Author Topic: Old canning video  (Read 558 times)

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
Old canning video
« on: February 25, 2017, 04:35:51 PM »
This is part of history and I see people's comments about it being so wrong but we all lived and are here now. I know things have changed but is it really for the better? Someone suggested that we have more bad bacteria now and I can see that being an issue. Times have changed for sure.

Who has some of these old jars or remembered having to put a "Rubber" on a jar to can? What about that canner pot, I'd love one of those just for a conversation piece.
How to Can Food: "Canning: Cold Pack Method" circa 1920
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftnvtj1ip9o&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 08:10:53 PM by Ragun Gardener »

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
Re: Old canning video
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 08:11:17 PM »
Thanks David!!!

Offline Davidx357

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 08:42:39 PM »
Interesting more in how people lived then, than how  we would can today today.  The first pressure cooker must have been a dream for the wives,  120 minutes boiling?.

Online Ben

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 08:39:27 PM »
Remember the old lead jar lids.  I think they were actually zinc.

I remember the old wire caps that fit a coke bottle.  We used them to can ketchup.

I read not to use recipes prior to 1990 as for example tomatoes have less acid in them than the old time tomatoes.

Enjoyed the video  RG

Ben
Northwest La. zone 8b

Offline cappy

• Grasshopper
  • http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
    • Cappy and Pegodys World
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 04:30:05 PM »
This is basicly how we can every thing jellies pickles even gumbo etc.  We keep the jars hot in the oven the lids and rings and canning funnel and such hot on the stove in water.  Grab a jar from the oven put the funnel in ladle the hot food in grab a lid and ring with pinches place on jar and tighten.  Done faster than I typed it.  Quick safe and easy.  no pressure cooker or steam bath or big canning steamer.  No mess.  Keep every thing hot  and it becomes very easy.