Author Topic: new carry gun!  (Read 911 times)

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
new carry gun!
« on: March 11, 2017, 08:02:15 PM »
I have now made the pmr30, a 22 mag with a 30 round clip my new carry gun.Some were discussing this weapon to a degree in a previous threat.Since I have had this for over a month now and am getting used to carrying on a regular basis I thought I'd post up a new thread. I

I know there was at least one person from the previous thread that stated they carry the same weapon. Thought it would give us a chance to discuss the pros/cons of this and other concealed carry weapons.I'd love to hear what you carry and why!
Thanks,
Wade
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!

Offline newbie57

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: new carry gun!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 07:09:26 PM »
I just purchased the 9mm Kimber micro a couple of weeks ago to match the 45 Ultra Carry Kimber I already had. Both are very good shooting pistols with smooth triggers. I carry the 9mm Kimber some and it carry's good but my favorite carry pistol is my Smith and Wesson 9mm M & P shield. I have been looking at the new 45 M & P but got to wait a little due to the last purchase. My wife tells me every time I look at one that I only have two hands but just like my Dad, I do love handguns. I like the smaller ones better because I conceal carry rather than open carry. I don't like to draw attention and open carry gets you a lot of stares or at least it feels like it anyway.

Buddy
Ford 2000 tractor, Covington planter, harrow, rotary cutter, cultivator and numerous manual labor tools

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 09:23:11 PM »
You've got some nice carry guns! Up until now, I have carries a Ruger security six with a 4" barrel and in 357.I carry in a looped high rider and as far as I know it doesn't get noticeI quit smoking a while back and packed on extra weight I can't seem to get rid of so decided to go with an extremely light(`3 oz) carry gun that I can carry without a belt on.I also like that it's in 22mag which will do anything I need sone on the farm while I'm out working, and it's so light it doesn't get in the way, and, I like having 30 rounds in the clip and 2 more full clips in my hip pocket if I need them!

I've studied up on this gun and it's had its problems, one of which was feeding issues, but I have found that if you take the time to load the clip as instructed the issues go away.I've run 4-5 clips through it without a fail to fire or fail to feed! On top all that, I just snatched up 1000 at $.16 per round. It cost me that much to load my own 9mm or 38's and more to load 357! I'm hoping to never have to use it for defensive purposes but if I do the extra rounds might come in handy!

Have you looked at the Coonan 357 mag autoloader? Now that would be a carry gun! But, it's a bit rich for my blood.I'm thinking desert eagle has one out also, but again, they are pricey!
Wade

Offline newbie57

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 07:50:13 PM »
Desert Eagle is expensive. I have two 357 revolvers, one is a Taurus and the other is a highway patrolman Smith and Wesson. I like the revolvers but prefer to carry the automatic. I really do like the shield 9mm but I need more practice with it. Has a slightly hard trigger pull to me causing me to shoot a little high and to the right just a bit. The newer M & P performance models have a much smoother trigger. I just need more rounds put down range to get better use to the one I have. I thought about having it worked on but the guy at the local gun store said it was not the gun but it was my lack of shooting it to get accustomed to it. He said I needed to put several rounds down range then decide if I wanted to have something adjusted. He bet I would be satisfied as is with just more practice.

Buddy
Ford 2000 tractor, Covington planter, harrow, rotary cutter, cultivator and numerous manual labor tools

Offline PoconoPits

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 08:44:39 PM »
This will only be an opinion of mine, not intended to undermine your choice of caliber at all. I have never had to use a weapon in a self defense scenario and hope to never need to. However a close friend of mine had to. He used a .40 cal S&W. The man he shot was able to run away. Indeed diffusing the situation but a .40 cal to the chest... Allowing someone to continue moving. I have always been a fan of 9mm until learning this. In my opinion in a real self defense scenario I would never want to allow the perp the ability to continue advancing. I now carry a .45 M&P with a 9mm backup.

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 02:54:42 PM »
  I prefer a .45ACP firearm for personal protection.  I carry a SIG P-220 American, Sig-Kote, Sig-Lite night sights and 7 good hardball hollow points with two back up mags.  I practice a lot with it even though I have carried it for almost 15 years.  I carried a brushed stainless AMT Hardballer .45ACP before that for almost 25.  Same rounds.

Needed it twice in New Orleans to "suggest" someone rethink their intended course of action.  Both times it convinced the persons considering mayhem to change course.    ;)
Barking Dog Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra

Click for weather forecast

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 03:38:09 PM »
A lot depends on the intended use of the weapon.My use while in Law Enforcement was to "eliminate the threat". In that case, the preferred on duty weapon was the 357 mag.Off duty back then the recommendation was at a minimum a 38+P load.The 357 mag outperforms everything in handguns with the exception of the 41 mag and the 44 mag, both wheel guns.The move to the autoloaders was for more capacity. To get more capacity you had to give up velocity and fpe.
That being said, I am no longer in Law Enforcement. Therefore my intended use has changed.I no longer am interested in "eliminating the threat" and am now interested in protecting against an act of aggression.If the threat runs off carrying some of my lead all the better. I have no desire to take a human life.If however, if the threat continues I have 3 thirty round clips to continue the fight with.
Yes, the 9mm, 40 s&w, and 45 acp have more energy and potential to do tissue damage.They are not near the best at it but you have more rounds to work with.I have given up the thought of eliminating and am now only focussed on deterring the threat.90 rounds should be able to do that.
Just my thought on the subject. There is no right or wrong. Carrying a  BB gun is better than having nothing.

Offline PoconoPits

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 04:05:09 PM »
Amen!

Offline ol hippie

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 09:01:21 PM »
I'm liking the PMR 30. Even though it's full size, it's so light to carry. I've shot probably 150 rds. thru it without any problems. I made sure I loaded the magazines like advised. I know to some folks thats not a lot of rounds.
South-Central Alabama

Offline Okie Bob

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 05:27:44 AM »
Newbie, I just can't make myself write that check for a Kimber but, I do drool over them everytime I see one!
I've been a 45acp fan, all my life going back to the 1911 my uncle brought back from Korea and I had it for many years.
Now, I carry a Bond Arms Snake Killer. It's a small daringer chambered for both 45 long colt and 410 shot shells. Only have two chances if I need it but, always felt if one 45 round isn't enough, I'm probably in deep doo doo anyway. I usually have one 45 and one 410 buck loaded in it.
I'm Sooner born and Sooner Bred and when I die I'll be Sooner dead!
PROUD CHICKASAW, NATIVE AMERICAN
25 acres of Oklahoma dirt JD 4420 with a bunch of attachments.

Offline newbie57

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 08:37:28 PM »
Kimber is a little pricey but I found the 45 on sale for a decent price on a fathers day special and intended on buying just that one. Always heard about them and I just wanted one for my own that I could pass down to my stepson. I found the 9mm Kimber on sale at Smoky Mountain guns and Ammo for $499 with no shipping or tax and for that final cost I could not resist it. Shocked me I talked the wife into letting me get that one. I already had quite a bit of ammo for the 9mm because I owned the 9mm shield plus the 45 does cost a good bit more to shoot. They are both real sweet shooters.

Buddy

Offline Jessiewoodard57

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 12:56:51 PM »
After many years of being a gun free house ( as per my wife's request) I have added few to the house.  My daily carry is a Glock 43 and home defense is an AR I finished a few months back. Yess I too built one before they decided to ban them. It's chambered in 300 blackout with 5 loaded 30 rnd mags. My Wife died of cancer 6 years back and with the way things are going in this world I decided it was time to bring the guns back. unfortunately the only place I don't carry is work as school campuses are still gun free zones. Hoping that will change with a new sheriff in the White House. Love the G43 for a pocket pistol I have been surprised by it's accuracy although if I had it to do again I think I would have bought the G26.. Benn away from the forum since my wife got sick. Glad to be back. Thanks Donald for maintaining such a great site.