Author Topic: Crossman Fire Nitro Piston air gun  (Read 934 times)

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
Crossman Fire Nitro Piston air gun
« on: February 23, 2017, 01:13:24 PM »
I picked one at Academy and I'm impressed for the price. $99 with a $10 rebate was a good deal for the quality. I'm posting the link to Dicks because they have reviews if anyone is interested.
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/crosman-fire-np-pellet-gun-16csmufrnpwth4x32agu/16csmufrnpwth4x32agu

I've shot a few Gamo's and this is an underpriced gun. This thing is a beast and accurate. Up to 1200 fps depending on what grain pellet you use and it has a kick partly from the nitro piston. The only thing I don't like is it doesn't have open sites so I'm using a better scope than came with it and it's not as quiet as they claim but it's supposed to get better after a 250 shot break in period. I also bought some Daisy pointed pellets and Gamo Red Fire pointed pellets 7.8GR and the Daisy is junk. The Gamo shot a consistent dime size pattern at 35 yards. I'm surprised that companies are making different grain pellets and this thing has an adjustable trigger. The world of pellets guns have changed, you can get hollow point, wood cutter, pointed, domed, alloy and a few other types of pellets now.

Here's all the specs
Fire NP Pellet Gun
Features the patented Nitro Piston 1™ technology for blazing velocities
Integrated muzzle brake reduced recoil and noise (up to 70%)
Rifled steel barrel for increased accuracy
Two-stage trigger break
Synthetic thumbhole stock for increased stability while shooting
Includes CenterPoint 4x32mm scope
Fires up to 1200 fps
.177 caliber
Model: CFRNP17SX
Brand: Crosman
Country of Origin: Imported

I didn't know Crossman's were made in China, how did that happen.

Offline Okie Bob

• Sprout
    • View Profile
Re: Crossman Fire Nitro Piston air gun
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 08:04:06 AM »
Rajun, now that you've had it awhile, how do you feel about it now? I bought a Gamo a few years back for feral cats while living on a lake in E Texas. Couldn't fire a rifle due to nosy neighbors and the Gamo didn't seem to have the velocity I needed for cats and other than my granddaughters it doesn't get much use these days. Course I can shoot anything I want where I live now and the kids come down often and we always end up popping some caps. In fact, my older granddaughter actually saved up her own money and bought an AR15 in PINK! Go figure. They both have their own pistols and rifles, their dad being a cop, they shoot a lot.

Do you know which pellets you get the most velocity from? Just curious.
I'm Sooner born and Sooner Bred and when I die I'll be Sooner dead!
PROUD CHICKASAW, NATIVE AMERICAN
25 acres of Oklahoma dirt JD 4420 with a bunch of attachments.

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 09:27:35 AM »
I returned it, it has too much power and continuously knocks the scope backwards. So I could almost stack pellets at 20 yards then it starts moving. I ended up using 3 different scope mounts and still had that problem. I did order a one piece mount but never tried it. https://www.amazon.com/Instapark-Piece-Power-Magnum-Airgun/dp/B001A7NGOO/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1488899440&sr=1-1&keywords=Instapark%C2%AE+One+Piece+High+Power+Magnum+Airgun+Scope+Mount+Stop+Pin.

Heavier pellets make the difference, I found the Beeman Pointed Silver Arrow .177 Cal, 11.57 Grains to be the most consistent and it keeps the gun quieter. I also tried the H&N Field Target Trophy Pellets, 8.64 grains and they were good too but I would have to resight the gun when changing pellets. Everything I've read says that you have to find a pellet the gun likes and you also need to put a few hundred rounds through the gun to get it broken in.

I found a deal on a Hatsan Torpedo 100X Under Lever Air Rifle .25 caliber with a Walnut stock, fieldsupply.com had a "flash sale" last week and I ordered it for $124 delivered. It's a heavy gun but reviews are great and customer service is 2nd to none. It should be here Friday. After reading a few forums on pellets I ordered some H&N Crow Magnum Pellets, Hollow Point, 26.23 grains. It should shoot 623 FPS(Feet per Second) for 22.6 FPE(Foot-Pounds of Energy). The FPS seems slow but it's all about knockdown power and proper shot placement.

Sign up for a news letter and they alert you when they have deals and it's not just airguns. Here's the gun I bought.
http://www.fieldsupply.com/hatsan-torpedo-100x-air-rifle-walnut.html

Here's their sister company with deals on hunting clothes now.
http://www.wingsupply.com/its-back-realtree-max-4-max-5-super-sale.html?trk_msg=8EHU5J9GHN0KV22UE7M3HV1I8S&trk_contact=U7PM82M9IAFI730USVM5J0VM10&trk_sid=5EIBO4877D5S81F1UP1NLMORV8&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fwww.wingsupply.com%2fits-back-realtree-max-4-max-5-super-sale.html&utm_campaign=It%27s+back.+The+Realtree+Max-4+%2b+Max-5+super+sale!+Big+savings+to+70%25+off.

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 02:05:36 PM »
You might look at Hawk optics. Seems they have mounts that have a pin to stop scope movement.I'm sure there are others but can't think of them just now.
Wade
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 06:32:49 PM »
Rob I had the same gun but in 22 cal.. I left in Florida for the same reason. could not keep it sighted in..

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 06:13:58 PM »
Finally my Hatsun came in. This thing is a beast and smooth as silk. I popped off a few shots with open sites set at the factory and hit a bulls eye, with my scope this thing will be deadly.

I'm still waiting on more pellets to come in so I can find the one the gun likes but here's an Eunjin 43 grain, H&N 26gr next to a .177 pellet.