock it can be used by the customer to keep the lettuce fresh. I had people come back the next week and say that my lettuce held up all week and they were still eating out of it. I buy my bags at the dollar store, cheap large size bags, 20 - $1.25. I haven't found a cheaper option for my greens. Another vendor used regular clear plastic bags with the top open and seemed to do ok as well. I always pick the night before for lettuce and mix up my different types and bag them, and then put them in the refrigerator. I have one that I solely use for the market. It seems to keep any greens very well and crisp.
Market gardening in Ontario, Canada.
Zone 4b.

Kubota MX5100
74" Tiller
Middle buster
Cultivator
Mulch Layer
Row Hippers

www.facebook.com/eaglevalleyproduce
www.youtube.com/theontariogardener

Offline AllisCA

• Grasshopper
  • Amanda, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 10:09:00 AM »
The grocery bags can be bought at the grocery or from a bag company that you surely have in your town. They come in a 1000ct box for 30.00. Whats that .03 per bag. Or when your at the grocery just ask for a reem or 2 when you check out. We sometimes get lucky with a generous bagger and get sever reems. From a bag company you can buy bags with the store logo or at least just a "Thankyou" on them.
As for the lettuce they say it should be in open top bags or bags with holes in them. I buy lettuce bags from the same supplier in a 1000ct roll similar to what the grocery has in the produce aisle. They come in a different sizes. I buy the larder size that holds on head of romain nicely.
Then there is the clampshell. These are more expensive, as much as .15cents ea unless you keep your eyes peeled for them at pizza shop or restaurant sales. The clear clampshells make the product look real nice, they are good for storage and help sell your product.
Whatever you use just make sure its new. Not allowed to reuse or wash containers.
DBA PoorBoyz Produce
Zone 5b

Offline cindyintexas

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 12:20:13 PM »
Just my 2.9 cents.  Ha...these run about 2.9 cents a piece. 

I usually just give my veggies away so I am not picky about what bag I use,  but might work till you decide. 

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Twist-Tie-Bags-100-Ct/11303925

What I like about these bags is you can pull them out of the box one at a time without having to tear the perforation.  They are a nice grade plastic.  They are easy to separate to place the veggies inside.  Every stand in the supermarket and not be able to separate the plastic to put your produce in it???
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 12:26:31 PM by cindyintexas »