Author Topic: Winchester XPR 7mm Rem Mag  (Read 731 times)

Offline Allen D

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8a. Newport, NC
    • View Profile
Winchester XPR 7mm Rem Mag
« on: February 06, 2017, 09:27:21 AM »
Well I got lucky at my local DU Banquet and won the above mentioned rifle and also a 28 gauge over and under. My question is on a scope for the 7mm and also anything that a gunsmith might be able to do to the rifle to help it along with accuracy? Or do I just leave the gunsmith out of it all together.
Thank-you
Allen

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Winchester XPR 7mm Rem Mag
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 09:59:22 AM »
Allen,

I think what your intended purpose for the rifle is will be a huge determining factor of what type work gets done to it as well as what kind of optics you top it with. If you are going to shoot long range(1,000 yds +), optics you can dial for distance and wind are a must. If you are going to hunt white tails and elk, a medium priced Leupold might be the ticket.

I have not fired this model of Winchester but I find most factory triggers don't suit me. A Jewel or Timney would be a welcomed addition no matter what your intended use will be. BTW, congratulations on your good luck. Winning two guns is sure a sign of great luck.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 06:48:31 PM »
What's a water fouler doing with a 28ga.? You don't need that thing, maybe we should do some trading around.Of course I already got rid of my 835.Just my luck!
Wade
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 03:26:05 AM »
Mr Allen, congratulations on winning 2 guns.
With your luck you don't need  a scope. ;D
Just get in the woods, you will be fine. ;D

Offline Allen D

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8a. Newport, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 07:19:13 AM »
Thank-you all!
Double B long yardage shots for me right now are maybe 300 yards, eastern NC is so freaking thick with tangles ect... so I will look into triggers.
1shotwade I have been trying to slowly collect over/under shotguns, so far 12, 20, 410 and now 28 all by same manufacture...

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 08:02:54 AM »
well then,all you need is a 10ga and a 16ga. You are on your way!
wade
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!

Offline cubman

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Go ahead doc...make my day...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 05:27:06 PM »
No need for a gun smith...things YOU can do that are easy...start by looking up bore paste...

I'd go with a scope by Vortex...lifetime warranty, even transferable...I got a couple...

I live about 25-35 miles from Newport...I don't recommend a 7 MAG IF your going to hunt these deer...but, whatever...

LMAO...nothing wrong with a 28ga...my favorite shotgun...and I can hold my own with one...and have shot many a duck with one...28ga isn't for people that can't shoot... ;D

out... 8)

just because you can tell me the physical properties of your shoe laces doesn't mean you have the common sense to tie them...

Offline Allen D

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8a. Newport, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 11:17:21 AM »
Cubman, understand on the 7mm for these eastern NC deer....was thinking more for Black Bear. 

Offline PoconoPits

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 03:13:39 PM »
Not a bad rifle to win at all! I am a big fan of Winchester and Remington. Not sure they make a model I would not want to own. As far as a scope, I always recommend Leupold.