Author Topic: Finally.....the Eggs have returned  (Read 929 times)

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
Finally.....the Eggs have returned
« on: February 01, 2017, 06:55:00 PM »
My hens will be 2 years old this March and layed eggs like crazy last winter.
This winter, they stopped in October and low and behold.....2 eggs showed up yesterday, and one today.
It is funny that 2 of them decided to start laying again on the same day. 
Did one of them whisper to the other.....hey, let's start up again???
I will admit, we didn't eat many eggs this winter and I really didn't want to buy those nasty white "commercial" eggs, so I am glad the Cackleberries have started showing up again. ;D
Fayetteville, Arkansas  Zone 6b
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
Re: Finally.....the Eggs have returned
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 06:37:01 AM »
FRESH EGGS!

Mine will be one  in April and we were lucky they laid all winter with no lights. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 05:44:01 PM by Maggie13 »
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline Pepperman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 06:43:58 AM »
The first winter I had chicks they layed all winter no lights needed. After the first real molt they slowed way down. Lots of days no eggs, energy went into feather production.  Now that the days are starting to get longer the ladies are being more productive. I use no extra lights in the process. Let nature take over. The saying about being a SPRING CHICKEN is true. But the older girls have a lot to offer. Lets be serious there is nothing better than going to the coop and all the girls rush to see you talking that chicken talk. Bad thing is I understand what they are saying. The saying old people live longer with pets in their life is true. Between the dogs and hens I'm busy without complaining. More chickens in my future this summer.
http://peppermansgarden.blogspot.com/
8chickens
2 dogs
A wife who keeps us all in line
Liverpool New York

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 08:06:50 AM »
Grandma keep 20 or so layers in the main chicken yard an a bunch if young ones in another yard.  I remember granny going into one of the yards an inviting 1 or 2 chickens into the house for Sundays chicken dinner.  Granny died when I was 10 so these are fond memories, how she took care of her chickens, but it was a working farm an the chickens had only 2 jobs, lay eggs, an provide meat.   She keep a slop bucket in the kitchen, an any scraps went to the chicken yard an as a kid our job was to scrap manure from the roost an spread it on the garden under her close supervision.   
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline Lost in Lebeau

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 09:08:42 AM »
I have some of those same memories Bill. I can remember when I was about 5 spending time with my great grandmother. She raised chickens and sold eggs. One day she asked "Hon, would you like some fried chicken for dinner today?" - we then walked out to the chicken yard and she grabbed one of those birds and went to swingin'. It's hard to beat fresh fried chicken, fried okra and blackeyes straight outta the garden, and homemade bread....make your tongue slap your brains out...lol
Shane
45 acres in the metropolis of Lebeau, LA (Latest Census recorded a whopping 110 residents!). Zone 9

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 07:52:02 PM »
Amen to that! 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill

Offline MudHog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 02:43:16 PM »
I still say the worst thing I have ever smelled as a kid was a chicken being dunked in boiling water to be plucked. My god that smell was awful.
New Iberia, LA - Zone 9a

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 04:12:06 PM »
Ya an grand ma had a saucer an a container of alcohol in the kitchen cupboard an once the chicken was plucked she would pour a small amount of alcohol in a light it off an singe the pin feathers off an that had a nasty smell too.  I have smelt worse though. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill

Offline MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 07:56:56 PM »
We just finished building two coops and started on the fence for the chicken pen today. Hopefully not too far down the road we can be getting some of those special eggs also.
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN