Author Topic: Homemade Chicken Stock  (Read 870 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8
    • View Profile
Homemade Chicken Stock
« on: February 01, 2017, 07:43:31 AM »
I made a batch of chicken stock from some rotisserie chicken carcasses in the pressure cooker last night and pressure canned 6 pints of stock out of it. That oughta do me for a lil while.

Offline Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
Re: Homemade Chicken Stock
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 08:39:06 AM »
Looks nice and rich!
Someday I am going to take the leap and learn how to "Pressure Can"
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 08:44:53 AM »
I have 7 quarts in the freezer----so much better than what the grocery store offers. No comparison! Easy to do and so worth it in flavor.

Offline LoneWolf

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 11:30:31 AM »
I have 7 quarts in the freezer----so much better than what the grocery store offers. No comparison! Easy to do and so worth it in flavor.

Amen to that!

Offline Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 11:54:48 AM »
I have some in the freezer also but it takes up precious space. Putting it on a shelf seems like a much better idea.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline LoneWolf

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 01:14:23 PM »
Looks nice and rich!
Someday I am going to take the leap and learn how to "Pressure Can"

It's easy to do. Just a little time consuming.

Offline USMC130FE

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 04:45:07 PM »
So how does one make chicken stock?
Sylvan Beach area, Northern NY, zone 4B

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 05:13:54 PM »
Several ways to make it but if I just want the chicken (not making soup), I place the chicken in a large stock pot add an onion chopped up in big pieces and several ribs of celery. Next I add salt, pepper and garlic powder. Bring this to a boil and turn it down to cook for about an hour. Once the chicken is done, remove it and let the stock cool down. Once cool, I skim the fat off the top and put some cheesecloth in the strainer. Pour it through there and you can bag and freeze it or do like Lone Wolf and pressure can it.

We use lots of chicken stock and the stuff you make is 100 times better than what you can buy in the stores.

We use the cooked chicken to make chicken salad, chicken enchiladas and loads of other dishes.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 06:23:37 PM »
When ever we had roast chicken or purchased a store bought roasted chicken we would eat off the chicken a couple of times an then the rest of the chicken (skin bones an any juices) would be put in a pot an just covered with water, to which we added carrots, celery, an onion an bring it to a slow simmer.  Simmer for a couple of hours an then drain through a strainer to get the stock an junk all of the solids, as all of the flavor has been put into the stock.  You can boil a whole chicken too, but after the chicken is cooked through you need to pick the meat off the carcass an put the carcass back in the pot to finish making the stock.  Any poultry carcass can be used to make stock.  Don't let the pot boil hard because it will make the stock cloudy.  The veggies you put in the pot just have to be clean, an put in the pot without taking the skin off. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline LoneWolf

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 06:23:53 AM »
Sometimes I add onion, garlic, bell pepper, celery, whole slightly cracked peppercorns, lightly crushed garlic, etc., (but never salt) to it just to have some on hand with all that flavor already added.

Sometimes I just use nothing but chicken so I can add it to a recipe that will have all the veggies in it.

I usually make it in the pressure cooker since it only takes about 30 minutes of cooking time.

That particular batch in the photo had all the veggies mixed in it and came from a couple of rotisserie chicken carcasses I had stashed in the freezer just for that purpose.