Author Topic: 8th Annual Get together Give away items..  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
8th Annual Get together Give away items..
« on: May 03, 2017, 06:09:09 PM »
I know this is early but I'll warn you all in advance, this will be a long running post.... so don't hate me..LOL

I have some items I'm going to be working on in the next few months for the give away and will share the steps with everyone..

I'm going to start the post with a little trip down memory lane, 2 years ago I built a fishing rod for the give away and my friend Rick (Agragarden) won it..
Below is Rick with the winning Rod.. I had a full post on the old site that showed the build but was lost when the site crashed.. I will post some high level pictures from that build before we move on to the new stuff..

I'm hoping that if anyone is on the fence about coming to this years get together maybe this will sway you.

Offline PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: 8th Annual Get together Give away items..
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 06:58:38 PM »
Zook, thank you for jumping in again with a wonderful door prize. It may not mean much to a non fisherperson to have a custom rod but to a fisherman like me it would be a gift of a lifetime. But in saying that, it's not the reason for Linda and I to attend. We attend for the sake of being with a very good bunch of like minded folks. We are all from different walks of life, yet we are bonded by the soil we work.
"gene''

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 09:08:54 PM »
Zook, thank you for jumping in again with a wonderful door prize. It may not mean much to a non fisherperson to have a custom rod but to a fisherman like me it would be a gift of a lifetime. But in saying that, it's not the reason for Linda and I to attend. We attend for the sake of being with a very good bunch of like minded folks. We are all from different walks of life, yet we are bonded by the soil we work.
"gene''

May not be a fishing rod this time.. but....who knows..

Offline Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 06:31:16 AM »
I will be camped out right here for updates.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline tbird

• Global Moderator
  • Sprout
  • One Nation Under God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 12:02:33 PM »
  A custom rod to a fisherman is like living in a home you built yourself and the rod that Zook made and Rick won was awesome.  That type and quality of rod is a pass down heirloom piece.

Thanks for stepping up again with another unique prize Zook. 
Barking Dog Farm
18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana
Zone 8B

WJ5Y    Amateur Extra

Click for weather forecast

Offline PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 08:08:56 PM »
Ohhhhhhh, I can't wait to see what's up.
"gene"

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 01:07:25 PM »
I am trying to set up my life so I can head south to be at the GTG an I will have a piece or two to give away with me, or if life changes my plans I will ship another piece to Mr. D's before the gtg. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Online MudHog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 01:16:47 PM »
  A custom rod to a fisherman is like living in a home you built yourself and the rod that Zook made and Rick won was awesome.  That type and quality of rod is a pass down heirloom piece.

Thanks for stepping up again with another unique prize Zook.

If your Bill Dance and lay the rod on the deck of the boat and a fish pulls it in the water, then there is no more hand down piece.  :o
New Iberia, LA - Zone 9a

Offline PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 08:17:11 PM »
Mudhog, that's funny but you know what. That happened to me last year. I was fishing in Lake Henderson for sacalait using minnows and 2 poles. The fish weren't biting fast but we were catching a few. After catching one I put a new minnow on it and set it down while I checked the other pole for bait. The minnow was gone. I turned my head and reached into the minnow bucket and came out with a nice one. As I turned back facing forward I knew something was wrong but for a second I didn't know what it was. Then I realized the pole I had laid down was gone. As I mumbled out loud my pole is gone, I looked up to see it heading down stream at a good clip. Before we could even think of chasing it down another fisherman near it said he would catch it. As it went by him he reached down and grabbed it. He set the hook and the fish got off. I jokingly said oh man you lost my fish. He gave me a look that said "how ungrateful'' then I laughed and said that's alright you saved my pole. He then laughed along with me. It's a good thing the pole was one that was sealed and super lite with a very light jig reel. Boy was I really thankful, as it was a pole I won as a door prize at one of our fishing GTG.
"gene"

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 06:38:55 PM »
Before we start with the new stuff I'm going to post up some pictures of the rod Rick won.. not all but some high lights..

I used some dried red onion skins,, rehydrated it to wrap it on the rod, once dry epoxy was applied.. some custom Bayou Gardener decals and to my surprise it came out amazing..  Thread choice was dirt brown and gun metal...

Enjoy and the next post will be about this years project-s....

Online Boudreaux in Eunice La.

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 10:47:29 PM »
Ok I think I have permission to post a reply on this thread........

I have a real great door prize I am going to give away also.

I am not going to say anything just yet on what it is.....

I will make a video like Donald does when I get it and then bring it to the GTG......

So stay tuned in guys and gals ~!~!
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 07:19:21 PM »
Going to start this project with a little game.. I will give all the details on how and who all help pull this together but first lets play "what it is"...

Rules.. some people know the answer because they are involved.. so they can't play.. you know who you are.. 

But first one to guess what these are or what they will be will get a free Zook koozie..

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 08:56:06 PM »
If the 2 handles were the same I would know but the size of the wood is too small anyway

How many different items are going to be made out of the materials in the box ??
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 09:10:17 PM »
The large long piece of wood looks like cocobolo ??

Offline USMC130FE

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 03:20:45 AM »
Handles for tools.
Sylvan Beach area, Northern NY, zone 4B

Offline bigboberta

• Grasshopper
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 07:51:47 AM »
Handles for oyster knives or small garden tools.

Bob
Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 08:20:50 AM »
At this stage, I have no clue about what your mystery give away items.. I will also be bringing some GTG give away stuff with me.
1/2 acre bush block in the Perth Hills, Australia

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2017, 03:23:51 PM »
Well one them is going to be a cutting board. I see a few different species of wood in there.

The handles could be for a sharpening steel or stone to sharpen the knife made with the other handle .....

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2017, 03:33:56 PM »
Ding ding ding, we have a winner.. Steve, USMC130FE was the first right answer with tool handles.. I will be sending him a koozie and a Hat for Maxwell to model...lol..

So the story or idea. I wanted a model Hook & Crook called the Hummingbird to work in close to some plants, and got to thinking man those would look good as a give away item..
I talked to Randy at Holdredge Enterprises and told him a little about what I was thinking about doing, I think I ordered one for myself I don't quite remember.. I also talked to Donald some and next thing I know this showed up... all I can say is WOW..

Randy sent me some blades, one for me, one he wanted back once done and 2 to be used as give away items at the get together.

I was overwhelmed by all the pretty woods, and handle shapes.

First step will to do a little playing to see what works and what don't.

Offline Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 03:51:26 PM »
  USMC130FE and Maxwell!
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B