Author Topic: Got our new herd sire - UPDATED with picture  (Read 324 times)

Online MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
Got our new herd sire - UPDATED with picture
« on: April 25, 2017, 07:30:35 PM »
We picked up our new herd sire today.  We bought him over a month ago but had to finish up another section of fence since we don't want any of the ewes bred until July for the 1st batch then November for the rest of them.

We have two of the 4 month old wethers in with him to keep him company and he settled right in.  I say settled in that he quit drooling after he got used to the scent of the female sheep on the other side of the fence.  He has been with cattle for the last 2 months and has not seen a female sheep for 4 months so needless to say he was all show off to the girls who seemed to be pleased with their new guy,
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 08:44:44 AM by MikeM »
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
Re: Got our new herd sire today
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 06:05:57 AM »
Mike is great to see you are staying focused and keeping your eye on your long term goal.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Online MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
Re: Got our new herd sire today
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 08:22:58 PM »
I'm attaching a picture of me and Ringo and the 2 wethers that keep him company. The other 3 will be in there soon. We are just following the method of the farm that he came from. 2 or 3 times a week they gave him a handful of grain and just laid a hand on his back for a little scratching. He is super calm and has let me do this from day 1. That is the only contact we make but they said that it kept him comfortable with people. I was surprised when he let me do that so soon.

I take care of the boys since Teresa is about half his size and I want to make sure we can trust him. I never tried that with male critters but it works with him so we shall see.

Online MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
Re: Got our new herd sire - UPDATED with picture
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 08:59:58 AM »
Our ram Ringo has been treated with a lot of hands on contact since he was a lamb.  He is 4 1/2 years old now and has been raised all that time with a lot of human contact.  He doesn't want any attention when he is in the ewes but when he isn't he likes a good neck scratch whenever he is let out of the gate on fresh grass.  He is the most laid back ram I have ever seen but he is a big boy so even though he is given a lot of contact we still keep an eye on him.

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Got our new herd sire - UPDATED with picture
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 11:05:01 AM »
Looks like a fine ram to me Mike. I like gentle livestock of all types. It sounds like y'all are really enjoying raising these sheep and I think that is wonderful.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z