Author Topic: Old Pressure Cooker  (Read 978 times)

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
Old Pressure Cooker
« on: March 10, 2017, 07:10:29 AM »
Since last year I've been cooking a little in an electric pressure cooker then I bought a real one. Well I started looking for a pressure pan, not a frying pan but something shallow like a magnalite. I found a few on Ebay from Presto called the Fry Master. They don't make them anymore but a few is still around. I bought a 1954 model.

I was also lucky to find a PDF of the instructions. I went over the instructions before I fired it up and I'm glad I did. The jiggler is spring loaded and was stuck with gunk and wouldn't work right. I had to clean it with hot water and Dawn dish soap.

Here's the Beaut

You can set the heat to get the desired pressure using the indicator on the jiggler.

This thing was before it's time and I can't understand why they don't make them now. I cooked in it a few times already and it only takes 10 minutes cooking time to get juicy tender meat.

Here's the PDF, it's filled with old recipes. http://libcdm1.uncg.edu/cdm/ref/collection/HENP/id/12226

WARNING!!!! You need to understand how a pressure cooker works before you buy an old unit and cook. You can't just fire it up and think it's safe.

Online bobcatgardener

• Grasshopper
  • Always starting more than I should! But keeps me m
    • View Profile
Re: Old Pressure Cooker
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 07:25:19 AM »
Those pressure cooker friers do a great job frying chicken wings. Man when you get it down right. You take them out after frying you hold the end shake the wing and the meat fall off the bone. Best tasting wings I have ever eaten!

Offline Davidx357

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 08:47:13 PM »
I just had a Wearever Chicken Bucket pressure fryer given to me.  I studied to be safe and researched the KFC copy cat recipes.  It didn't taste exactly like KFC but it was very good, will do it again and again. 

Offline ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 04:28:58 PM »
Thanks Ragun!  Wife saw this thread and just had to have one. Won Ebay auction last night. Should be here midweek.

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 08:53:23 PM »
Welcome to the forum!!

I use it all the time and it makes cooking easy. I brown the meat like normal then add onions and once they're soft I add the meat and water to make a gravy then just put the lid on and cook for 9 minutes once the pressure is high enough to start raising the valve and turn the fire down to low. Don't add too much water or broth or the gravy will need to be cooked down. It's a trial and error thing but once you figure it out it cuts cooking time in half.

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 12:51:11 AM »
Mr KSP313, welcome to the best site period.

Hope you like it here.

Pull up a chair and stay awhile.

Offline ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 09:44:28 AM »
In 20 years of perusing antique shops, flea markets and yard sales, neither me or my wife ever recall having seen one of these. Pretty rare and a great deal from Ebay, $12, 50. Thanks again Ragun!

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 03:12:02 PM »
I haven't tried this yet but I see it in my future. I think shrimp would be good too.

Creamy Chicken
2 1/4 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 tsp each salt, pepper, smoked paprika, granulated garlic and cayenne pepper
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
2 large onions, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
3 Tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 cup chicken stock or water
1 cup whipping cream
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Place chicken in a large bowl and season well on all sides with salt,
black pepper, paprika, garlic and cayenne. Set aside.

In the pressure cooker, heat oil and sugar over medium heat until sugar
begins to brown and caramelize. Working in batches, add chicken and
brown on all sides. Remove chicken and set aside.

Add onions and red peppers, stirring up any browned bits and sauté for 2 minutes.
Stir in flour, and cook a few minutes till flour is absorbed in onions and peppers.
Stir in chicken stock and return chicken and any accumulated juices to the pot and stir to combine.

Lock the lid in place and bring the cooker to pressure over medium high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook for 6 minutes.
When pressure is released remove the lid and return to medium heat.
Stir in cream and Parmesan cheese, simmer for 5 minutes until sauce is thickened. Stir in green onions and parsley.

Serve with rice or pasta and French bread.

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 08:43:27 PM »
If U want to try something that's good and quick, place the steam plate in the bottom of the cooker with just enough water to cover the plate, then wash some nice size red potatoes, eye but don't peel, pressure for 20 min, then let it cool down, get ready for some of the best potatoes U have every had, mash and add some butter, salt, and pepper, nothing wrong with some bacon on top, it better than any baked potato I ever ate

when I was a kid, there were 7 of us kids, Mother would cook enough potatoes in her canning pressure cooker to feed the hold clan, 9 of us counting Mother & Dad, Mother also had slice onion, and bacon, we always had lots of Butter, we were never with out a Milk Cow, lots of milk, there was no such thing as tea, we had Milk with every meal,

Rat
zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Offline ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 05:42:49 PM »
Say Ragun, received our bionic skillet last week! However, the seal didn't look so good so we ordered an original cookbook, and new jiggler weight, seal ring and over-pressure plug. Good thing. Did a dry run today with just water in the skillet. After 15 minutes on high heat old Jiggler hadn't budged. Suspecting it was stuck/bad we replaced with new weight and viola it came up to the first indicator line (5 pounds pressure)! But after 10 minutes on high, no more movement of stem indicator, the second indicator line for 10 pounds of pressure never appeared and we turned it off fearing something was wrong. How long should pressuring up to 10 pounds take?  Ever had yours up to 15 pounds (3rd  line on jiggler weight)? If so how long did it take to get there? Thanks Ragun!

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 06:19:34 PM »
I'm glad you're being safe with it.

I usually wet the lid and seal before putting it on the pot, it's supposed to help keep the seal from burning and make it last longer. Next time you try it out get the water boiling(don't fill the pot, it should be about 1/2 full at the most.
Don't put the jiggler on till it's steaming out of the jiggler tube and then put the jiggler on and that should make the over pressure plug seal up tight within a few minutes. When I start heating mine up you can see some small bubbles around the over pressure plug then it completely stops a minute or so when I put the jiggler on.
Mine comes up to 15lbs even on low on a gas stove. I usually turn the heat up till I see the indicator move then turn it down to low. I usually have all the ingredients in the pot and it's at a steady boil so when I put the lid on it's hot and it takes an average of about 4-5 minutes before you see the indicator rising.

You should be able to insert a toothpick in the bottom of the jiggler and push the indicator up, if not then soak it with Dawn dish soap and hot water and keep trying. It's odd that a new jiggler doesn't get to 15lbs. Was the stove on high when you tried it? As long as steam is coming from the jiggler it should be fine to let it go longer.

I know how you feel, the first time I tried and it didn't move I was thinking hot water bomb.

PM me your number and I'll call if you want more details.

Offline ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 07:38:01 PM »
Ok Ragun, I'll try those things. Old Jiggler was definitely stuck, soaking now. One problem was skillet had  boiled dry! No wonder new jiggler wouldn't move past 5 pounds. Thanks again for walking us through this. I'll keep you posted.

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 08:03:30 PM »
If you let it boil dry it will warp and not seal. I hope you didn't ruin it. Good Luck!!!

Offline ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 08:27:19 PM »
I hope not Ragun! I'm about $60  into this thing at this point, after winning bid of $12.50 on ebay. Unfortunately, typical for me. But, I don't cut corners on safety. I'm about half afraid of these things. In another life, wife had a pressure canner full of PHP go out through the pressure relief valve. PHP everywhere!

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 08:49:41 PM »
I spent my whole life making steam an you do have water bomb in your kitchen when you are using your pressure cooker.   Like RG said make sure the safety controls work an the bomb is not dangerous.  Didn't you say you bought a new giggled?  Would toss the old giggler if it doesn't work, cause you just go back to bomb mode.   What RG said was spot on an the same that I see when we are using our canner.   Vent without the giggler until you see steam, put on the giggler an the vent should close an pressure should start to build slowly right away because you have a closed vessel.

The bomb part is basic physics.  A coffe can full of water will make 1700 cans of steam.  What happens when a boiler fails is that pressure exceeds the max design pressure an the vessel fails an any water is now allowed to flash to steam an like I said it expands 1700 times the volume an that is the bomb part.  In the case of boilers you turn it loose like letting go of a balloon only it can be a few tons of steel flying around your building.
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 03:11:21 PM »
Update guys on bionic skillet.  Suspecting old Jiggler was stuck, I soaked in Dawn and hot water overnight,  nothing. Filled with mineral oil for a couple of hours, nope. Finally chucked it in a vice, took a center punch and ball peen hammer to it. Took 8 or 10 sharp raps of the hammer  to get it moved to the first indicator line and about the same number of blows to get it fully extended. That thing was stuck good! Cleaned best I could with Dawn and alcohol wipes. Kept hammering in and out several times and a portion of the indicator broke off, looked like Bakelite material. Oh well. Onto the new jiggler. Did another water boil test and indicator came up to the first mark. Good. More heat and time but no more increase in pressure. Got scared and turned off. Another test coming soon. I'll keep you posted. Gophers' law of thermodynamics is cause for concern!

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 09:25:25 PM »
Glad to see that you moved on.  I was a licensed  National Board of Pressure Vessel inspector for the State of Michigan for nearly 7 years.  Steam is one of the many great things that made this country a power house of Industry in our history, but thousands of people died from boiler explosions every year.  There was a riverboat load of union soldiers (a few thousand) that died when the boilers exploded on the big muddy at the end of the civil war.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGWmONHipVo   the link is to a mythbuster video, which is just an little bigger than your pressure cooker.   I don't want anyone to stop using their caners, but ya have to make sure your safety items work an your not doing a "hey hold my beer an watch this"  when you fire up that cooker or caner. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 11:19:45 AM »
I don't think that type of jiggler works like the newer models. I can't get it to stay at the 1st mark. It goes up to the max and then starts spewing steam. You can also use a pair of long tongs and wiggle the jiggler and it should release steam, it automatically locks on the pot so it shouldn't come off even if you tried when it has pressure.

If this jiggler didn't work on mine I planned on using the newer 3 weight system Presto type. I'm almost positive that these are the right parts. The vent pipe is 1/8"NPT so it should work.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UJZC7M?tag=cwj-20&linkCode=as2#

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HMBVQ8?tag=cwj-20&linkCode=as2

Offline ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 01:04:50 PM »
Thanks Ragun!  Gopher, one "went up" in St. Louis in April of this year,  2000 pound boiler traveled 425 ft. vertically, 520 ft. laterally at an estimated 120 MPH, equivalent to 350 pounds of TNT. Killed 4 at 2 different businesses. It was scheduled for repairs that same afternoon.

Offline ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2017, 10:03:20 AM »
Well, another unsuccessful experiment, brought water to boil and put on lid and jiggler and started timer. In a little over 2 minutes, indicator was just past 5# mark. 10 more minutes of med high gas burner heat and no further pressure increase. Steam spews intermittently from rubber over-pressure plug, I think that's the problem. With all cook times indicated at 15# and this thing not able to achieve that, I guess it ends here, sadly.